6 7 8 9
Erich
Erich UberDork
7/29/18 8:09 p.m.

I used to switch bikes like crazy, riding a bike for a couple months and then getting bored, moving on to (what I thought were) greener pastures.

I'm trying to do something different with my 92 Bridgestone XO-1. I've mentioned it before in this thread. It was my holy grail bike 15 years ago, and I bought it well-used 9 years ago, and it's been my on-again off-again primary bike since then.

This year when I found myself drooling over the newest 27.5, disc brakes, through-axle, plus-tired bike to hit the market, I decided to throw some money at the old XO instead. $100 for a NOS Deore XT wheelset, $40 for some medium-reach Shimano R600 brakes, and a new chain, and she's riding much better than a week ago. Hopefully nice enough to sustain me without another new bike catching my eye (and wallet)

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/29/18 8:11 p.m.

In reply to Erich :

Whatever you do, don't test ride one of those new bikes. 

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
7/29/18 10:38 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

I know Fuji made enough bikes that it might not actually be a *huge* coincidence, but I was still startled enough by it to take a pic when I ran into this bike locked up while I was out and about today:

(13 year old me was so jealous of the aero brake cable routing. 13 year old me was pretty insufferable, really...)

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/30/18 5:28 a.m.

Sigh. Looks like another week with no riding...

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
8/1/18 6:28 p.m.

It finally came today! I don't think I've anticipated a package so much since I was a kid cheeky

And in a few minutes I turned that into this

I spent a few minutes peddling around the yard before I deemed it roadworthy enough right out of the box and set off up the road and did about 7 miles. Love it! I do need to put some air in the tires, which I guess I'll need to get a different pump for, since it never occured to me the tires stems would have anything other than shrader valves on them. And it definitely needs a better seat - I feel like I've been violated.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
8/1/18 6:41 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E :

You might try adjusting that saddle so that it looks level when viewed from the side. But it's also possible that it's the wrong seat for you, full stop.

Most modern bike pumps adapt to Schrader or Presta automatically, or if you have compressed air, the bike shop can sell you an adapter to fill Presta with a Schrader chuck. Actually, the most basic form of adapter would work fine with a Schrader-only hand pump as well, I just find them to be a pain since you have to open the valve, thread the adapter on, air up, thread it back off, close the valve... It's worth having something that isn't tedious.

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
8/1/18 7:27 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

Good tip on the seat, I think that should help.

I'll see what the bike shop has for adapters, but i probably should get a hand pump of some sort eventually. My portable 12v compressor got run over at a car show a while back and I kinda hate dragging out the big compressor.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
8/1/18 9:33 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E :

Great looking bike! Glad you're loving it. I have a park tools pump but I'd check out nashbars pumps for the $$$

coexist
coexist Reader
8/2/18 12:25 a.m.

I'm guessing you would run about 18 lbs in those tires, could prolly just inflate by mouth.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
8/5/18 3:02 p.m.

I'm seriously looking into bike commuting to work.

My local CL is full of nothing but big box store bikes being listed at nearly 80% of what they cost new. Except for this https://killeen.craigslist.org/bik/d/specialized-stumpjumper/6660758063.html seems like it would be a great commuter. 

What y'all think?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
8/5/18 3:16 p.m.

Doesn't matter how perfect the saddle is, if you haven't been spending time on it your bum is going to hurt.  

Finally bought 'Speedy' back from my buddy, enjoying having something I don't mind locking up when I'm using it for errands/etc  
Sub 20 pounds for a full steel 59cm bike (with bashguard!)

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
8/5/18 11:16 p.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

Might be well outdated as a Proper Mountain Bike, but that looks like it'd make a great commuter. I was about to say it sounded like a decent deal if it wasn't totally shot, but it sounds like it's been gone through. Hopefully the ad is accurate, in which case it should be splendid.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/5/18 11:39 p.m.

This one is mine:

This one is a friend's, moments away from being finished:

Erich
Erich UberDork
8/6/18 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

That's a great deal. Would make a very capable and comfortable commuter. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
8/6/18 10:39 a.m.

The 26" RockShox Revelation fork on my Blur LT is beginning to eat itself- some of the coating on the left fork tube is turning to dust, but it still rides fine.   I'm planning to ride it until something feels noticeably wrong, but what should my plan be for the future?  Is there much to be gained by replacing it with something else, or should I be hunting down rebuild parts for my decade old fork?

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
8/6/18 11:10 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

You are in the same spot I'm in. 26" RockShox Dart 2 on my 2010 Giant Yukon FX wasn't a great fork new, and its iffy 8 years later. But I don't get to mtb often, and 26" 1 1/8 straight steerer fork upgrades are limited. I'll probably just shell out the money for an xfusion fork eventually (like yourself I'm waiting for complete failure) because its cheaper than buying a new full suspension mtb 

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
8/7/18 5:12 p.m.

I'll play along.  Here's my 1971 Raleigh Competition.  Bought it on Craigslist a few years ago, stripped it down to the frame and figured out how to put it back together with ingenuity, YouTube, and a good friend.  Nothing fancy, although it was in its day, but it's a local bike and my first road bike.

And here's my current mt bike.  $45 on Craigslist the other year.  I love 90s MTBs, and the elevated chainstay is just cool and quirky.  Got a newer crankset/set of wheels and tires/bars/derailleurs on OfferUp for $20 to replace the hodgepodge crankset that was on it.  Only really ridden it once, there's not a ton of mt biking right around me, and I still need to dial in a few things.  Haven't nailed down the year, either.  I'm thinking early 90s?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/7/18 6:20 p.m.

Rode for the first time in about 6 years. Did 10.5 miles in 45 minutes and I am out of shape enough that it was a bit of an effort. Figured about 10 miles would be a good starting distance to get back in the swing of things. Not sure that I'll get back in the kind of riding shape I was in 17 years ago, but I will get in better shape than I am in now. Too bad I live where it is flat because climbing was always my favorite way to suffer.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
8/7/18 7:17 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

I agree about climbing. In particular when I'm thinking about trying to get lighter, there's a poetry in the effort being tied to the excess mass...

Of course, I also just feel like I'm banking effort and achieving something when gong up hill, whereas flat just feels like I'm plowing my energy into nothing but warming the passing breeze imperceptibly...

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
8/8/18 9:15 a.m.

SkinnyG--

We need some more info on that bike of yours!  That's wild!

Erich
Erich UberDork
8/18/18 8:56 p.m.

New bike day for me. ADD got me and I decided to pick up the new Jones Plus SWB. It's a rigid steel framed "plus" bike, which basically means it's halfway in between a "normal" mountain bike and a fat bike. 

It's very ridiculous in some great ways. I'm excited to hit the local trails with it. Maybe get some gear and go bikepacking. 

travellering
travellering HalfDork
8/19/18 9:26 p.m.

In reply to Erich :

It so beautifully suits the car behind it in the photo!  Both are funk over function.  A very rigid steel frame with tires for tackling terrain way beyond the suspension's capability.  I'd have a stupid grin riding or driving either.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/20/18 12:20 a.m.
sethmeister4 said:

SkinnyG--

We need some more info on that bike of yours!  That's wild!

I don't know if I have anything useful to add.

I sketched it, I drew it up on CAD, I built it.  Rides fine, springer works, suicide shifter works (need to cast a "skull" handle for it though). It's heavy.

Dammit
Dammit Reader
8/20/18 12:59 p.m.

I didn't know that this thread existed, prepare for extreme spamming.

Dammit
Dammit Reader
8/20/18 1:09 p.m.

I've got a couple of Serotta - the Colorado is currenty stuck in, erm, Colorado, the CSi is here in the UK:

(Both pictured in Colorado).

Cross bike:

Two of my Kleins:

Time Machine:

Rocket:

Gnarmac:

Scalpel SE:

The other Klein:

Silk Road:

I think that's all of them.

6 7 8 9
Our Preferred Partners