3 4 5
2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
11/4/14 10:28 p.m.

That's a really nice looking garden. What do you do for irrigation?

PubBurgers
PubBurgers SuperDork
11/5/14 9:32 a.m.

Nothing for irrigation, I just hope it rains enough. I have daydreamed about running some sort of piping underground that I could attach to the hose.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
11/5/14 9:40 a.m.

I wish I was offgrid, but, for irrigation in my modest gardens, I plumbed PVC before the spigot to a few runs alongside the garden's edge, and drilled tiny holes such that the water would shoot out in a stream and water the whole garden. At the junction with the main line I put a timer, and it runs for something like 90 minutes every two days in the summer. The total investment was like $50.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
11/5/14 9:42 a.m.

So... take this old picture of my garden setup, remove the hose, add PVC piping at that level across the deck and down the stairs.

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
11/5/14 11:56 a.m.

Yeah, we definitely don't get enough rain for that. My house came with water rights from the local irrigation water co-op. It was not being used so I bashed a hole in the curb to access the irrigation ditch that runs down the street. I then dug a ditch to my 20x20ft garden (also had to dig under the sidewalk, what a PITA) and buried a 3" PVC pipe which then tees and runs along the top of my furrows with a hole drilled in the pipe at each furrow.

I flood it twice a week for 30 min and it's set! If only I could figure out how to use the irrigation water for my lawn, but it's raised above the level of the ditch so I would have to pump it up somehow.

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bCPQdc3BeDIumbukMMCWJeVFMIDRM5b8jL4j7Zjr63lWaUxY0b93xpwo2YJL30fH