chada75
chada75 Reader
5/2/20 8:48 p.m.

After reading the Model Car Contest and me being very particular with excating details with bodywork on scale models, What sites are best for older Model kits? I want to start building again after Two Decades. Looking to start with one of my favorites as a kid: The Tim Richmond Folgers Monogram Chevy. What say you?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/2/20 8:54 p.m.

Paging Javelin.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/2/20 9:01 p.m.

After eBay I check SMH for all things NASCAR. If they don't have the Tim Richmond kit they likely have a Monte kit and nice aftermarket decals. 

http://stores.smhracing.com/classic-discontinued-kits/

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/2/20 9:37 p.m.

Shopgoodwill.com

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/2/20 10:14 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Paging Javelin.

I saw an AMC emblem in the sky!

For new kits, Auto World and Tower Hobbies are both great online resources. eBay is where I get the majority of my older stuff. If you can find a local model show and swap meet you can get plugged in to the locals who but and sell this stuff everywhere. I'd have to pull up my contacts on where else I get the old stuff. Buy an issue of Scale Auto Enthusiast as well! Think GRM of model cars.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/3/20 7:44 a.m.

Car swap meets can be a good source for vintage kits.  The ones I see are usually already built and need restoration, but that can be part of the fun.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/3/20 12:57 p.m.

In reply to chada75 :

I have a Folger's Tim kit I will sell cheap. It has some slight damage where one of the tires had rested on the rear bodywork while still fully packaged. When I saw that about 5 years ago I opened the bag and moved the tires off of the polystyrene. Vinyl solvents attack styrenesad $20. including shipping. PM me through the board with shipping info if interested. You might find a sealed one cheaper, but the problem with this one happened while it ws sealed! 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
5/4/20 12:35 a.m.

Mike's Decals is another good place to find old and rare stuff. Looks like he's got 1 left, at a good price.

https://www.mikesdecals.com/folgers-tim-richmond-monogram-kit-sealed-p-2117.html

I also bought some kits at a flea market once.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
5/4/20 8:05 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Just ordered 3 kits from Mike, oh boy.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/4/20 8:28 a.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

His power slide decals are phenomenal too.  I have a few 80s stock cars waiting to get done.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/4/20 9:37 a.m.

Ohhh, I don't need to read this.  I can't hear you, I don't need to get back into modeling, no no no no...

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/4/20 9:43 a.m.
slowbird said:

Mike's Decals is another good place to find old and rare stuff. Looks like he's got 1 left, at a good price.

https://www.mikesdecals.com/folgers-tim-richmond-monogram-kit-sealed-p-2117.html

Thanks for giving me yet another source of models I don't need...

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/4/20 9:55 a.m.
slowbird said:

Thanks for that link, I just bought a 1961 Pontiac Catalina NASCAR with Fireball Roberts decals.  smiley

chada75
chada75 Reader
5/4/20 2:24 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I tried Mike's but for some reason, They can't shipped to my address. They got some great stuff though.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/4/20 3:44 p.m.

In reply to chada75 :

Got a buddy you trust? Ship it there instead. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
5/4/20 3:47 p.m.

In reply to chada75 :

Sometimes the website is funny, try emailing him and he may be able to work it out . 

chada75
chada75 Reader
5/4/20 8:00 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Check your PM.

chada75
chada75 Reader
5/14/20 2:45 a.m.

Update. Finally made it to the local slot car track. They run a Hardbody class and have old kits available. Didn't have the Tim Richmond Folgers car but did have a #75. Neil Bonnett Grand Prix that's on my list. The owner also gave me a loose box of the City Chevrolet Lumina for parts. $19 including the Tamiya Cement. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/14/20 9:49 p.m.

In reply to chada75 :

I did not get a PM from you. racerwag at the G mail dot com. Still have the Tim kit.

chada75
chada75 Reader
5/16/20 7:47 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to chada75 :

I did not get a PM from you. racerwag at the G mail dot com. Still have the Tim kit.

Email sent.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
5/24/20 1:18 p.m.

I finally found the name of another site that I was thinking of but couldn't remember. Spotlight Hobbies. I haven't bought from them yet (that I can remember. maybe I did once) but they have a ton of stuff.

https://www.spotlighthobbies.com/index.html

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RWXEZ9dgjjhbB3cmK33ObRA53RwCgrAytF1NqHEhCo6QhZkhf7q14FYmOkSleXL2