1 2 3
KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
11/6/18 6:57 a.m.

Cast mine this morning.  When I arrived there was a line out the door, but it was for the “good” side of the district.  Since I live in the “hood” side there was no line at all.  Voted and out in 5 minutes!

Exercise your franchise people!

wawazat
wawazat Reader
11/6/18 7:02 a.m.

Agreed.  We're taking the kids to the polls to remind them of their rights as a citizen, describe the importance, and show them the process.  

RossD
RossD MegaDork
11/6/18 7:16 a.m.

My work gives me an hour to go vote. I'm taking off an hour early to go vote.  You don't get to complain about politicians if you don't vote!

Berking politicians.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/6/18 7:18 a.m.

I voted.  I really hate the people that tend to run for office now. 

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
11/6/18 7:32 a.m.

I successfully harangued a couple non-voting family members into voting this year which gave me some civic pride.  The website vote 411 site was actually really handy to look up individual races based on your address.  It gives a decent high level overview and Q&A response for each candidate and issue.  It then sends you the voting card you've selected to make it faster at the poll.  It has no party affiliation and I'm in no way affiliated with it, it just made life easier.  

Overall the poll in my neighborhood had decent traffic but was actually  hoping to see it slammed.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
11/6/18 7:37 a.m.

Boom done.

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
11/6/18 7:43 a.m.

Don't vote.  I want MY vote to count more!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
11/6/18 8:01 a.m.

Did the absentee voting thing this year, pretty convenient plus I still got time off to vote yes

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/6/18 8:48 a.m.

With Love from Canada...DONE.

More expats should vote.

Pete

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
11/6/18 8:53 a.m.

The wife and I always vote after work so we can take the kids with us.  Hopefully it rubs off on them and they continue when they are old enough.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
11/6/18 8:54 a.m.

I voted last week when it took me approximately 5 minutes.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
11/6/18 9:10 a.m.

I'll be voting later tonight on the way home. Keeping the radio and TV off today because other people irritate me with their justifications for why they voted the way that they did.

Maybe I'm just expecting more nuance then a sound bite can give.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/6/18 9:18 a.m.

Voted last week. Still had to wait a while. Tons of early voters here. Probably going to be record turnout for a mid term.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
11/6/18 9:30 a.m.

I voted early, as I saw some possible time conflicts coming up today.  And I took my wife and older son with me.  His schedule has him all over the country on short notice, so getting him to the polls when he was available was important.

We discussed the candidates and issues on the sample ballot beforehand.  

At work, we give people time off to vote.  

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
11/6/18 9:46 a.m.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott Reader
11/6/18 9:59 a.m.

Colorado has 100% mail-in voting, so we sat around the dining room table last week and took care of civic business.

It's actually a pretty cool system.  They send everyone's ballots out about a month early.  You can mail them in, drop them off at video-secured locked drop-boxes, or take them to election sites like police stations.  You can go to a polling place today and stand at a little booth, if that's how you roll.  You can even register and vote today.  It's a very simple and open process.

I've also found out it's one of the most secure and hack-proof systems in the country, and has become a bit of a model for the rest of the country.

Yay, Colorado!

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
11/6/18 10:09 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

We have mail-in voting in Oregon, too. Sounds very much like your description. Being a household of some procrastination, we'll be dropping our ballots from the car this evening. Drive-thru voting is awesome (and I'm okay with the fact we'll probably be in something of a line...)

I forget sometimes the barrier that polling hours are to a lot of people around the country. Being too busy to go to a polling place at a limited window of time shouldn't be a barrier to representation.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/6/18 10:14 a.m.

Done.  Lot of people, but it went fast.  And we went between the morning and lunch rush.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
11/6/18 10:16 a.m.

Voting (I took care of mine last week) will be much improved when the entire thing is administered over the internet. Quick login from phone or computer, make your choices, boom, counted.

Sure, would there be chance for fraud? Yes. But anyone who thinks today's system of "sort-of-electronic mixed with hundreds of thousands of boxes of paper and hanging chads and thousands of volunteers counting, not to mention possibly selectively preventing some folks from voting due to registration "issues" and other bs" is less open to fraud is kidding themselves.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/6/18 10:16 a.m.

I always vote absentee

Please don't just vote to vote.  Vote with some basis of knowledge (don't just guess or check off boxes).  You do NOT have to check all the boxes.

Something that always seems to be true:

Whomever / whatever you vote for, whatever you are hoping for, prepare to be disappointed.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/6/18 10:22 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) : it took me only 8 minutes from the time I drove in until I drove out to cast my vote.  

As a 2 tour combat vet in Vietnam I want everyone to vote!  Don’t forget to vote in the local politics as well.  Most of the laws that really affect you are local! 

Minnesota has register at the polls on the day of the election. So bring your ID or a neighbor to vouch for your residence and your vote will count.  

If you don’t vote you are not allowed to complain.  

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
11/6/18 10:26 a.m.
frenchyd said:

Most of the laws that really affect you are local! 

One of the things voted on in this cycle was my village's ban on parking pickup trucks in driveways. (yes, there is a current ban, yes, it was enacted in like 1950 to keep blue collar 'riffraff' out of the neighborhood, yes, it is a pile of bs, yes, it is amazing it has not been reversed yet, and yes, they will absolutely ticket you).

I agree that that single ordinance will have more effect on me than any other thing I voted for this cycle.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott Reader
11/6/18 10:28 a.m.
Ransom said:

In reply to TVR Scott :

We have mail-in voting in Oregon, too. Sounds very much like your description. Being a household of some procrastination, we'll be dropping our ballots from the car this evening. Drive-thru voting is awesome (and I'm okay with the fact we'll probably be in something of a line...)

I forget sometimes the barrier that polling hours are to a lot of people around the country. Being too busy to go to a polling place at a limited window of time shouldn't be a barrier to representation.

Both states also have legal weed.  Inspired.

Yes, I remember waiting for quite a long time in a few elections.  I've always been lucky to work a white-collar job where I could be a bit flexible with my schedule, and be a bit late if need be.  Early voting is the ticket, though.  I'm a big fan.

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
11/6/18 10:33 a.m.

If you don’t vote you are not allowed to complain

That's such bullE36 M3. A vote for none of the above is still a vote.

Forcing me to choose between worthless scumbags who aren't qualified to pick up after my dog is not giving me a choice, voice, or vote. 

It's like going to a physical and having your choice of doctor be Andre the Giant or an 800lb gorilla when it comes time for the prostate check.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
11/6/18 10:34 a.m.

Voting in-person this afternoon followed by an election party at my place afterwards. I’m a stats guy and I love-love-love seeing where the pollsters got it right and where they got it wrong. We may not know tonight if the House is going to flip due to all of the close races but either way, after hours trading is likely to be absolutely crazy; long, fun night.

1 2 3

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
zqTGtUcGKE9RtXWD8wbl02OtSsNITkyNQbYOzCAu8HMRevfHw8mm3mqmRfEFOYDE