7 8 9
WilD
WilD Dork
8/20/18 1:25 p.m.

In reply to Dammit :

Wow...  cool

To keep piling onto this thread, here is a picture of my Cross bike from my Sunday ride:

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
9/2/18 11:30 a.m.

Random recent shot of my Hook. Dont mind the angle on the seat... it slipped. 

What do you guys like for helmets? I performed an absolute beast of a face slide off a drop the other night and cracked mine. Yay for face stitches!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/3/18 9:05 a.m.

^I find that the similar seat on mine needs about a zillion ft-lbs (evenly distributed, it seems to be possible to torque the sides unequally?) to avoid slipping even for fairly mild riding. Sounds like you need to step up to a full-face helmet like this:

Also what front mud guard is that and does it work well?

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
9/3/18 10:26 a.m.

Yeah the torque spec on that seat is like 10in/lb - LOLnope. Cranked it down with a bigger tool and I think it's finally there. 

I don't think I'm ready to step up to a full face for 95% of the riding I do, despite the current state of my face.  I've been eyeing the Giro Fixture MIPS:

The mud guard is a Muckynutz. It does seem to help some. Certainly worth the ~$12 and weighs pretty much nothing. 

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
9/3/18 10:56 a.m.

SWMBO has been borrowing my 2002? vintage Giant Rincon SE to get home from work all summer, and finally decided to buy a bike for herself yesterday. She had a $200 CAD budget and want really interested/comfortable buying used off Kijiji, so we were pretty much limited to big box stores like Canadian Tire, Sport Chek, and Walmart. 

Wants were lighter weight, front suspension, handlebars that were fairly wide, and clicky shifters rather than twist grip. Bonus points for pretty/outrageous colours.

I was pushing for a hybrid style bike, but we ended up pushing the budget up and getting a Diadora Corso for $331 CAD taxes in (about $252 USD) marked down plus a "no tax sale" this weekend.

She's thrilled with it and I'm excited that we'll be able to go for rides together now that we don't have to share.

Specs from website

Frame:  Heat Treated T6 - 6061 Aluminum
Wheelset: 27.5" CAVU Double Wall Alloy Rims with Quick Release Disc Hubs and Seyoun B008 27.5" x 2.25" Tires
Shifters: Shimano Tourney EZ-Fire ST-EF41 3x7 speed with optical display
Derailleurs: Shimano Tourney TY300 Rear / Shimano Tourney TY500 Front
Crankset: Alloy 170mm 44/34/24T with Square Taper BB.
Freewheel: Shimano TZ21 14-28T 7 speed
Brakes: Jak-5 Mechanical Disc with 160mm rotors. Shimano ST-EF41 Levers

Think we did okay for the price? It's not as light as mine, and I hope it's got sufficient quality parts in it to last a while.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
9/6/18 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Run_Away :

For what she is planning on doing with it I think it's more than sufficient. Well done. 

I got to hit some new to me trails this weekend before the rain came and had a great time. i just don't understand how I'm the only one who seems to get aggressively dirty every single time.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/19/18 8:07 p.m.

I got a new bike, I think it needs a few parts before I'm ready to ride. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/19/18 9:23 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

Sweet!  I did a very minimal fix-up on a pre-WW2 Champion brand bike a couple years ago for a friend.  It was a bike his Dad bought as a kid.  Now my buddy rides it around his neighborhood once or twice a year.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/19/18 9:54 p.m.

Nice! Hes braver then me riding those original rims! This is my current around town beater. It's a 66 Murray built flightliner frame. I have a 53 scwhinn spitfire 24 i need to paint and assemble for my wife. I like old bikes! 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/20/18 10:56 a.m.
MazdaFace said:

In reply to Run_Away :

For what she is planning on doing with it I think it's more than sufficient. Well done. 

I got to hit some new to me trails this weekend before the rain came and had a great time. i just don't understand how I'm the only one who seems to get aggressively dirty every single time.

I've had my legs look dirtier than that after a full-loop ride at Six Mile Run in NJ when it's bone dry, such is the clay dust.  We lovingly call it a "Six Mile Tan".

7 8 9
Our Preferred Partners
hFU8izdXmlvFHUdJLA25COn0lrEGC6Rknr6PTV8dzzjo5qGWZOv3rnhbIAIciCDW