1 2
Erich
Erich UberDork
4/25/23 12:15 p.m.

Looks like the rumors are true - GM will be discontinuing Chevy Bolt and Bolt EUV production this year. With last year's price cuts the Bolt has become, with the Federal tax incentive, the only sub-$20,000 EV available to purchase new. 

I'm disappointed but not surprised. I think this is due to manufacturing capacity rather than sales - Chevy expects to build 70k Bolts this year and there's currently a waitlist. Makes sense that GM would rather sell Silverado EVs with high profit margins than the Bolt.

Hopefully the replacements next year are good - I have yet to see much substantive about the Equinox or Blazer EVs.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/25/23 12:22 p.m.

The Bolt is on a unique platform that's been around for 7 years. As soon as the Ultium infrastructure started ramping up, the clock started ticking on the current (har har) model. It was only a matter of time.

The LG battery problems probably damaged the Bolt nameplace too badly in public perception, so instead of making a Bolt II with the Ultium tech they'll make a ______ with the Ultium tech. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/25/23 1:42 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The LG battery problems probably damaged the Bolt nameplace too badly in public perception, so instead of making a Bolt II with the Ultium tech they'll make a ______ with the Ultium tech. 

The best part: they're still having issues with the new battery packs on the Bolts. We've had to replace one of the "new and improved" battery packs because it wouldn't charge properly on the bigger, more powerful chargers. It would kick the charger off and throw loss of isolation codes. We have a second Bolt that had similar issues that sales discovered while trying to charge it before delivery, but the guy only uses it on short trips around town and only charges it with the wall outlet plug. And I've heard of others doing the same thing.

Also, GM just recalled every single Hummer battery pack that they've built. All of the Hummers they've built so far have to get new batteries because they didn't seal the connector properly and they're getting water intrusion into the pack.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/25/23 1:47 p.m.

The cool thing about new tech is that it gives you new and exciting ways to make mistakes instead of the boring old ways to make mistakes!

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
4/25/23 1:56 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The Bolt is on a unique platform that's been around for 7 years. As soon as the Ultium infrastructure started ramping up, the clock started ticking on the current (har har) model. It was only a matter of time.

The LG battery problems probably damaged the Bolt nameplace too badly in public perception, so instead of making a Bolt II with the Ultium tech they'll make a ______ with the Ultium tech. 

GM should bring back the Vega nameplate.  

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/25/23 2:14 p.m.

I've always thought the Bolt looked a penalty box.  It was built to fit a segment that has fewer and fewer buyers.   I suspect that Chevy will sell way more Blazer and Equinox EVs than Bolts.

iansane
iansane Dork
4/25/23 2:19 p.m.
NickD said:

Also, GM just recalled every single Hummer battery pack that they've built. All of the Hummers they've built so far have to get new batteries because they didn't seal the connector properly and they're getting water intrusion into the pack.

Audi had the same recall on the etron a few years ago. It caused a stopsale, IIRC.

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
4/25/23 2:52 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The cool thing about new tech is that it gives you new and exciting ways to make mistakes instead of the boring old ways to make mistakes!

I can't wait to see what BMW can come up with!

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/25/23 3:28 p.m.

In reply to nderwater :

I know 4 families with Bolts, their feelings range from liking the things to loving them. People/manufacturers  seem to forget that there are people who like compact platforms. It makes me sad that they would do away with this model without a replacement in the wings.

 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/25/23 3:43 p.m.

I suspect the replacement will be a Geeley. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
4/25/23 3:47 p.m.
jgrewe said:
Keith Tanner said:

The cool thing about new tech is that it gives you new and exciting ways to make mistakes instead of the boring old ways to make mistakes!

I can't wait to see what BMW can come up with!

They are still in on ICE, so yea, let them keeping churning out flamethrowers. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
4/25/23 3:48 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I suspect the replacement will be a Geeley. 

Ooh Chinese quality control. I can't wait for them to outdo GM on terrible quality. 

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
4/25/23 3:59 p.m.
Erich said:

Chevy expects to build 70k Bolts this year and there's currently a waitlist.

But... but... I was told that the manufactures simply make what people want to buy.

LOL

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/25/23 4:10 p.m.
Driven5 said:
Erich said:

Chevy expects to build 70k Bolts this year and there's currently a waitlist.

But... but... I was told that the manufactures simply make what people want to buy.

LOL

Waitlist can be because there's lots of demand or very little supply. That 70k number with a waitlist doesn't mean there are more than 70k orders, it means they haven't been able to deliver as many cars as have been ordered.

And 70k units isn't really all that much -  it's a very large number compared to historical Bolt sales, which have only once peeked over 25k with 38k sold in 2022. But meanwhile, the Model Y sells a quarter million a year in the US alone. You can't blame GM for wanting some of that.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
4/25/23 4:19 p.m.

Of course after doing exhausting levels of research I had zeroed in on the Bolt as my new daily driver, and GM killed it. I was going to buy a used one with miles on it anyway so I can use the $4k tax break, but it still doesn't bode well for finding a cheap one now. Bugger.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/25/23 4:34 p.m.

Given the projected production numbers, GM may be planning on filling dealer lots with the things. You may have access to more cars than you think.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
4/25/23 5:10 p.m.

TFL bought a base Bolt. Tommy loves it. The Bolt outperformed many other EV's in their testing.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/25/23 5:49 p.m.
slefain said:

Of course after doing exhausting levels of research I had zeroed in on the Bolt as my new daily driver, and GM killed it. I was going to buy a used one with miles on it anyway so I can use the $4k tax break, but it still doesn't bode well for finding a cheap one now. Bugger.

What I was thinking too.  It was one of the few (only?) relatively inexpensive EVs with decent range.  If they want to get wider acceptance of EVs they need to be affordable to the masses.  Not everyone wants or can afford a more expensive SUV.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/25/23 6:22 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:
Keith Tanner said:

I suspect the replacement will be a Geeley. 

Ooh Chinese quality control. I can't wait for them to outdo GM on terrible quality. 

Wait until you find out where GM sources a lot of parts from!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
4/25/23 6:30 p.m.

Ok now make one with new tech that is about 6" shorter, with a Torsen.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/25/23 6:42 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
slefain said:

Of course after doing exhausting levels of research I had zeroed in on the Bolt as my new daily driver, and GM killed it. I was going to buy a used one with miles on it anyway so I can use the $4k tax break, but it still doesn't bode well for finding a cheap one now. Bugger.

What I was thinking too.  It was one of the few (only?) relatively inexpensive EVs with decent range.  If they want to get wider acceptance of EVs they need to be affordable to the masses.  Not everyone wants or can afford a more expensive SUV.

No sh-t. I'm sure that the profit margin is small to nonexistent, and they'd rather use those chips on bigger high-margin stuff, but what about the big picture? You know, the one where people grow with the brand? or in my case shrink with it. I've decided that driving a truck no longer makes sense as an empty nester living in a dense urban area. The Bolt is the perfect urban slingshot - and one with the range to get me up and into the mountains when I want as well.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/25/23 6:46 p.m.

Shorter, you say?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/25/23 6:51 p.m.

Actually, this one is right about 6" shorter. 40 kWh battery, 250 mile range, 80 hp/96 tq, top speed of about 75 mph, $16k for the top end model.

I'm not really kidding with these. They're Geely brands, and other Geely brands include Lotus, Volvo and Smart. GM is in bed with them...somehow.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/25/23 7:16 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Actually, this one is right about 6" shorter. 40 kWh battery, 250 mile range, 80 hp/96 tq, top speed of about 75 mph, $16k for the top end model.

I'm not really kidding with these. They're Geely brands, and other Geely brands include Lotus, Volvo and Smart. GM is in bed with them...somehow.

That is taller, not shorter smiley

 

I don't know about any Geely connection, but any time we get major components from a GM dealer, they say "Made in China" on them.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/25/23 7:29 p.m.

Oooo, you want lower, not shorter. 

Get ready for cars to be a little taller on average. A skateboard chassis is great for CoG but it does add a few inches to the thickness of the floor. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
htUUpeoZUHFIWnd8KMGCsSpDZQyGuJfFvisaAWClu8BK194BtSvTEBa3XpnxV5os