preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
10/8/22 10:01 a.m.

I don't know if there is a bird thread like the bug thread, so here is my pecker to your bug:

I have a family of Cardinals around too and I am hoping to make friends with a Crow one day. If you do they will bring their Murder to you because they are your friend.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
10/8/22 3:53 p.m.

There were three red tail hawks circling over our house shrieking at each other a bit ago.  Could have been up around 1,000 feet or so, I could hear them but it took a minute to find them in the air. 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/8/22 9:08 p.m.

Sitting in a tree in the back yard. I took the pic on my cell phone thru a set of binoculars.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
10/8/22 9:10 p.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

Word.

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/8/22 9:21 p.m.

Nice pecker! I've enjoyed accidental birding most of my life. Enjoy them when I see them, but don't seek them out as an activity.

There's an awesome little bit of woods just outside my current workplace and I see occasional flashes of white/black and hear them pecking/drumming on trees. My understanding is that woodpecker species ID is potentially tricky, so best to enjoy, and not obsess over exactly what it is.

There's also a pond across the way at my workplace, so we get ducks, geese, herons, and egrets. I don't have any photos, but in addition to the Downy (?) Woodpeckers, I've seen Stellars Jays, Flickers, Western Tanagers, Chickadees, Crows, Bushtits, House Finches, Towhees, Black Crowned Sparrows,  and a Sharp Shinned or Cooper's Hawk in the woods. I've seen Mallards, Wood Ducks, Buffleheads, Widgeons, Canada Geese, Great Blue Herons, Night Herons, and some sort of big white Egret in the pond. Nice change from my old job where it was all pigeons, crows, and House Sparrows, with rare seasonal Cedar Waxwing sightings!

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
10/8/22 9:24 p.m.

In a tree in front of my folks place, you see the oddest birds pearching just before and after storms. 

Gary
Gary UberDork
10/8/22 10:04 p.m.

Are penguins birds?

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
10/8/22 10:15 p.m.

Earlier this year I heard this chicken hawk try to snatch some sparrows that hang out in the front hedge.

He wasn't successful or I would've been able to get some real National Geographic shots.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
10/8/22 10:21 p.m.

Not what I expected... still cool. Around here we have Eurasian doves (invasive, bad) a few flavors of hawk including peregrin, and if you get up in elevation a bit there are vultures and some brown eagles. 

Thing was staring at me like wondering if I was edible. 
And crows. Lots. And these little speckled trash eaters that hang around parks and Walmart. 

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/8/22 10:25 p.m.

In reply to j_tso :

Sounds very cool; I love watching raptors hunt. Such a cool thing to witness, even if no photos. This year I saw a hawk snatch a squirrel and depart with it in its talons, and last year I saw one in hot pursuit of a smaller bird through the tight and twisty trees.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
10/8/22 10:31 p.m.

Can't remember if this was during the last year of school, or if I was visiting USF one day, but a hawk had found a nest of baby... somethings.  Squirrels, maybe?  Just sat there on a tree eating them.

https://imgur.com/a/eItZr

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/8/22 10:39 p.m.

Sand Hill Cranes, just chillin' by the drainage ditch at work. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
10/8/22 10:39 p.m.

Also, we have a buttload of them in the neighborhood.  My house seems to be right on the border of the range of 2-3 mated couples of hawks.  Its great for bird-watching.

I live in a hawk-filled neighborhood

One of my neighborhood's Red Shouldered Hawks in the rain

Cooper hawk? Chicken hawk? Some type of hawk. Me and the GF were at a park and it was calling LOUDLY. 

There are some sandhill cranes around my house too. There used to be a flock of 4 when I first moved in but people have been hitting them on the main road by my subdivision sad

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
10/8/22 11:41 p.m.

Saw this guy beside the trail when I was biking a few months ago:

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/9/22 12:09 a.m.
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) said:

Nice pecker! I've enjoyed accidental birding most of my life.

That would make you an amateur ornithologist. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
10/9/22 12:11 a.m.
stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) said:

Cooper hawk? Chicken hawk? Some type of hawk. Me and the GF were at a park and it was calling LOUDLY. 

Guy at the top of the tree looks like an Osprey.  Was he the one yelling, or the one below?
Ospreys and the hawks we have around here have different yells.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
10/9/22 7:25 a.m.

On the base where I work when I am out in San Diego there is a ball field that is not using one light due to Osprey:

I got to see a seagull chasing a young osprey and momma got pissed and smoked the gull out of the sky in a puff of feathers. Very impressive.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/9/22 7:58 a.m.

this Owl has been hanging around since Ian, and also since they tore down the lot behind us.   We had the windows open yesterday evening and it sounded like the owl was right outside our window when it hooted. Very cool. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
10/9/22 8:47 a.m.

See if this works. When cleaning up after Ian, the local breeding pair of Sandhills came to hang out. This pair has been here over 10 years. When we moved it, they had already been here a while. You'll see 1 had broken its bill at the nostril and it healed wonkey, thats the Mom, some call her "crooked bill".  They play like this regularly. They know me and my yard and know they are safe. I DO NOT feed them, i just accommodate them. 
He throws sticks and grass clumps with his feet and bill. 

CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
10/9/22 11:56 a.m.

I went out for a drive a few weeks ago and spotted this Greater Roadrunner about an hour from home. Apparently we're right on the fringes of their territory. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
10/9/22 3:11 p.m.

The "birdbrains" hanging out as usual. I was on my diesel tractor when i took these. They dont care, which is good. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PbKpfAP4DJC8nS5IuGC1LcAbnZRIOe3jokhyg6gWr6VooPW05iECzavPrU9UFUQ6