glueguy
glueguy Dork
9/2/18 3:45 p.m.

I figure you guys know everything about everything.  SWMBO owns her own business. She wants to start giving back to the community. Specifically, she would like to make her business charitable cause feeding needy kids. How do we do this the right way? How do you figure out who to work with?

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
9/2/18 3:52 p.m.

I came for the free MGs but if I were you I'd start with the local Boys and Girls club. 

Karacticus
Karacticus Dork
9/2/18 6:13 p.m.

Dunno if it’s as big a deal in Florida as it is in the Midwest, but we’re setting up a scholarship program through the local extension/4H program here in Iowa.  If you’ve got something local, they might be able to help. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/2/18 6:55 p.m.

Have a good understanding of how high the Charities operating expenses are. 

Said another way, if you give them $100 how much do they give to the "needy" and how much stays to "run the operation and pay people"? 

https://www.charitywatch.org/charitywatch-criteria-methodology

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=48

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
9/2/18 6:58 p.m.

Is this a functioning business donating to charity or a charitable organization? There is a differance... 

If the business IS a charitable organization you should follow the steps to become a 501(c)3 organization. That will allow you much more flexibility and the ability to accept donations. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/2/18 7:19 p.m.

I donate to the local Food Bank on a regular basis. It's not strictly for kids but it does work to feed needy in the local community. 

I tend to look for smaller, local, church based charities.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Dork
9/3/18 6:31 a.m.

In my neck of the woods, the food bank is the most effective place to put charitable donations for this purpose. This is because your donation to the food bank is used to arrange transportation of really large donations of food from large farms /food processing companies/etc. 

At a more local level, you could also inquire with your local school districts about paying off school lunch accounts with negative balances. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/3/18 8:56 a.m.

Talk to a CPA and a Lawyer and a financial advisor.  Then actually listen to them.  (Most people don’t thinking they know better and then blame them when it goes wrong). 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/3/18 9:12 a.m.

Battered Womens shelter, lots of needs there.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PlEsoPh40O5elZnmZGxUHA0wpgarGEUiX1b02cmsKEcaRqFvlMp93DARMjN3bepM