Drewsifer
Drewsifer Dork
5/1/14 10:25 p.m.

So we recently purchased a house and on the property there are two sheds. Even though we couldn't go in and look, we looked through the windows before closing and neither looked salvageable (at least not for my skill level). And sure enough after we cut the locks off, the floors have rotted out from both of them and the support beams on another (neither looked particularly well made). SO here's my question, do I just borrow a truck and haul them away? Put it on craigslist? Purify the site with fire?

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
5/1/14 10:34 p.m.

Fire if it doesn't run the risk of spreading, or any other issues like fire ordinance, ect.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Reader
5/1/14 10:58 p.m.

Fires always fun, although you may be able to make a little $ on craigslist selling them. When we moved to our current house I had an old metal shed I had moved twice before so it was in pretty rough shape and I still made 150 selling it on craigslist three guys showed up paid me and disassembled and piled it in the back of an overloaded f150

ryanty22
ryanty22 Reader
5/1/14 10:58 p.m.

Little advice if your gonna purify with fire remove any plastic siding first. Been there made that mistake before

captdownshift
captdownshift HalfDork
5/2/14 6:52 a.m.

an hour or 2 of therapic sldehammering and removal of all not wood bits then fire.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
5/2/14 7:23 a.m.

before you remove anything.. do you have plans to replace them? If so, you might lose any grandfathered variances on the sheds if you tear them down now and decide to put the new ones up later

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
5/2/14 8:51 a.m.

This is an amazing opportunity!

To buy the biggest meanest sawzall you can find.

The grandfathered variance thing is a good heads up. Municipal rules are bitches and don't underestimate the desire of your neighbors to see your property cleaned up for their benefit.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
5/2/14 9:40 a.m.

Be careful with the fire thing.

In most places not allowed.

However, if rural, contact the volunteer fire dept. they might burn them as a training exercise.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
5/2/14 10:16 a.m.

Method depends on the size and amount of rot.

I have a rotten (about halfway up) wood shed about the size of a car at my moms that I might be demolishing before we sell the house.

Plan involves inviting a few friends over, a pile of weapons (maul, sledge, axe, big crowbar, etc) and having at it (oh yeah, ample supply of beer). I also have a chainsaw and battery operated sawzall if it comes to that. Sheds goin down.. simple as that.

Just need a pickup truck to haul the debris to the dump.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Dork
5/2/14 11:00 a.m.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GI_Drewsifer/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140415_180450_zpsj5kxsh7f.jpg.html][/URL]

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
5/2/14 11:16 a.m.

That shed would require a full permit in my area. It is way over the allowable "storage/Garden shed" allowance. The concrete pad would also be a no-no.

I would fix that up.

Pete

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
5/2/14 11:23 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLjS3gzHetA

Karacticus
Karacticus Reader
5/2/14 12:12 p.m.

Preferred method for old outbuildings around here is to bring in excavator, dig hole, knock building into hole, recover with dirt.

ryanty22
ryanty22 Reader
5/2/14 12:15 p.m.
Drewsifer wrote: So we recently purchased a house and on the property there are two sheds. Even though we couldn't go in and look, we looked through the windows before closing and neither looked salvageable (at least not for my skill level). And sure enough after we cut the locks off, the floors have rotted out from both of them and the support beams on another (neither looked particularly well made). SO here's my question, do I just borrow a truck and haul them away? Put it on craigslist? Purify the site with fire?

This is GRM there is no "not for my skill level" Think of it like rebuilding a car, nothing you cant do

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
5/2/14 12:15 p.m.

Pretty sure this is the exact reason they invented dynamite.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
5/2/14 12:24 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: That shed would require a full permit in my area. It is way over the allowable "storage/Garden shed" allowance. The concrete pad would also be a no-no. I would fix that up. Pete

+1. It depends a LOT on whre you are and local codes (often available online with some searching), but the square foot limit on out-buildings (shed, etc) is 100 sq ft. Larger than that and you'll need a permit.

To answer your OP, again - it depends. Where I live (in the suburbs - fire isn't an option), I'll have to rent a dumpster to put the demo debris into (I need to replace my rotted 8x6 shed). Or I can cut it up into little squares and toss it into my regular trash over a period of weeks (or months).

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
5/2/14 12:34 p.m.

Hmm with that fence nearby I would go against the burning as it stands. I would knock it down and then just burn a 1/4 of it at a time. Burn it at night so no one see the black smoke from the plastic bits. Then take a big speaker magnet on a string and clean up all the metal that's left behind.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
5/2/14 2:47 p.m.

It's simple math..

Sawzall+your buddies+alcohol+legal firepit = problem solved in a couple of weekends

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BZtnYfOQUriZgMVn4Ixx2egsNBRDOp6PzzbSp1xCpZR2XLUygbtLWxkSVZnOZajm