1 2 3 4
NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
4/21/18 6:51 p.m.

Frozen tortellini

Chicken broth

Salsa

Can of black beans

Boil tortellini in broth till half cooked, add salsa and beans, cook until tortellini done.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
4/21/18 7:01 p.m.

Dice bacon strips and cook in pot on low heat until about half done. Add a diced onion and cook til onions are clear and soft, bacon is not crispy. Don't drain fat. Dump in cooked, drained flat noodles, stir.

Serve with cole slaw on the side.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
4/21/18 8:30 p.m.

Suprf1y:  Good lord, that sounds greasy.  Is it?  If not, how is this possible?

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
4/21/18 9:07 p.m.

Not really ghetto...more Appalachian-American:

Cover whole 4-5lb chicken with water. Cook in crock pot. (Or boil if you don’t have a crock pot.)

Make your own noodles, you berkeleyin rich, lazy snobs! (jokes) But seriously, It’s flour, egg, & baking powder for berkeleyssake.

Shred the chicken. Boil the chicken water in a pot. Add the noodles. Add a simple roux to thicken. Add copious amounts of pepper. Add the chicken when noodles are done.

Feed an army with REAL FOOD for 5-10 bucks.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield New Reader
4/21/18 9:29 p.m.

We like to add browned ground turkey, frozen corn, can of kidney beans or black beans(drained and rinsed), jar of your favorite salsa to our kraft mac & cheese. 

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
4/21/18 9:40 p.m.

Is this only for mac&cheese? Ramen noodles are very cheap and adding things to them makes a meal. Dice up hot dogs, sliced potatoes, drop an egg into it, add a can of chili, add cheese, any combination of listed but not limited to this list. Imagination can make a meal from it. These are just a few of my favorites to add. It still is my favorite go-to when I'm not feeling well (read: sick), easy on the stomach.

Also additionally, I make omelets out of whatever left overs are in the fridge. Favorite is taco meat. But have made it using chicken, turkey, hot dogs, sausage, bologna, roast, steak, fish, even tuna salad. Using leftovers for a completely different meal is cheap, right? Will sometimes even make it for dinner.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate New Reader
4/21/18 10:06 p.m.

Do you know where poor meatballs live?

The spaghetto

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
4/21/18 10:50 p.m.
BlindPirate said:

Do you know where poor meatballs live?

The spaghetto

I just lost my E36 M3. I love you, random internet funnyist.

Not just for Kraft Dinner. Cheap is cheap and I like cheap in most forms. Ramen is a personal fav, though the better half has a great aversion to me spending money on it. Or eating it. Or me asking if I can get some. Man, I miss that stuff.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
4/22/18 6:05 a.m.

Before baking a tray of mac and cheese put a layer of corn flake crumbs on top. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/22/18 6:57 a.m.

My daughter used to live on Ramen.  She doctored it heavily though.  No idea what she used.  Today, she makes a trash can omelet.  

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/22/18 7:01 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

Not really ghetto...more Appalachian-American:

Cover whole 4-5lb chicken with water. Cook in crock pot. (Or boil if you don’t have a crock pot.)

Make your own noodles, you berkeleyin rich, lazy snobs! (jokes) But seriously, It’s flour, egg, & baking powder for berkeleyssake.

Shred the chicken. Boil the chicken water in a pot. Add the noodles. Add a simple roux to thicken. Add copious amounts of pepper. Add the chicken when noodles are done.

Feed an army with REAL FOOD for 5-10 bucks.

This, but with rice instead of noodles and bake like a casserole. My wife makes it fairly often. Good stuff. 

My favorite cheap food is to clean the refrigerator into a soup pot. I usually start with a chicken carcass and add whatever is in the fridge to it. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/22/18 7:16 a.m.

++

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
4/22/18 7:22 a.m.
pres589 said:

Or, you could say it like this: Mmm, that sounds tasty.  If not, can you add more bacon?

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
4/22/18 8:42 a.m.
pres589 said:

You would think but it's not at all greasy. Drained noodles are really dry on their own and the bacon fat spreads out so much you would never even know it was there. If it is greasy you've either used too much bacon or not enough noodles, in which case you wouldn't notice it because you're too busy eating yummy bacon.

Use about 3 slices per person

If you want the fancy (real) version of this, use spatzle. It's what we do with out left over spatzle noodles.

And since you guys seem to be obsessed with cheese you can take the above, line a baking dish with bread crumbs, a layer of spatzle and bacon, shredded cheese (emmentaler works but so does mozz), another layer of spatzle, repeat. Top with caramelized onions and more cheese, bake for 20 mins to melt the cheese.

And then you have Schwäbische Käsespätzle. I just made it this week for my wife.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
4/22/18 12:16 p.m.

Standard Costco spiral cut ham + internet hacked brown sugar drizzle sauce = Honey Faked Ham…shhhh

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
4/22/18 1:39 p.m.

4 ingredients: ground beef or chorizo, 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chiles (Rotel), 1 package of Spanish rice, shredded cheese.

1. Drain the juice from the  tomatoes into a saucepan.

2. Brown meat in skillet with drained tomatoes/chiles. Drain grease when meat is fully cooked

3. Cook rice in the saucepan with the spicy tomato juices, adding only enough water so that the combined juice/water equals the amount of water in the Spanish rice box.

4. Combine Spanish rice with meaty tomato mixture in skillet and cover with shredded cheese until melted.

Can be enjoyed with tortilla chips if desired

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
4/22/18 2:50 p.m.

Jailhouse dinner, from a friend who learned it in county:

Bust up a pack of ramen noodles in a ziplock bag with the flavor packet. Crush up one of the snack sized bags of cheetos and pour it in. Tear up a couple slim Jims and add that. Pour in enough warm water to just cover everything. Leave it on your bunk for about 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Eat with a blunt utensil.

johndej
johndej HalfDork
4/22/18 4:01 p.m.

I've made several from this list that were great

15 Easy And Healthy Meals For When You're Completely Broke

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
4/23/18 9:21 a.m.
Suprf1y said:

Dice bacon strips and cook in pot on low heat until about half done. Add a diced onion and cook til onions are clear and soft, bacon is not crispy. Don't drain fat. Dump in cooked, drained flat noodles, stir.

A sicilian girl that I dated made something very similar but added an egg to the hot noodles as well .apparently it's a traditional Sicilian dish.

I like sardine sandwiches I make a sardine salad sandwich very similar to a tuna fish sandwich and I also add sardines to almost any sandwich.

. Ramen noodles with vegetables makes a great meal

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
4/23/18 11:13 a.m.

That recipe was originally German but altered for those who don't have access to spaetzle.

Here's a beauty that sounds disgusting but is really, really good.

Same flat noodles cooked and drained. Add a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup. Mix in pot. Add cut up hot dogs, heat and serve. I like it with fresh ground pepper.

Sounds disgusting - there's not a berkeleying chance I would have eaten if I didn't trust my wife 100%, but it really is way better than the sum of it's parts.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/23/18 11:29 a.m.
Suprf1y said:

That recipe was originally German but altered for those who don't have access to spaetzle.

Here's a beauty that sounds disgusting but is really, really good.

Same flat noodles cooked and drained. Add a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup. Mix in pot. Add cut up hot dogs, heat and serve. I like it with fresh ground pepper.

Sounds disgusting - there's not a berkeleying chance I would have eaten if I didn't trust my wife 100%, but it really is way better than the sum of it's parts.

Sounds very similar to something my mom used to make u, but she used beef instead of hotdogs. Not sure that I'd really like the hotdogs in there, I feel like bratwurst would be better.

beanco
beanco New Reader
4/23/18 3:45 p.m.

Don't forget fried bologna sandwicheslaugh

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
4/23/18 3:56 p.m.
beanco said:

Don't forget fried bologna sandwicheslaugh

On white bread with yellow mustard!  smiley

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/23/18 4:28 p.m.
pilotbraden said:
Suprf1y said:

A sicilian girl that I dated made something very similar but added an egg to the hot noodles as well .apparently it's a traditional Sicilian dish.

I like sardine sandwiches I make a sardine salad sandwich very similar to a tuna fish sandwich and I also add sardines to almost any sandwich.

. Ramen noodles with vegetables makes a great meal

It's basically carbonara.  

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
4/24/18 1:57 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

That is what Marisa called it, I had forgotten the name. 

The other dish that she made was a red sauce similar to marinara with a couple of cans of tuna in it. It is absolutely delicious and I remember her calling it, spelled phonetically, ah ge ah. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FDIKobBbMd50KZqRGMMqHMmfOiEOcFDrT8R7ShX8PzxdLIUBlOtxoyQtdTtOZJ8R