1 2 3
Gary
Gary SuperDork
3/16/19 9:11 p.m.

Geez, I love the suggestions here. Being me, I'd probably do all of them first, before talking to the jackazz. But before causing a crisis, is talking to him possible? Could you talk to him? Is he a reasonable person?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
3/16/19 9:19 p.m.
N Sperlo said:

I'll have to put some fill in and plant grass in the spring. As soon as I do that, I honestly think I'll put flamingos out there  Cheap, easy, and hilarious. 

Even better, flamingoes fitted with Takata airbag inflators.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/16/19 10:34 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

Big rocks.  

Or an unemployed sniper, but that might be extreme cheeky

Get A retired Coastie sniper. They are trained to take out engines on speedboats from helicopters.. taking out an engine block on a car should be a no brainer for them.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/16/19 11:38 p.m.

In all seriousness, you should just go talk to them first.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/17/19 9:05 a.m.

If you were going to put rocks, I would consider making a drainage area between the grass and the street out of them. Yes, they will park on it, but at least they won't do any damage. Other alternative is to trench a drainage ditch

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
3/17/19 9:07 a.m.
Appleseed said:

I'd do this, rather than sitting around dreaming up passive aggressive stunts.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/17/19 9:10 a.m.

Ping flamingos.  Made out of reinforced concrete.  Double Win!

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
3/17/19 9:57 a.m.

I think reflectors would also be an acceptable way of sending a message without coming accross like a passive aggressive d bag with some over the top gesture. 

Wally
Wally MegaDork
3/17/19 10:04 a.m.
stuart in mn said:
Appleseed said:

What fun is that?

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
3/17/19 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Wally :

It's not letting me give you a thumbs up for some reason, but that was my thought as well

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
3/17/19 10:50 a.m.

He hasn’t talked to them only because he doesn’t know WHO to talk to yet (right?).

I have neighbors next to my vacant, project house in town who like to put wheels in the grass (past a pretty square curb!) when they park on the street.  They mostly keep to their property.  When it spills over to mine I leave a simple note under a windshield wiper “please don’t park on my grass” which has been effective (I think I’ve had to do it twice in 5 years).  

The problem, if it’s visitors, is they don’t care and/or there are too many different ones to reach.

My first try would be little reflectors on metal rods.  If they run over those then they’re just negligent and/or shiny happy people (always a strong possibility).  The reflectors should be very effective, I think.  Flamingos will be equally effective and infinitely more hilarious.

A few years ago someone (presumably visiting a neighbor up the street) blocked my driveway while I was there painting so I just cleaned my paintbrush on their tire.  I’m not proud of that, lol.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/17/19 10:54 a.m.

Whatever you do, put flamingos up anyway.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/17/19 11:10 a.m.
Wally said:
stuart in mn said:
Appleseed said:

What fun is that?

There are no winners in neighbor wars. Only casualties. 

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
3/17/19 11:19 a.m.

Illuminated plastic flamingos?

Nugi
Nugi Reader
3/17/19 1:21 p.m.

In reply to paranoid_android :

These would get stolen in a heartbeat if my teenage self lived within 20 miles of where they were displayed unsecured. This will just lead to more trespass hijinks. 

I still say do it, and film the carnage, post on youtube, monitize, profit. 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
3/17/19 1:27 p.m.

This has a air of familiarity .    Just be careful where you park your vehicles.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/17/19 1:48 p.m.

Large chunks of concrete hidden in piles of leaves. 

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
3/17/19 6:30 p.m.

I see a ton of people come and go as the house is being worked on and spoken with a few in the past. They seemed pretty nice. So like I said, I have no idea who trenched the small spot that was tore up. In fact, I'm sure if I walked over there now, I could tell them someone did and ask for some dirt out of the pile in the front yard and they'd probably let me take it. For berkeleys sake, it could have been my father-in-law that did it (because he usually parks there), but I've seen the way the neighbors make u-turns there. If it becomes a real problem, I'll handle it as needed, but to be completely honest, I really wanted to hear the insane ideas GRM would come up with. Really, if you saw how minor the trench was, you'd probably laugh.

Pretty sure I'm still gonna put some flamingos there while I re-grow the grass.

drainoil
drainoil Dork
3/17/19 6:50 p.m.

Glad I didn’t take the bait lol

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
3/17/19 10:00 p.m.

Better throw in a plastic owl or two for good measure ;)

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
3/17/19 10:02 p.m.
ClemSparks said:

Better throw in a plastic owl or two for good measure ;)

An army of flamingo's says, "I'm watchin." An owl just says, "I don't get a hoot!"

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
3/17/19 10:55 p.m.

Here people use little concrete domes about 8" diameter. Must be available at HD or Lowes or something because I see them all over. Will get a pic of some of the neighbors tomorrow.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/17/19 11:26 p.m.

Dragons teeth.

They are a poured concrete anti-tank barrier used by the Germans in the Siegfried line... you know... in case someone shows up in a Sherman tank.

Hey, it could happen.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
3/18/19 12:09 a.m.

Pit is not good, fills up with water and you end up with mosquitoes,

I like the light up pink flamingo, though I would maybe go old school flamingo, paint it with reflective paint and put solar lights so they shine on the flamingoes.  Bound to be some casualties though. 

Want to be careful about liability issues if you put dragon's teeth out there and someone wrecks into it on the day they were not driving their Sherman Tank

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/18/19 6:17 a.m.

Some of these suggestions seem to be made by folks who don't have to mow their own grass.  Adding additional things to mow and trim around would be the last thing I'd want.  Ditto nails in the grass.

A picture of the OP's lawn and issues would help.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dBPo7Wo6tBwPG5pAStv9YjdoJixgp5Go7UDtCwedXuaklVS63ANy3VrudbGqdXXk