1 2 3
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/4/19 12:05 p.m.
j_tso said:

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

Is it the type where turning the crown one way changes the day and the opposite changes the date?

Does spinning the minute hand around change the day/date?

I think it's meant to be the one where one way does the day and the other the date, but the day doesn't seem to go smoothly.  I can't spin the min hand.  It may not be keeping great time, but I've fiddled with it enough, and there's enough free play that I can't be 100% sure.

bluej
bluej UberDork
11/21/19 12:32 p.m.
bluej said:
Crxpilot said:

Any Seiko 5 models with better than 20 sec per day variation?

My NH35/6 (4r35/6) movements tend to be in the 5 secs a day range, and they aren't even the highest end of the seiko autos.

I've ordered all the parts for a new build, and just waiting on the bezel insert now. I'll share pics here when I finish.

I'm finally about done with this build. I do at minimum a refresh w/ a few new parts, if not a whole build, every year starting sometime in the summer.

Still needs some cleanup, and of course the stem trimmed to length, but I'm pretty happy with it. I've got a few bands on order so still need to decide between them. One's more of a salt and pepper canvas color, and the other is black silicone w/ perf and orange stitching. I'll probably end up bouncing between the two.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
8/25/22 8:00 p.m.

Sorry for bringing up this old thread, but my question is relevant to this post.

I know next to nothing about collecting watches, but I think I want a vintage Japanese automatic.    I see there are a few sellers on ebay in India selling "refurbished" Citizen & Seiko watches for $40 to $50.  Is it safe to say these are frankenstein watches w/new faces?  new cases?   They just look too good in the pictures to be true vintage. The fact they have multiple available makes me think they may even be straight-up knockoffs.  I'm not the kind of person who'd wear a watch to impress people...but I'd hate for someone knowledgeable to pass judgement if I were wearing a knockoff watch and I didn't even know it.  I wouldn't buy an $800 new watch...but I also feel like counterfeit goods hurt the people who actually develop, make, & market products, so I wouldn't willingly buy a knockoff.  I think I've already answered my own question...but feel free to educate me.  

There are plenty of "refurbished" Seiko 5s from India sellers.   Also, this seller has sold 136 versions of this Citizen automatic

These look pretty different from a "used" watch being posted in the US.  This one actually shows some scratches, etc.  

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
8/25/22 8:30 p.m.

I'd say they are frankenstein watches with mixed and matched parts. The cases were probably given a polish. They show a photo of the movement which is definitely Seiko.

Not much motive to fake it, millions of those with 6309 and 6349 movements were sold in south and southeast Asia. I read somewhere that the tiny button batteries weren't as easily available so there was still a market for cheap automatics in the 1980s when quartz took over.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia Reader
8/26/22 11:07 a.m.

If you don't want to gamble on used, Yobokies has some relatively inexpensive modded Seiko automatics. I've had this one for about 10 years.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tdsJYPmphUruP55rNBWQlerJLOfdb7yLKuzUD4CUHiu8Dvysp9dgljsfbytas73T