Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/21/20 1:41 p.m.

I'm no gardener by any definition, but I have some sunflowers that are a side effect of having a couple of months off.

They're starting to bloom!

Look closely, I'm feeding some pollinators.

I planted some American Giant Hybrids, Mammoth Russians, and an assortment of smaller ornamental/cut flower strains.

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
6/21/20 1:53 p.m.

Did you plant them by seed?  If so, how long did it take?

6/21/20 2:00 p.m.

I sprouted the first few in a small pot, then transplanted them. Most of them, I just prepped the beds and planted seeds. The packaging says about 57 to 65 days to bloom, depending on the particular strain. I think the first round went in about May 5 or so.

The ones in the square bed out in the lawn are about a week behind the ones that are starting to bloom. They're easy to grow, although pretty demanding for daily water and they like some really rich soil.

I did this several years ago. I didn't bother to harvest any seeds, I preferred to let the cardinals come and feast every morning.

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
6/21/20 2:01 p.m.

Ah okay. I started a flower bed in my gf's yard. But this Texas dirt (clay and rocks) makes it tough. She loves her since sunflowers though, May plant some. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/21/20 2:07 p.m.

Sunflowers are awesome, easy to grow, and a great way to get kids interested in gardening.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/21/20 3:01 p.m.

Had a strawberry breakfast from our new strawberry patch.  And any day now, we will be getting lots and lots of black and normal raspberries.  Then soon after that, a continuous amount of tomatos.  

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
6/21/20 9:43 p.m.

We did a full setup of many tomato varieties, cucumbers, jalepeno, cilantro, and basil from seed this year starting in early March.  They had fun and learned a bit about where food comes from.  Tomato's are still on the small side but should be good shortly.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/21/20 10:25 p.m.

I'm a hack, but this is my attempt this season.

I have no idea what I am doing, so I'll take all advice.

6/21/20 10:30 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

I have attempted to grow tomatoes a few times. It's really hard to stay ahead of the bugs here in FL.

From what I can see, I think you're doing well.

MazdaFace (Forum Supporter)
MazdaFace (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/21/20 11:06 p.m.

Those sunflowers are awesome! The wife does all of our gardening. Had fresh blueberries on my French toast this morning, and for father's day today she made me instant pot garlic spaghetti with baked parmesan crusted eggplant that she picked this morning. Cherry tomatoes are also doing good this year and so are the various peppers. Going to grow potatoes in the fall. 

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
6/22/20 12:05 p.m.

You can tell a lot about the type of person you are by the words you use. 

When working outside in the yard, what is it?  Gardening?  Yard work?  I am the latter.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/22/20 1:40 p.m.
Scott_H said:

You can tell a lot about the type of person you are by the words you use. 

When working outside in the yard, what is it?  Gardening?  Yard work?  I am the latter.

bullE36 M3 is my word for that lol

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/22/20 1:57 p.m.

actually we doubled our 4x8 raised bed garden from last year into two 4x8 raised beds. have tomatoes, zuchini, cucumber, watermelon, cabbage, jalapenos, sweet bell peppers, beans, and a couple other things growing. The peppers seem to be doing great this year. 

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/22/20 2:32 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Do you have holes in the bottom of those containers?

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/22/20 3:12 p.m.

In reply to Hasbro (Forum Supporter) :

Yes indeed

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
6/22/20 3:34 p.m.

Yes, I've been keeping the local gopher population very well nourished, thanks for asking.

Mrs. Reven' actually witnessed a tomato plant get sucked down underground just like how they do it in cartoons.  

Toebra
Toebra Dork
6/23/20 1:01 p.m.

Yeah, been eating cherry tomatoes and peppers for a few weeks, zucchini should be coming in a week or two.  Tomato plants are about 6 feet tall right now.  In about 5 months I will have a ridiculous amount of butternut squash

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cXb5sC0q1N4LNR8sMJLkdR3PmHl06GpXuxcMJybddOCE8knbFsigmVg7ZbwCPTsP