1 2 3 4
Wally
Wally MegaDork
11/30/19 6:33 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

These are the only two tips in this thread sure to pay off. 

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
11/30/19 8:07 p.m.

I would just put it all on Black.  You either double it  or lose it all in a single day.  If you double it, do it again with the $500 winning, and either turn the $500 into $1500 or have nothing and you can forget about it and move on, which is the most likely result.

I've lost a lot trading stocks, so you should do the opposite of my suggestions.

My tip is IDEXX because my ex-wife works for them (firm she worked for was bought out by them, they buy up all the competition, so they have a monopoly), they profit from vet bills, and pet ownership keep increasing.  It has doubled a couple times over the last five years.  And I didn't buy it, so that would be a opposite recommendation.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
12/2/19 11:50 a.m.

Ok, I've started. Five shares of Copart at $88.01. At last check, I had already lost a few cents, but lets not get all 'day tradery' about this. It's been going down a bit and the Dow was down 200. Why wait 'till tonight I said.

Active chart at Yahoo Finance

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
1/30/20 3:09 p.m.

CPRT was a good choice so far. It's staying ahead of the market and getting some attention. I got in at $88 and its over $102 right now. I should leave it alone. I Should leave it alone... The Quarterly Earnings report comes out on Feb 18th. I think that all the growth is justified, but should I sell while I'm ahead? Drop a couple shares and diversify? This is where I usually make a bad choice and lose money.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/30/20 4:10 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

What are your fees for buying and selling? That'll eat your profit quickly...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/30/20 4:26 p.m.

I'm curious what Brexit is going to do to the markets. I cash out a stock bonus next week, if it goes down more than a few %, I'll have to wait.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/30/20 4:54 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

Funny, this thread crossed my mind today.  I had suggested to go against L-Brands and just yesterday they finished Up 13%.  

However, this is probably classic "pump and dump" where they are announcing the "good news" of getting Les Wexner out but I'm sure what comes next is some bad news.  

Meanwhile...Copart is killing it!  I had considered putting $500 of my own money where my mouth is when you bought Copart but I just never got around to it.  Congrats.   If me, I would let the Copart ride.  Their trend has been Up for a long time and you are up enough to survive a little setback (which I really don't think will happen.)  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/30/20 5:01 p.m.
AAZCD said:

CPRT was a good choice so far. It's staying ahead of the market and getting some attention. I got in at $88 and its over $102 right now. I should leave it alone. I Should leave it alone... The Quarterly Earnings report comes out on Feb 18th. I think that all the growth is justified, but should I sell while I'm ahead? Drop a couple shares and diversify? This is where I usually make a bad choice and lose money.

The smart choice would be to take your 16% profit and sell now. No one ever lost money by selling at a profit. Lost the potential to earn more? Sure. But lose money? No. The complete answer is obviously much more difficult to figure out between taxes and speculation, but you won't lose money if you sell now. 

I'm in the same conundrum right now with a company I'm in right now, ABBV.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
1/30/20 6:30 p.m.

Any company that is providing components for 5G, or any companies that will benefit from 5G. Look into Verizon and AT&T as benefactors. I currently own both and bought early (very early). But they're both still good value buys. They will benefit spectacularly from 5G and they both pay a healthy dividend. And they're cheap.

nedc
nedc Reader
1/31/20 7:34 a.m.

Whoever suggested NIO- thank you. I made $10K in a couple of months and got out. It's bouncing around lower now.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
1/31/20 8:37 a.m.
nedc said:

Whoever suggested NIO- thank you. I made $10K in a couple of months and got out. It's bouncing around lower now.

Yup, NIO could have doubled my money if I'd played it right. A peak at about 120% from when I bought into Copart, but you have to be active with it to catch it at the right point. I tried that with MVIS the last time I messed with stocks. It stayed under $5 a share, but could go as low as $1.00 and jumped around with 'news releases'. The few times I got it in time, I did well, but it was hard to get the buy/sell at the right moment.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
2/21/20 1:12 p.m.

With the earnings report, the stock topped out at $104.88. I had almost sold some at around $102 and felt good that I held onto it. Then it opened the next day about $10 a share lower. Boom, $50 gone. ...but not really because it's Schrodinger's cat - the state of it's value is meaningless until it's realized.

I could have a temper tantrum and dump it all at the current gain over the $88 share price I started at. Nope. I think it has proven value over $100 and will get back on it's trend now that the smart people locked in their gain from the earnings report. To have sold at about $103 and buy back in now at $94 would have been cool though. I may have learned from this. ...or not.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/21/20 1:34 p.m.

I predict that in 2 weeks, Copart will be back over 100.  Stay with it.  Dump out when it beats 100 if you want.  Congrats.  

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
2/21/20 2:15 p.m.

All right, if you want go big or go home extreeeeeeeme investing, take a look at Bed, Bath, and Beyond (BBBY). They’ve been E36 M3’ing all over themselves for five years straight (consistent decline from ~$75 to ~$12 during that period). Obviously, they’re taking the Amazon induced brick and motor hit but they’ve also been suffering from poor leadership (CEO Steven Temares stepped down in May of 2019).

Although I have Amazon prime, I still go to BBB stores fairly frequently and I notice that they’re usually pretty busy.

Ask yourself, is BBB really worth 84% less than it was five years ago…what dramatic change justifies the devaluation…I don’t have an answer either.

Additionally, there’s constant talk of acquisition which, if it comes to fruition, will almost certainly cause an immediate pop in their value.

BBBY is currently trading at $12.34 (down 2.57% today) with the S&P 500 being at 3,334 (down 1.16% today).

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/21/20 2:30 p.m.
RX Reven' said:

All right, if you want go big or go home extreeeeeeeme investing, take a look at Bed, Bath, and Beyond (BBBY). They’ve been E36 M3’ing all over themselves for five years straight (consistent decline from ~$75 to ~$12 during that period). Obviously, they’re taking the Amazon induced brick and motor hit but they’ve also been suffering from poor leadership (CEO Steven Temares stepped down in May of 2019).

Although I have Amazon prime, I still go to BBB stores fairly frequently and I notice that they’re usually pretty busy.

Ask yourself, is BBB really worth 84% less than it was five years ago…what dramatic change justifies the devaluation…I don’t have an answer either.

Additionally, there’s constant talk of acquisition which, if it comes to fruition, will almost certainly cause an immediate pop in their value.

BBBY is currently trading at $12.34 (down 2.57% today) with the S&P 500 being at 3,334 (down 1.16% today).

Were they extremely overvalued at $75 though?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/21/20 2:41 p.m.

If I can pat myself on the back.... I got in ABBV at $66.43,  $72.29, $86.62, and $88.66.  At some point I sold SOME of those shares, but got back in when I realized it was just going up. 

Currently sitting at $94.93.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
2/21/20 3:37 p.m.

I just buy whatever pays decent enough dividends and hold.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
2/21/20 3:39 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

They went public in June of 1992 so the $75 wasn’t attributable to IPO euphoria and brick n’ motor has a hard time selling a wild growth story as capital outlay requirements generally prevent fast run up's so I imagine the $75 was reasonable at the time.

BTW, I bought Amazon at $47 and it closed today at $2,095.97 so that’s a 4,460% increase but then there’s my investment in Lucent; who…exactly.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
2/21/20 4:19 p.m.
poopshovel again said:
Wally said:

Use chicken stock instead of water when making fried rice. 

This also applies to grits.

Two tips have remained rock solid the entire time. 

jwagner
jwagner Reader
2/21/20 11:46 p.m.

Hindsight is 20/20.  On 11/29 TRIL was $.33.  Now it's $4.18.  That's what you should have bought...

johndej
johndej HalfDork
2/26/20 7:25 p.m.

So with everything dropping today...see anything good to move on while it's down?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/26/20 7:32 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

Who makes hand sanitizer?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/27/20 9:10 a.m.

I'd wait for the thing to hit bottom.  Remember the old adage:  Don't try to catch a falling knife.

If you feel compelled to move money into the market now, buy a little, then a little more in a month.  Repeat as long as you have money.  laugh

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/27/20 9:52 a.m.

The old adage of "Never invest in anything you don't understand" has been replaced with what is basically tossing a dart at a list of stocks and chanting for profits. There is absolutely no way that the average consumer can see deep enough into a stock-pick to make an educated decision.

Cowplop bingo players and retail investors  have a lot in common.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/27/20 10:09 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

A motivated and intelligent "Retail investor" has a great many tools at his disposal today.  As for me (with a B.S. in Finance, FWIW) I used to pay for the privilege of having a "knowledgeable" broker recommend stocks.  After a few years of disappointing returns and a few in-depth discussions with my broker, I came to the conclusion that I could do better.  And so I have.

Commission-free trading and a basket of blue-chips and any fool can do just fine.  Just don't move all your money in at the beginning of a pandemic. cheeky 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8NYqlmtKg7EN1MNsHiUGr3e0FGpBMLnGE7v82kPwNbgIHf5mQXXEFq4EQo6wCkOg