mmosbey
mmosbey Reader
10/3/11 8:39 p.m.

Mercedes diesel-powered Discovery with a stick.

I'm not sure what to think. I think I like it, but I think I'm a little afraid too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?item=280748345095

EvanB
EvanB SuperDork
10/3/11 8:51 p.m.

Fantastic idea. I would love to have that.

Sonic
Sonic Dork
10/3/11 9:12 p.m.

I can't even imagine how slow that is. That motor is a dog in a 300d, let alone with a much bigger, heavier vehicle around it. My DiscoII is pretty slow with the V8. I suppose it would be good for off roading where gearing overcomes the power problem, but forget hauling or towing anything

EvanB
EvanB SuperDork
10/3/11 9:19 p.m.

How much power does the V8 make?

alex
alex SuperDork
10/3/11 9:47 p.m.

How hard is it to add boost?

mmosbey
mmosbey Reader
10/3/11 9:55 p.m.
Sonic wrote: I can't even imagine how slow that is. That motor is a dog in a 300d, let alone with a much bigger, heavier vehicle around it. My DiscoII is pretty slow with the V8. I suppose it would be good for off roading where gearing overcomes the power problem, but forget hauling or towing anything

It will easily run from a Unimog 404...

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
10/3/11 9:58 p.m.
Sonic wrote: I can't even imagine how slow that is. That motor is a dog in a 300d, let alone with a much bigger, heavier vehicle around it. My DiscoII is pretty slow with the V8. I suppose it would be good for off roading where gearing overcomes the power problem, but forget hauling or towing anything

My FJ62 doesn't have THAT much more power than that Disco would have, and it's driveable.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit SuperDork
10/4/11 9:50 a.m.

That is very cool, and only about 2 hours from me.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
10/4/11 10:01 a.m.

My Land Rover Series IIa makes 33 hp at the rear wheels. Sure, it's not fast. But it's not meant to be a highway screamer. It does just fine off-road, that's what gears are for.

But Discos aren't as single-minded as the Defenders and Series trucks. Still, I suspect that's a pretty good setup as long as you leave the mall once in a while.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
10/4/11 10:43 a.m.
alex wrote: How hard is it to add boost?

With those OM617s you can 180 easy but then you need a new injection pump and those are $$$$$$.

ransom
ransom HalfDork
10/4/11 10:51 a.m.
mmosbey wrote: It will easily run from a Unimog 404...

Yeah, but how much more badly do you want the Unimog? I know how much more badly I want the Unimog... Though I really want a 416, despite the complete absence of places to park/drive it. When was any of this supposed to make sense?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/4/11 11:03 a.m.
EvanB wrote: How much power does the V8 make?

Stock DiscoII is roughly 180hp and 250 ft. lbs.

5.3 Vortec/LSx makes about 300/300 and a lot of that torque is available from around 1500rpm.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
10/4/11 11:04 a.m.

I drive a car with that engine, and other than steep grades on the freeway I haven't noticed it being slow, it easily has enough power to accelerate at a reasonable rate and drive at the speed limit anywhere I have needed to drive.

Sonic
Sonic Dork
10/4/11 9:20 p.m.

Travis, your car weighs less, isn't full time 4WD, and doesn't have the aerodynamics of a barn.

My family has had cars with that motor in it since 1979 to the present, with a gap of about 5 years in there, so I have had plenty of experience with them. When in the W123 chassis they will accelerate at a normal speed and can roll out a bit on the highway, most of my time driving them had my foot at or near the floor. In a bigger/heavier/4WD/brick Disco, I think it would be frustrating.

That conversion does look clean, though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UWyd4BwKp7VG9LPa4jkamTWD3heisWlXtgU55RkfNscOdsLIChJ0fUwX4NipZAVI