Somebeach Reader
12/9/19 8:55 a.m.

Got the kids a go kart. With a preditor 212cc. Got it running but clutch is bad I think. 

I weigh about 240 kids maybe another 50, the cart is fairly big. 

should I get a new centrifugal clutch like is on it now, if so any recommendations?

prices are all over the place from $17-$100+ 

or should I go torque converter? 

1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/9/19 9:19 a.m.

When I put the kids' kart together from parts, I opted for the clutch that Tractor Supply sold thinking I'd probably be replacing it in a year or two.  That was over 10 years ago, and my oldest has moved on to driving an E39 5-series BMW.  The clutch is still fine.

Personally, I would start with the centrifugal clutch for minimal investment.  If that proves unsatisfactory, then whip out the wallet and go the torque converter route.

I seem to recall that there were at least two drive gear sizes available.  Choose the smaller one if you are concerned with longevity over speed.

chaparral Dork
12/9/19 9:35 a.m.

I like Noram or Hilliard clutches - both seem durable.

If it isn't fast enough you'll want a bigger rear sprocket - or a bigger engine.

chrispy HalfDork
12/9/19 12:00 p.m.

For my racing karts I used Max Torque and Hilliard.

914Driver MegaDork
12/9/19 12:23 p.m.

Is it a centrifugal type clutch?  Belt slipping or too loose.  I maintain two EZ Go golf carts with air cooled Kawasaki engines, almost the same set up.  Try some Belt Dressing and isolate the problem child before forking out cash.

There's a website called Cartaholics, but I can't seem to open it now.  It's GRM for carts.

java230 UberDork
12/9/19 12:38 p.m.

Torque converter FTW.

newrider3 New Reader
12/9/19 2:33 p.m.

The chinese clone TAV2 torque converters are cheap enough now to be a no-brainer. $50 to $55 on ebay, so about the same as burning up two centrifugal clutches, which will be a somewhat regular occurrence on a big kart with an adult rider.

Toyman01 MegaDork
12/9/19 9:04 p.m.

Torque converter for sure. If you have space for it.

Somebeach Reader
12/10/19 4:42 p.m.

Good info thanks! I think I will go converter.

What do you mean by if you have the space? Do you mean distance from engine shaft to the sprocket on the axle? 



Toyman01 MegaDork
12/10/19 5:19 p.m.

In reply to Somebeach :

Yes. The torque converter is about 10-12" long. The driven pulley is mounted on a jack shaft with a sprocket that then drives the axle. 

You may be able to mount the torque converter facing forward and then drive back to the axle sprocket with the chain. It will take some fiddling to figure out what works best. 


Somebeach Reader
12/10/19 8:02 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Thanks. Picture helps too. 

Our Preferred Partners