1 2 3
Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
11/6/18 10:39 a.m.

Another Coloradan, voted last week by mail, easy-peasey.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
11/6/18 11:14 a.m.

Oregon has vote by mail as well.  Dropped our ballots off Friday, just got a notification yesterday that they were accepted.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/6/18 11:23 a.m.
RX Reven' said:

Voting in-person this afternoon followed by an election party at my place afterwards. I’m a stats guy and I love-love-love seeing where the pollsters got it right and where they got it wrong. We may not know tonight if the House is going to flip due to all of the close races but either way, after hours trading is likely to be absolutely crazy; long, fun night.

No insult intended but please never invite me to one of your parties wink

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
11/6/18 11:25 a.m.

Dropped our ballots off on Sunday. I can't get over how much more I like Oregon's voting system than California's. Here, you're automatically registered when you get your license, and then they just mail you a ballot. I dont know why every state doesn't operate this way. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/6/18 11:27 a.m.

I voted twice!  Ok not really but had to have the first ballot destroyed due to me screwing up. 

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
11/6/18 12:03 p.m.

Remember after the election the signs make great lightweight build material. Our Challenge team has a librarian on it. Political signs aren't allowed on library property but the DAs do it anyway.  More free material for us.

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
11/6/18 12:29 p.m.

Voting after work today!

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
11/6/18 12:53 p.m.
Stampie said:

Remember after the election the signs make great lightweight build material. Our Challenge team has a librarian on it. Political signs aren't allowed on library property but the DAs do it anyway.  More free material for us.

Do you have a glue that can stick to them? I have tons of material but need to find a good way to adhere them...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
11/6/18 12:57 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

No but I do know that (free) chopsticks are the perfect size to fit into the voids so you can join panels end-to-end.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/6/18 1:10 p.m.

Can we get a single person to say that this thread made a difference and that they went out and cast  ballot when they did not plan on it?

Common, SOMEONE validate the thread!

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
11/6/18 1:14 p.m.

Did my duty this morning.    Just the usual light flow, in and out quick.

My polling place always has snacks available,non political.   I did not partake.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
11/6/18 1:14 p.m.

I showed up to vote at 6:55 so I could do this before work. There was a huge line at the polling place this morning; it seemed longer than for the 2016 presidential election. Impressive turnout for an "off" year.

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
11/6/18 1:20 p.m.

I'll be voting after work, but.... 

I hate voting.  I hate deciding between two people that do not represent me.  I hate that two parties hold a tyrannical grip on our country and that if I vote for an alternative candidate, I am only helping one of the candidates that I do not support.  I hate that no matter how I voted today, I am still not represented in government.  I hate that one candidate(s) is/are trying to demonize my friends and the other candidate(s) is/are telling my friends that I am the demon.  I hate that I fall victim at times to the rhetoric of politicians.  I hate that the news is telling me that life itself depends on how and if I vote, and that every news channel is telling me it is for a different reason.  I hate that I have to guard what I speak about with some of my best friends and family members for the risk of creating a rift because the political system condemns alternate opinions that are contrary to the two official parties.

I love my family.  I love my friends.  That is all that matters to me and I hope that on this annoying day we can all remember why we are friends and why we love each other and that there is nothing that these so called leaders can do to change that.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
11/6/18 1:28 p.m.

PSA:

Just to clarify, ONLY PEOPLE THAT AGREE WITH ME get to vote today.

EVERYONE ELSE, YOU VOTE TOMORROW!  laugh

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
11/6/18 1:31 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I know you can melt them and "spot" weld them. We're planning on sandwiching them between aluminum sheets so we'll probably rivet everything together.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
11/6/18 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Found the article I was thinking of: Election Day Ductwork

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/6/18 2:11 p.m.

I voted at lunch.  Although my polling place was fairly empty, (easy in, easy out) the worker there said they had been slammed, and had a much higher turnout than expected.   I'm glad more folks are taking part--- regardless of how wrong they are in their choices! 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
11/6/18 2:33 p.m.
RealMiniNoMore said:
I hate voting.  I hate deciding between two people that do not represent me.  I hate that two parties hold a tyrannical grip on our country and that if I vote for an alternative candidate, I am only helping one of the candidates that I do not support.  I hate that no matter how I voted today, I am still not represented in government.  I hate that one candidate(s) is/are trying to demonize my friends and the other candidate(s) is/are telling my friends that I am the demon.  I hate that I fall victim at times to the rhetoric of politicians.  I hate that the news is telling me that life itself depends on how and if I vote, and that every news channel is telling me it is for a different reason.  I hate that I have to guard what I speak about with some of my best friends and family members for the risk of creating a rift because the political system condemns alternate opinions that are contrary to the two official parties.

I love my family.  I love my friends.  That is all that matters to me and I hope that on this annoying day we can all remember why we are friends and why we love each other and that there is nothing that these so called leaders can do to change that.

I'm quoting this because it resonates more with me than anything else I've seen this election cycle.

I worked in signs for years, and there's not much that will stick to coroplast. The best solution I found was cleaning the bonding surface and using strong double-sided tape. The stuff we used was for hemming banners. As long as you had 1" of flat-to-flat area to bond, it was damn tough. Doesn't work in every situation though.

And yeah, I voted this morning. Got there 25 min before the polls opened at 7 and we were 6th or so in line. By 7 there were over 100 people, easy.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
11/6/18 2:49 p.m.

Joys of living in small community... park right at the front door, walked in, show the ID, received ballot, filled out, took to reader, got my voting sticker and was back in my car in less than 3 minutes. Races up for grabs were house seat, two Senate position since we had special election for a midterm retired senator, 8 local judge positions 7 of which were uncontested. Done

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
11/6/18 2:50 p.m.
TVR Scott said:
Ransom said:

In reply to TVR Scott :

We have mail-in voting in Oregon, too. Sounds very much like your description. Being a household of some procrastination, we'll be dropping our ballots from the car this evening. Drive-thru voting is awesome (and I'm okay with the fact we'll probably be in something of a line...)

I forget sometimes the barrier that polling hours are to a lot of people around the country. Being too busy to go to a polling place at a limited window of time shouldn't be a barrier to representation.

Both states also have legal weed.  Inspired.

Yes, I remember waiting for quite a long time in a few elections.  I've always been lucky to work a white-collar job where I could be a bit flexible with my schedule, and be a bit late if need be.  Early voting is the ticket, though.  I'm a big fan.

Interestingly enough, Washington State also fits into those two categories.  Legal pot and mail in ballots.  Any other states that fit into that venn diagram?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
11/6/18 3:00 p.m.

I hit the polls around 12:30 EST.   was #348.     Wife went about an hour later was 515.   

The presidential election, I was more towards evening and was in low 200s

Pretty good considering a good section of our district is a retirement village (down the road from me)

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
11/6/18 3:00 p.m.
RealMiniNoMore said:

I've discovered since about 2015 I've become apathetic towards politics. The idiocy finally tripped a switch causing politics to fall into the same category as sports and celebrities for me. Yea they exist, but I don't understand why people are obsessed with them. My life is stressful enough without getting worked up about rhetoric, nose jobs, or rah rah go home team. I still read WaPo, NYT, and other outlets, listen to NPR on the way home from work but I refuse to engage the 24/7 news networks.

For candidates: Tell me what your platform is, I'll assume you're lying but judge where you fall the spectrum of stuff I give a E36 M3 about. If you're policy is close enough to where I think the country should be headed, I'll vote for you. If you turns you were lying, like I assumed from the start you were, I'll go out of my way to not vote for you next time.

Do something like talk about stomping on the current governors face with golf spikes. I'll assume you're a rich man-child and won't vote for you because you obviously don't have the temperament to be governor. I'm pretty simple like that.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
11/6/18 3:04 p.m.
RealMiniNoMore said:

That's one thing I like about the runoff election law in Georgia. A candidate here has to beat all other candidates put together in order to win the election. If one candidate is unable to pull in over 50% of the vote, the two top-scoring candidates get stuck with a runoff election. This makes a third party vote a bit of a more effective protest; even if you don't get a third party candidate elected, you at least give the major party candidates a major nuisance, and you don't have to worry about spoiling the election by giving the candidate you really didn't want the lead.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/6/18 3:25 p.m.

Huge thanks to whom ever informed me about the League of Women Voters Web site.  Their Web site tailored the choices to my state, district, etc... They had all the applicable candidates and their positions. This might be the most informed I've ever been.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UltraDork
11/6/18 3:25 p.m.

The Dancer and I walked over to our polling place (which is literally a block away) before work this morning so we could vote. Normally at our polling place which is a relatively small and not densely populated district we can just walk in and have about a 5 minute wait max. This time we were in line for an hour before we got up to the machines to vote. Talking to one of the poll workers (most of them live nearby, and this one recognized our address as being 'the one with the DeLorean') she didn't think that the wait was because of higher turnout but because the ballot was a lot longer and more complicated than usual with about half the races being non-partisan such that a straight-party vote wouldn't hit a large number of the races (including the race for Mayor).

Really interested in seeing how the big, national-attention race ends up- but am almost more interested in FINALLY being done with 3/4 of all commercials on TV and radio being for said race. And the Dancer is looking forward to no longer getting calls/texts every other day reminding her to vote/asking her if she's going to (I'm not registered with any party affiliation so ironically get far less mail/calls/texts/people coming to the door).

1 2 3

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
UFrYBaqQiWlnDpPNCGVCKAGxHhkI7uWDOGUQRVnacXbrDS9PPdfJiwh0BKFZuOnC