Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
4/14/19 7:29 p.m.

Any clock-y repair-ish type people on the forum?

I have a lovely 1937 Sessions mantle clock that I would love to get tuned up.  Last time I wound it, I kept it conservative.  As I could tell it was nearing its end of travel, I stopped.  If I get the pendulum swinging, it will stay running anywhere from 2 minutes to maybe overnight.  I'm told it's probably just dirty and needs some lube, but in my car-based repair world, that means brake cleaner and PB Blaster.  Probably not the best on an antique clock.

Now the bugger is I can't find the key for it.  I thought I set it in the back last time but it is nowhere to be found.

Is this something I can do with a couple youtube videos?

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
4/15/19 10:29 a.m.

A clock like that would actually be a good thing to cut your clock repair teeth on - the parts aren't terribly small, and it's pretty obvious how they work together if you're mechanically inclined.

That said, before you tear it down, start with the basics: a mechanical clock can be VERY finicky about setup. It *should* run best when level on both axes, but sometimes if the movement isn't in the case right, you might find it runs better when off a little one direction or the other. All that said, if it's an old clock, it most certainly needs a good cleaning. You can buy all the good clock oils and cleaner, or you can just get after it with brake cleaner and some gun oil. It's a shameful way to fix a clock, but it also works. Be sparing with your oil. Inspect for worn bushes and arbors.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
4/15/19 12:40 p.m.

I do clocks, though mainly weight clocks from around 1850-1900.  If the works are brass, any solvent will clean it  and won't hurt anything.  My great grandfather always boiled the movements in vinegar water.  What kills a spring clock is leaving it wound and not running.  In addition to weakened springs, caused by the previous comment, springs that are gummed up will cause the condition you describe.  Get it running then pay attention to the tick-tock.  The ticks and tocks should be consistent and evenly spaced.  If they aren't, look at the verge, which is the rocker arm looking thing and the escapement wheel, which is the gear with sharp angled teeth.  These pieces can be found by following the pendulum up to the movement.  Generally the verge has a brass arm that is looped around the pendulum suspension rod.  You can make very slight adjustments to the verge to even out the escapement.  That said, your clock is about 50 years newer than what I collect, so there may be other things at play.  If you post a picture of the works, there might be something obvious we can spot.

If the clock is running backward (i.e. going tock-tick rather than tick-tock), the clock is likely made for southern hemisphere markets and cannot be made to run properly in the US without some expensive conversion parts.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/15/19 12:49 p.m.
Apis Mellifera said:

If the clock is running backward (i.e. going tock-tick rather than tick-tock), the clock is likely made for southern hemisphere markets and cannot be made to run properly in the US without some expensive conversion parts.

Couldn't he theoretically just relocate to the Southern Hemisphere and everything would be peachy? laugh

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
4/15/19 2:09 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

The easiest fix is to just mount the clock upside down. This is GRM, after all.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
4/15/19 2:58 p.m.

My ex used to repair clocks.  I forwarded this to her early this morning.  I haven't heard back.  Go figure.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/15/19 3:21 p.m.

I usually run mine through a ultrasonic cleaner with a vinegar solution and then dry them in the oven. If there aren't any plastic parts, brake cleaner will do the job for a quick blasting the gunk off but it's almost impossible to get it all off without a dunking. There is a good chance the pivots are worn out though. The plates get egged out over time. If that's the case, no amount of cleaning will make it run right. It will need to be rebuilt. That can be done but it is an amazing amount of work.

The last clock I did, I just replace the movement with a new one. Parts were around $150. That was better than 10 hours of reaming holes, setting bushing, reaming bushings, polishing pivot pins, reassembling, lubing... 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/15/19 3:26 p.m.

To add, keys are readily available. They come in a bunch of sizes. I bought a couple of multi keys the last time I ordered parts. With 40+ clocks, it's a bit of a pain to remember what keys went to what clocks. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
4/15/19 3:56 p.m.
Apis Mellifera said:

I come from a long line of bullE36 M3ters and this sounds like something I would tell my nephew to mess with his head.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
4/15/19 5:15 p.m.

I have watched lots of youtubes at this point.  Looks like I can tackle it.  One guy even made up an "ultrasonic" bath  (well, a sonic bath) with a metal plate glued to a tupperware and he clamped an engraving pen to it.  I thought it was neat, but 60Hz is hardly ultrasonic.  He also used a syringe and a turkey baster to flush the solution through the nooks and crannys.

I'm thinking some kind of solvent/soap bath, an old toothbrush, and a few toothpicks might do the trick.... if the arbors aren't wallowed out.

I'm certain it is a northern hemisphere clock.  I fell asleep to it for 20 years when I visited the grandparents in Australia.  (see what I did there?)

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
4/15/19 5:17 p.m.

Oh... what about a soak in a gallon of Chem-Dip parts cleaner?  Seems to work for brass parts in carburetors.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/15/19 7:20 p.m.

Anything that will clean brass without eating brass. A little heat will help as well. 

Here is a home brew solution for clock cleaning. 

If you do not want to purchase a clock-cleaning solution, Michael P. Murray and Mike's Clock Clinic has developed a solution you can make at home. Locate a plastic container that can hold at least a gallon of clock-cleaning solution and has a secure lid. Remove the lid and pour a half of a gallon of purified water into the container. Mix 4 ounces of commercial acetone and 4 ounces of oleic acid with the water until the chemicals are thoroughly combined. Acetone acts as an emulsifier and helps ensure the ingredients combine. Incorporate 4 ounces of liquid soap--either dish or clothing detergent--to the solution and blend. Add 8 ounces of ammonia with a 27 percent concentration level and mix again until all ingredients have been completely integrated. Combine equal parts of solution and water when you clean your clock. Always wear rubber gloves when working with the solution. Prepare the solution and clean your clock in a well-ventilated area to limit your intake of toxic fumes produced by the chemicals in the solution.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
4/15/19 7:25 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Thank you!  Looks like a good recipe for more than just clocks.  The Oleic acid and ammonia looks like it might be a good silver cleaner too.  Which would be important if I owned any silver.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
4/15/19 7:29 p.m.

Should I do a clock oil, or is there something close that works?  I have RemOil (gun oil), 3-in-1, and all sorts of automotive lubes.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
4/15/19 7:47 p.m.

I would think a gun oil would be fine. It just needs to be a decent oil that doesn't turn to goo after a year or two. 

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
4/15/19 8:56 p.m.

I use RemOil, it has what guns crave... and clocks too. Any light petroleum based oil will work. If you use something other than a volatile solvent to clean it, as in something containing water, make sure to bake it afterwards as mentioned or get the solution hot enough so that it evaporates. The steel parts obviously don’t like water, but it really can screw up the spring steel in the drive and chime springs. 

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
4/16/19 1:55 p.m.

Gun oil makes clock purists rage, and also happens to work just fine. Be sparing with it - for the love of god, don't hose it down with lube. Too much oil kills more clocks than it saves.

I've serviced  many clocks with gun oil. Don't tell my uncle.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
4/16/19 2:11 p.m.
stroker said:

My ex used to repair clocks.  I forwarded this to her early this morning.  I haven't heard back.  Go figure.

your ex was a clock master!  she could work clocks like nobody's business.  her clock skills were so good, she would get bored with just one clock, and really needed multiple clocks to keep her entertained.

sorry man, i couldn't help myself.  i really hope she didn't become your ex because of her clockworking.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
4/16/19 2:35 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
stroker said:

your ex was a clock master!  she could work clocks like nobody's business.  her clock skills were so good, she would get bored with just one clock, and really needed multiple clocks to keep her entertained.

sorry man, i couldn't help myself.  i really hope she didn't become your ex because of her clockworking.

Bravo.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
snX6Wf5HwOzt55An9WCxqRp8haoHwDai3VIGevs1SSLMZCH7O7AIBRPGmQRg05Vr