Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
1/16/20 12:42 p.m.

My Hotpoint gas stove will intermittently continue to heat well into the 700 degree F range. I don't know how hot it would get, since I have an probe attached to an external thermometer, and have shut it off when it runs out of control. When this has happened, I've verified the temperature by checking the inside of the stove with a laser thermometer, which gave me the identical reading.

The home warranty company sent a technician, who replaced the thermostat, but it continues do have the problem; we're waiting for another call now.

When I first turn it on and set the temperature (it's always about 40 degrees hotter than the setting, but consistent), it usually will work. However, if I open the door long enough for it to cool down (as in putting food to cook, or checking food for doneness), then about half the time it will run away.

The technician that came out tried to blow us off, saying that the thermometer I was using wasn't accurate, but dropped that excuse when I told him I verified it with the laser thermometer. He said he would replace the sensor, but, "it didn't need it."

I'm worried about a fire hazard.

What say the hive?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/16/20 3:39 p.m.

Pull it away from the wall, and let it run until it melts.  Then phone the technician.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
1/16/20 3:53 p.m.

is it turning on the self cleaning set-up ?

many of the older stoves have a self cleaning temp that is much higher than the cooking temp......

just a thought !

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/16/20 4:04 p.m.

I assume we're talking about an oven, not a stove, right?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
1/16/20 4:23 p.m.

How old is the appliance in question?

I'd be inclined to shoot first and ask questions later....  or.... ummm.....   err on the side of caution.  I'd turn off the supply and leave the thing off until somebody properly diagnosed and fixed it, or E36 M3can it in favor of a new one.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
1/16/20 4:28 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

yes, my mistake. Oven, not stove.

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
1/16/20 4:41 p.m.

Our LG was doing the same thing, along with one burner on top. Control boards went bad. I killed it and bought a new one. 

codrus
codrus UberDork
1/16/20 5:11 p.m.

Sounds like you've got yourself a great pizza-making oven! :)

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
1/16/20 5:27 p.m.

Turn off the breaker to it. The control board on my Samsung burst into flames a few months ago. I knew it was flaky. Thankfully I was there to flip the breaker and pull it from the wall when it went. Not at all incommon. 

Margie

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
1/16/20 6:34 p.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

I read that when you posted it a few days ago. Gas appliance, but it's the circuit board we're talking about, so no difference, until the fire starts. Then there'll be a difference!

I'm not sure if it's on 110 or 220; if it's the former I might have to shut down the entire kitchen to use the breaker. Think I'll probably have to unplug it.

It's a hassle to replace it. There's a home warranty on the appliances, and they're not interested in replacing anything. They're currently preparing to spend $1100 to fix a refrigerator that cost about $500 when it was new.

Also, not my house, belongs to a relative.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2feV73Ba6iH8lirIvkNxMVwpRrwKcZ62lYjFbFqwNJdvp2vYLT6FFIHpxmwyCjRB