1 2 3 4
DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
9/13/11 11:42 a.m.
mtn wrote: If anybody even knows what burgoo is, I'll be impressed.

Woo! I impressed someone today!

failboat
failboat HalfDork
9/13/11 11:49 a.m.

Lately we have been making our grilled cheese FANCY. We found this recipe online somewhere else.

Use sliced cheddar instead of american cheese, and add crumbled feta cheese, diced tomatos and diced red onion. Butter the bread as you would any other grilled cheese. Sometimes it helps to throw the whole assembly into the microwave briefily to help get the cheese just a little melted so it fully melts when you are finishing it up in the pan.

Quite tasty!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
9/13/11 11:58 a.m.

My favorite quickie lunch when I am working from home... fresh thick cut tuna steak (8-10oz), olive oil, salt, pepper. Bag of frozen veggies.

Pre-heat grill to 400.

Slather tuna in olive oil. doues with pepper/salt as you see fit.

Stick bag of frozen veggies in a microwave bowl, add some water. Hit 5min.

Cook tuna steak until it is white 1/2" from the bottom. Flip. Cook 3 min.

Drain veggies.

Hork it all down.

Total time... about 9 minutes.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
9/13/11 12:20 p.m.

Meat 'n Potatoes.

1lb cubed steak (I tend to use sirloin, but top round is easy enough and just as good) 1 can cream of mushroom soup 1 packet beefy onion soup mix.

Ready for the makin'?

Put it all in a pyrex or some sorta oven safe cooking device on 350* for about 30min. Stir once about halfway through. Put over mashed potatoes, egg noodles, rice, whatever. Eat. recipe is EASILY made larger. just extend cooking time about 10min or so for each addtl lb of meat (Takes about an hour with 4lbs... which is how I make it.)

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
9/13/11 12:46 p.m.
alex wrote: Braised Meat Is Really Easy:

I recently learned a slightly different take on this.

Get your beef roast. Go buy your favourite brand of oil based salad dressing (for instance, KRAFT Signature Sundried Tomato and Oregano, the tomato portion of the dressing is the biggest issue). Poke holes with a tooth pick into the roast, marinate roast for a minimum of 3 hours.

Once completed, cut slits into roast. Take garlic clove halves, stick into slits. Then, put the roast either into the stove, BBQ, or crockpot. Cook for a couple of hours depends on how well you want the meat done).

Some of the tenderest, tastiest roast I've ever had. S00per simple, takes no time. Obviously, you can add things like vegetables, beer, etc to the pot you are cooking the roast in to make it your own unique flavour. I'm doing one this Sunday so I have meals for a week

Josh
Josh Dork
9/13/11 2:04 p.m.

I make this one all the time, simple, ridiculously good, and seems like it takes a lot more effort than it actually does. Maiale in Agrodolce Sometimes I substitute 3 tbsp of Maple Syrup for the 2 tbsp of honey, I like it even better that way.

Pancakes are a staple for weekend breakfasts, and this is the best recipe I have ever used hands down. I whisk the eggs separately until they foam up a little (not stiff), and Kate's real buttermilk is key (luckily it's made in the the next town over from here, not sure if you'll be able to find it elsewhere). Robies' Pancakes

I'm always buying bananas with good intentions and then failing to eat them, so this one gets used a lot: Alton Brown's Banana Muffins I tried adding 2/3 cup of Trader Joes chocolate chips the last couple batches and OMG.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Reader
9/13/11 3:10 p.m.

I have one that I use ALL the time.

• Take some preseasoned Fajita Chicken or Fajita Beef from your local grocery store or Wally-World.

• Slice the meat into small chunks/stips/cubes. Throw it in the pot.

• Take 1 bell pepper, doesn't matter what color, and one onion. I use the Slap Chop thinggy to chop those into tiny little pieces. I throw all that in the pot with the meat.

• Then I take a spoon full of garlic or 1-2 cloves, whatever your taste.

• Turn on the stove and cook the meat until it's browned.

• You should have a fair amount of stock (juice) there. If not, add a little water. Add a little salt to taste and pout in about a cup or so of instant rice. Turn off the stove. The rice will cook and soak up the juice.

• Once the rice has cooked (usually 5 mins), it's ready to serve.

Monster Toad
Monster Toad Reader
9/13/11 3:52 p.m.

Chilaquiles
We use this salsa verde, and La Morenita Queso Fresco, both of which are available at the Walmart.

Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Thingies
Finish in the broiler for best results.

Carbonnade
We usually use Ommegang Abbey Ale, but have also made it with Yuengling Black and Tan, Saranac Black Forest and Great Divide Brewing Yeti Imperial Stout, which is almost a stew all on its own.

Cheese Bisquits
By all means do what she says and use LOTS of cheese.

Rosemary A1 Burgers
I <3 grilling.

White bean and ham soup
Not that I can call this a go-to recipes because mi Ooman is cooking it at this very moment for the first time, but with 2.5 pounds of smoked pork ankles, how could it not be completely awesome?

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
9/13/11 5:50 p.m.
Conquest351 wrote: - Take some preseasoned Fajita Chicken or Fajita Beef from your local grocery store or Wally-World.

Usually that meat is glued together leftovers

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
9/13/11 6:12 p.m.

I don't know what resurrected this thread Margie, but if your niece is interested in caring for the family, how about a garden?

Tonight for dinner I had some thick sliced toasted Italian bread. Slice some tomatoes, leaves of fresh basil, hose it with balsamic, sliced motzorella and you have a sandwich.

Add crunchy flovored chips, Viola!

Talk you niece into growing tomatoes, basil, etc. How can she lose? Teach the kiddies something along the way.

Dan

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
9/13/11 6:23 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
alex wrote: Braised Meat Is Really Easy:
I recently learned a slightly different take on this. Get your beef roast. Go buy your favourite brand of oil based salad dressing (for instance, KRAFT Signature Sundried Tomato and Oregano, the tomato portion of the dressing is the biggest issue). Poke holes with a tooth pick into the roast, marinate roast for a minimum of 3 hours.

Try it with chicken, and the new Kraft Masala dressing.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo SuperDork
9/13/11 6:39 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Tonight for dinner I had some thick sliced toasted Italian bread. Slice some tomatoes, leaves of fresh basil, hose it with balsamic, sliced motzorella and you have a sandwich.

Add roasted red peppers and pesto sauce spread on thick instead of balsamic. My favorite is buffalo mozzarella. Delicious.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo SuperDork
9/13/11 6:55 p.m.

One of our regular easy weeknight meals is huevos rancheros. I like to make my own spanish rice but you can certainly substitute your favorite mix.

Saute/sweat half a yellow onion in 2 TBS olive oil over medium until translucent (do not brown), then add 2 tsp butter, 1 can chicken broth, 1 small can tomato sauce and 1 cup uncooked rice (not instant). Bring back to a simmer over medium-high, then cover and reduce heat to low and cook about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

While that is simmering heat up some black beans, dice some fresh jalapeno, habanero if you like, more onion, roma tomato and of course you will want some grated cheese - we use sharp white cheddar. Stay out of the cheese dammit leave some for dinner.

When the rice is done cooking you can plate it and put it in a warm oven to hold. Heat up a small skillet over medium low and then toss in a butter pat. In a small bowl whisk one egg and pour it into the warm skillet. Swish it around so it gets really thin like a crepe. Once it will slide in the pan flip it, cook lightly on the other side and transfer to the top of a rice plate in the oven. Do this for all servings before topping with beans, veggies, cheese and sour cream if you desire.

Enjoy with hot sauce and beer.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden HalfDork
9/14/11 9:07 a.m.

Goose poppers. Cut breast of goose into small bite size chunks. Slice jalapeno or other hot pepper in half. Put cream cheese on pepper, place pepper on goose cheese side down. Wrap with a slice of bacon. Cook on aluminum foil over fire. Goose can be replaced with duck, grouse, pheasant, dove, quail, etc... The cream cheese can be replaced with other type of cheese.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/14/11 9:22 a.m.

Hot damn. What does goose taste like? (say 'goose')

pilotbraden
pilotbraden HalfDork
9/14/11 9:25 a.m.

Wild goose is a very lean, dark meat. Similar to beef. It is best served rare, otherwise it gets very firm (tough actually).

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
9/14/11 9:43 a.m.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
1/21/16 7:30 p.m.

Inspired by the mention of this thread the other day in minor rants I'm ressurecting it from the boneyard.

Tonight was stuffed bell peppers. Boil rice and brown chorizo sausage. Cut the tops off the peppers and pour 1/2 a can of tomato sauce in a dish, place peppers in dish. Mix rice, sausage, salt pepper, paprika, an egg, and a bit of shredded cheese together. Spoon mixture into peppers and sprinkle more shredded cheese over them. Pour other half of tomato sauce over them and bake the whole affair for 45 minutes at 400f. Enjoy.

One pound of sausage and one cup (when dry) rice was enough for 6 peppers. Family enjoyed and I looked like I knew what I was doing.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
5/2/16 7:00 p.m.

Any Mother 's day recipes cookout Floating Thinking maybe Lasagne and Italian sides or // Maybe going Burrito sized enchilladas

Autolex
Autolex Dork
5/2/16 9:43 p.m.
  • 2lb chicken breasts
  • 2 x cans of rotel
  • 1 x can of sweet corn
  • 1 x can of black beans
  • 1 x tablespoon of ancho chile or chipotle powder
  • 2 x tablespoon of chopped fresh cilantro

Place in crockpot on low for 4h

Take chicken out and shred, place back in crock pot with 1 cup sour cream, 1 more hour on low.

Serve with soft tortillas as a "tortilla soup" or "mexican gumbo", throw a few tablespoons of cotija cheese on top.

Tastes even better reheated.

secretariata
secretariata Dork
5/2/16 10:13 p.m.
Autolex wrote: Tastes even better reheated.

Everything tastes better when it sits overnight in the fridge and gets reheated, unless it sucked to begin with...

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
5/3/16 2:55 p.m.

Waiting for Thursdays sales paper to make final choice

revrico
revrico Reader
5/3/16 3:23 p.m.

My weeknight pulled pork

3 to 4 lb pork butt, loin roast, or similar

2 cups BBQ sauce

1 cup of beer

2 small onions, thin sliced

4 cloves of garlic, thin sliced

2 tbsp oil, i use rendered lard when cooking pork

1 tsp brown sugar, optional

Steps

Set your electric PC on sear or high and let it start to heat up, put your stove top on medium high heat and let it heat up Brown the pork butt on all sides, about 3 minutes a side. No oil, no seasoning, just straight on the heat. Once all sides are browned, remove, and add your oil. Saute your onions until translucent, about 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook until soft. I add brown sugar in this step to caramelize the onions a bit, and add a touch of sweetness. Put the pork directly on top of the onions, cover in sauce, then pour in the beer. Lock on your lid, and cook on high 75 minutes in electric, 60 in a stove top. Allow a natural release, then carefully remove the pork and let it rest. You can cover it in sauce again, but I’d hold off until you taste it. Shred and Serve

Shameless self plug, my website Revs Kitchen is growing weekly. There are a lot of quick pressure cooker recipes up already, and now that it's national BBQ month, it will be filling up with grill and smoker recipes.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
5/3/16 3:31 p.m.

Pasta Mess. Boil a whole box of pasta. Then Drain. Then add whatever you want to it. Usually in casa de dx, it is pistachios, numerous flavors of cheese, olive oil, chopped up pepperoni, various dips, whatever meat is leftover in the fridge, hot sauce, etc. Always enough left over for meals for days after..

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/4/16 7:25 a.m.

I'll bring dessert:

2 eggs 1/2 cup flour 1 1/4 cup Nutella

Put in an 8X8 pan and bake at 350'

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UYow3Lg8CXBUgrY634sRk0i28yalWjbyvS2uGv2WShtaBZcs4y2DJJICFxdbGNUc