stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
4/22/14 1:01 p.m.

The wife and I are heading out to Glacier National Park in mid-June. We already have stops planned on the way out and the way back but that still leaves us around a week to spend in and around Glacier. The catch is, we're bring our dogs with us which means no hiking inside of the park.

Fortunently, the park itself is surrounded by gorgeous national forests where we're free to do whatever we want with the dogs. We may kennel them locally for a couple of days so we can hike in the park but I already have plenty of places to visit lined up if we decide to do that.

Does anyone in the hive have any recomendations of places to hike near but not in Glacier?

Any car camping recomendations in the area?

Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
4/22/14 1:19 p.m.

I can't help with the recommendations, but be sure to take lots of pictures and write up a trip report so the rest of us can enjoy the trip too.

Sincerely,

Jealous.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
4/22/14 1:34 p.m.

Www.glacierguides.com. I used to live out there, and know one of the owners of this place. Denny is a dog lover and knows this entire are inside and out, and they have lots of great access to the park. I would recommend any of their offerings, but even if you don't end up booking with them they are probably a great and friendly source of information.

toad9977
toad9977 Reader
4/22/14 1:43 p.m.

I will be paying attention to this as I am going to Jasper/Banff/Glacier at the end of August.

DustoffDave
DustoffDave HalfDork
4/22/14 4:26 p.m.

The Flathead Lake area near Kalispell and Whitefish is loaded with camping areas. Whitefish is just outside of Glacier NP. I'm near there frequently for business and I never get tired of that area. Not sure which direction you're coming from, but if you need a pit stop in Spokane, we're here to help.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
4/23/14 8:49 a.m.

Thanks for the suggestion so far, guys.

As far as where I'm coming from, we're driving out from Iowa with stops in the Bad Lands, Devil's Tower, and Yellowstone (we go there every year) on the way out. On the way back, we're hitting Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

Keep the ideas coming! I keep adding them to my list.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
heya5aCUU3F9gRFtBwJsLSPzM4pE8KtXjlxSN33oDzN45PUpv1vX5aotVnCPygDp