David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/22/19 9:57 p.m.

First, no, it wasn't like this:

But last week I spent two full days working with journalism students (and faculty) at the University of Georgia. I went through the program myself and was invited back under their professional in residence program. It was fun, it was rewarding, it was tiring, I learned a lot--and hopefully the students did, too. I spoke before five classes--sophomores to seniors--and we discussed all sorts of aspects of news gathering, from working with editors to building relationships with sources. Plus I handed out magazines and stickers because, let's be honest, who doesn't like stickers?

Super-bonus: UGA now has a motorsports program, and in addition to a F/SAE car they're building a ChampCar Mustang. I would have killed for that opportunity. 

TL;DR: If you have the chance to go to college (yes, total Dave Brubeck reference there), do it. I've already told my UGA friends that I'm ready to do it again. 

David S. Wallens
10/22/19 10:06 p.m.

Okay, some photos.

The night before classes, we went to a photo exhibit opening and, by luck, ran into the professor who made the biggest impact. Thank you, Dr. English.

The photo lab. Back in my day, this room was full of enlargers and smelled like photo chemicals. 

Yup, the right place. 

David S. Wallens
10/22/19 10:11 p.m.

Adding some school spirit to the team's Mustang.

The night before, I learned that I'd be before a lecture hall. Once the conversation got going, the room shrank. 

My host: Mark E. Johnson, photojournalism senior lecturer, Miata owner and SCCA Atlanta Region board member. 

And that night, Pylon Reenactment Society.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/23/19 8:33 a.m.

David, man, I'm going to start calling you Starburns.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/23/19 9:19 a.m.

That's pretty cool. The Journalism school at Ok St, has put a call out for old alums to come in and speak with the students...........but I never actually used my Journalism degree for, well, journalism.

Claim Rep for State Farm, now a Tech Writer for almost 12 years. 

captdownshift
captdownshift UltimaDork
10/23/19 5:48 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Is that Donald Glover? 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
10/23/19 6:29 p.m.
Duke said:

David, man, I'm going to start calling you Starburns.

Why can I upvote a comment only once

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/23/19 7:19 p.m.
captdownshift said:

In reply to Duke :

Is that Donald Glover? 

Yes, and Danny Pudi. It's from Community, which I strongly recommend. 

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Dork
10/20/20 8:59 a.m.

I wish those Motorsport teams were there when I went through. My motorsports experience was a freind on my dorm floor with a 66 Chevy truck with a farm nearby to work on it. Better than nothing but not very technical.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/20/20 9:59 a.m.

I did Baja and my team school had other SAE programs..  Best experience I've ever had in education.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
10/21/20 11:11 a.m.

If you're an experienced engineer and race or autocross regularly, SAE is always recruiting for design judges. It's a volunteer role, and you pay to get to either LA or Michigan, but once there they'll house and feed you. 

PM me for details.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/21/20 11:30 p.m.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/31/22 12:39 p.m.
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
10/31/22 1:38 p.m.

I'm just here for the Descendents reference.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
10/31/22 4:27 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I see you are already streets ahead on that reference 

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
1/6/23 10:09 a.m.
itsarebuild said:

I wish those Motorsport teams were there when I went through. My motorsports experience was a freind on my dorm floor with a 66 Chevy truck with a farm nearby to work on it. Better than nothing but not very technical.

My college motorsports experience consisted of skipping class to play Daytona at the local arcade.

David S. Wallens
3/14/24 3:58 p.m.
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado said:

I'm just here for the Descendents reference.

Hey, just bought tickets to see them.

And nice to see this get zombied. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VgjtWkuSGw2qtEMMfZNGRC16AYOEp75C5SLs0THWMqFUtoEoKLSSpqP88Dn1PlLc