1 2
APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
1/18/22 5:34 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/18/22 5:40 p.m.

Yeah. Setup google family. Then create email addresses.  Worked for my kids. 

but man this seems a weird problem to have. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/18/22 9:14 p.m.
APEowner said:

Add supervision to an email account

This looks like the answer to your woes!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/19/22 6:17 a.m.
dculberson said:
APEowner said:

Add supervision to an email account

This looks like the answer to your woes!

If only it were that easy. You have to sign in to the child account to do that. It locked us out. 

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
1/19/22 12:38 p.m.
tuna55 said:

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

No, he's not over thirteen. They are asking for a. ID which both matches his birthday and proves that he is over 13. It's not possible.

My understanding is that the only way you could have previously created an account specifically for him was to violate their terms of service and enter a falsified birth date. The photo/DOB ID is obviously intended for people who genuinely oops'd and mistyped typed their birthday, but are legitimately over 13. The credit card thing is seems to basically be a back-door option (olive branch) for parents to get their kids' technically-illegitimate accounts back up, without Google admitting to (or opening up the legal quagmire of) allowing under 13's to have unprotected accounts and access. By the transaction being recorded on the credit card statement, it helps ensure that the parents at least have knowledge of the unrestricted account being reopened... Which I actually consider a reasonably equitable resolution for both parties.

The 'you can download all your stuff... Just joking' thing is complete BS though.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/20/22 1:54 p.m.

Thanks. I was ready with the CC this morning. To my surprise, I got in. I had used my license.

Funny enough, Google was kind enough to email -him- that they had locked his account with instructions on how to change his birthdate. 

When I had requested a backup copy be made of everything, they emailed -him- to tell him that it had failed.

I have now added him to my family Google Thing TM and hopefully that works for a while.

He'll be 13 in eleven months

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
7/26/22 4:32 p.m.

Ah....late to the thread but the Google family stuff with supervised child accounts has been "updated" a lot over recent years. Just sounds like you guys got stuck in an alternate dimension for a bit and the only way to legally fix it was what you just did. 

Good information to read about as I think we have to convert one of my Kid's accounts as it has my or Mom's birthdate. Based on your thread we will wait until she is 18 or something. laughcheeky

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BdvyO4FtapLrSvE4UyW0FTMdoOdaQJL9kafBigz9RMeMK36WFFMhZegSUjQ5RmsT