1 2 3
pigeon
pigeon Reader
5/6/09 9:22 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Then there was the one I saw in the driveway at about 2 or 3PM. That's rabies until proven otherwise. Hit it with a 9mm (Mr. Helwan again) in the torso and it didn't even know it'd been shot. About 4 more and it was done.

From the "Armadillos" thread a while back:

ClemSparks wrote: I don't know 'dillos so well, but they look like 'armored opossums' to me ;).

And because I'm somewhat of a narcissist, here's my story about vermin (a racoon):

The Clem Sparks Chronicles By Clem Sparks, Grease Monkey Extraordinaire

3/15/06

Clem and the Demented Raccoon

Sometimes you have an experience that changes the way you think about things. Recently, I had such an experience. It made me realize that raccoons are not always to be regarded as cute, yet mischievous varmints.

It was about 7:00 in the evening and I was in the country working on the Toyota cab and chassis truck (From Milwaukee) trying to remove the valuable parts which the truck was purchased for. I was working at my friend’s shop that conveniently had a lift and air tools. While removing studs from the hub flange, I noticed from the corner of my eye, a small animal. I quickly looked over, expecting to see a cat. I was only mildly surprised to find a raccoon looking in at me from the darkness outside. I did my usual, “Hey there little raccoon!” response and expected it to swiftly scamper off to another of its scavenging spots.

I’ve run across raccoons before, and this is their typical response. They typically freeze, stare at you for a minute or two, and then reluctantly scamper off.

To my surprise, it paused, scratched its belly with a hind leg, and proceeded toward me. At this point, I hollered at the raccoon. He stopped for a moment, acting annoyed at my audacity. I could just hear him thinking, “Dude, why are you still here…what are you? Some kinda tough guy?”

I could see that this wasn’t going well, so I decided to scare him off for good. I picked up the air chisel that was within reach and pulled the trigger, making a racket that would likely make a grizzly head for the back 40. I thought I had been successful when the raccoon meandered off. However, he only moved back about 3 feet. I threw an old radiator hose his way and he bit at it and then seemed uninterested when he realized it was neither food nor predator.

At this point it was obvious to me that this raccoon had established a territory in the shop and I was not going to stop him from coming in for a look see.

He came back to his previous spot and looked at me. It was then that he began some sort of strange posturing exercise that I have ultimately diagnosed as a seizure of some sort. He sat up on his hind legs while showing his teeth, started convulsing and then fell over onto his side. Then he got back up on all fours and came toward me. I’m not ashamed to tell you, at this point I was scared! I deduced that the animal was diseased, demented, and didn’t want me around. I light-footedly traipsed around the truck and out of the shop. The raccoon, of course, followed me. The safest place I could imagine at this time was my car. So I quickly walked to it, ever mindful of the assailant on my tail, and hopped in. The raccoon kept coming. I fished through my pockets and found my keys. I started the car and turned on the headlights. The raccoon kept coming!

As he approached my car, I thought, “That’s it, time to put this thing out of its misery.” I put the car in gear and drove over the top of the raccoon. As I expected, I was not successful at mashing the animal. Turning around to see where he was I realized that he was again pursuing my car. So I put it in reverse and went over him again. One more time in forward gear and he’d had enough and decided to return to his interests in the shop itself. I watched him wander around aimlessly in the shop for several minutes from the safety of my car. Eventually, he went outside and around the corner to enter another part of the shop.

The funny part of this story is that I had a gun, a .22 rifle, in the cab of the truck in the shop. I’m not a hunter and the only reason I own the gun is because, much like cars, I see the gun as an artfully crafted machine. I have owned this rifle for over 10 years, and it has been used twice, for target practice. Tonight, I was going to make it three times. I made the decision to enter the shop and load the gun. This felt to me like a scene from an action movie. I couldn’t move fast enough! I loaded the gun and went out of the shop and scoped out the situation.

I was sure the critter would be back…it was just a matter of time. I knew that when the time came I would have to shoot away from the shop (filled with cars, tractor, motorcycle, explosive fluids and cylinders, etc), my car, the house, and any other valuable thing or being. I formulated somewhat of a plan, and went back into the shop.

Nervously, I began half-heartedly working on the truck again. Working with my hands, but staring out the open door to the shop in anticipation. Then, sure enough, the raccoon came around the corner and looked at me. I sprung to my feet and grabbed my gun. The raccoon pursued me as I ran around the truck and out of the shop. At that point he seemed to be happy to have me gone and wandered around the shop, scuffled with the cat, and apparently had another one of those fits I described earlier.

It was time, I decided, to write the final chapter of this little episode. I was confident that if I drew attention to myself, the ‘coon would be annoyed at me again and come after me in his typical threatening fashion. So I shuffled my feet in the gravel. Sure enough, I got his attention and he came my way. I tiptoed my way across my pre-planned route to lure him away from the shop and into the line of fire. I raised my rifle and spotted the critter in the scope. I didn’t have a clean shot, though. There were gasoline containers behind him and a garden tiller between him and I. A little too high and I could start a fire. A little to the left and I could kill a valuable piece of machinery. With rifle still at the ready, and the varmint in the crosshairs, I made a few steps back and the raccoon obliged by coming around the tiller and into a clear spot. The adrenaline flowed and things were moving fast. Is this a safe shot? If I miss him, will he be able to bite me before I can get another shot?

I squeezed the trigger, and it was over. I like to think that I put that raccoon out of his misery that night. It was apparent to me that he was out of sorts and possibly carrying a disease. I returned to working on the truck, but I frequently checked to see that that raccoon was still lying in the same place, and had not come back to life to chase me around some more.

I now realize that though I love animals and have a special connection with them; it sure is nice to have a loaded gun when a demented raccoon shows up at your door.

Dr. Hess wrote:

Clem, that coon had rabies until proven otherwise. Other chance of parvo in the differential diagnosis. Either way, you don't want you or your critters around that. 22 in the head. I had a similar experience with one about 3PM. Walking right towards me. Didn't even know it had been shot in the belly with a 9mm. Kept coming. 4 more and it was all done. Popping a coon in the head isn't all that easy, either. I usually use a Stoger Luger 22. Try nailing a bobbing quarter at 15 ft with a handgun.

And yeah, the first thing I though was raccoons rappelling too LOL.

senador
senador New Reader
5/7/09 5:25 p.m.

I think you may be able to fashion a harness out of some old shock cord on the cheap, but getting it on the little guy may cause some injury. I don't know why you would want to take a raccoon rappelling anyway, they have pretty good climbing skills out of the box.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago HalfDork
5/7/09 6:55 p.m.
senador wrote: I think you may be able to fashion a harness out of some old shock cord on the cheap, but getting it on the little guy may cause some injury. I don't know why you would want to take a raccoon rappelling anyway, they have pretty good climbing skills out of the box.

Have you ever seen Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls? Raccoons obviously need some help.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
5/7/09 7:20 p.m.

See a raccoon by day kill it quik usually rabid . Hang a raw chix leg and go out at night usually at dark and just shoot them . 22 nobody knows where the shot came from . Drive down to the HOA presidents house throw it in yard .

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Dork
5/7/09 9:00 p.m.

Just don't get any raccoon on yer hootus.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair Dork
5/7/09 9:08 p.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: See a raccoon by day kill it quik usually rabid . Hang a raw chix leg and go out at night usually at dark and just shoot them . 22 nobody knows where the shot came from . Drive down to the HOA presidents house throw it in yard .

win!

Spitsix
Spitsix New Reader
5/7/09 9:51 p.m.

Just saw the movie "Soloist" Great movie and raccoon removal plays a rather large part - The answer is Powdered Coyote Urine mixed with water and hung in a plastic bag. Google it.

Scott

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
5/8/09 8:35 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
Karl La Follette wrote: See a raccoon by day kill it quik usually rabid . Hang a raw chix leg and go out at night usually at dark and just shoot them . 22 nobody knows where the shot came from . Drive down to the HOA presidents house throw it in yard .
win!

+2 I've seen 'em staggereing out of the Metro park in the afternoon with crazed eyes... Like something outta a horror flick!

Got one of those tall , rolling , garbage cans? Over 4 feet tall? Make a ramp up to it. They tumble in looking for grub or ??? and then it muffles the single .22 shot nicely. Garbage truck hauls 'em away.

Case closed.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/8/09 8:44 a.m.
SoloSonett wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote:
win!
+2 I've seen 'em staggereing out of the Metro park in the afternoon with crazed eyes... Like something outta a horror flick! Got one of those tall , rolling , garbage cans? Over 4 feet tall? Make a ramp up to it. They tumble in looking for grub or ??? and then it muffles the single .22 shot nicely. Garbage truck hauls 'em away. Case closed.

Won't the Home Owners' Association notice their president is missing?

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
5/8/09 9:03 a.m.

Hate to interrupt everyone's party, but seeing raccoons during the day is common, and typically not a sign of rabies:

"It's a myth that raccoons seen during daylight hours must be rabid. It is not unusual for healthy mother raccoons with hungry babies to search for extra food during the day, and raccoons can often be seen sunbathing in trees. Raccoons will forage for food along coastlines whenever low tide occurs. Only if a raccoon or other wild animal is acting strange or sick - convulsing, circling, appearing disoriented or partly paralyzed, showing signs of unprovoked aggression or uncharacteristic tameness - people should call their animal control officer or police."

Now back to your regularly scheduled blood lust....

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/8/09 9:16 a.m.

If you get rabies, your dead. A terrible death, as deaths go. If I see a coon in the daytime, it's a dead one. I've seen exactly one coon in daylight hours, and it was sick, right up until it died from lead poisoning.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
5/8/09 9:29 a.m.

Well the bloodletting and the lead poisoning.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
5/8/09 9:35 a.m.

Back in the "Leave it to Beaver" days of my youth, there was an underground culvert made of 24" concrete pipe, with a pretty steep grade. It was about 100 yards long, and we used to ride through it in what was known as a "Flexi Flyer". It was potentially dangerous, and had 4 wheels, so it made good sense at the time; fun times for certain.

It was pitch dark, of course, so we taped flashlights onto the handles of the Flyer so we could see what was in front of us on the way down. One day the flashlight's beam reflected off of 2 shiny beads in the middle of the tunnel, about half way down. It was a racoon who'd wandered into the culvert, and I was bearing down on him at probably 20 MPH.

I'm not sure if I scared him more than he scared me, but when we came out of the end of the pipe, I assure you we went our seperate ways in a hurry.

I realized later that I was lucky I didn't get my face chewed off. Bad day for a kid, but a great story for an old guy; wouldn't want to do it again.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/8/09 11:40 a.m.

'Dammit! Why is it EVERY TIME I wake up from a midday nap some jerk keeps taking potshots at me???'

Pat
Pat New Reader
5/8/09 9:38 p.m.

Just follow these steps:

1 - Seal hole where they are getting into the house

2 - go to garage

3 - find that bucket of used antifreeze that you haven't brought to the recycle center yet

4 - pour some sweet tasting, poisonous coolant in a nice big bowl

5 - leave bowl out near where racoons are climbing into the house. Putting some food on the side is optional

6 - go to sleep with a smile.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
5/8/09 9:51 p.m.

Holy crap! You guys are being jerks. I can't understand why people can't go out if there way to let something live, and instead take the easy way and kill it. (I'm not saying leave it live at your house, just trap and release him elsewhere).

Before Everyone thinks I'm some bleeding heart liberal, understand that I'm not. I may be a bleeding heart, but a liberal I'm not. I like guns. I own 5, more or less. 2 pistols, 1 rifle, 1 air rifle, a 1 co2 pistol. I wouldn't shoot anything unless it was directly threatening me.

Sorry, kind of went on a tangent there. This doesn't in any way affect my opinion of you guys in any way, outside of this current topic.

Joey

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
5/8/09 10:41 p.m.

Sorry, lost two cats to raccoons.

Plus they got into the tarp garage my Lincoln was stored under and shat all over the car last winter.

No mercy here either.

I don't like the coolant idea, too much collateral damage..

Now I need to get my neighbours dog to stop E36 M3ting in my yard.

Shawn

Woody
Woody Dork
5/9/09 6:00 a.m.
WilD wrote: Drozd... but only because you have other structures close by.

Have you got a Drozd?

I bought one a few years ago, but couldn't make it work properly and got my money back. Of course, it was about 20 degrees out so maybe I couldn't get sufficient pressure out of the CO2.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
5/9/09 7:36 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Sorry, lost two cats to raccoons. Plus they got into the tarp garage my Lincoln was stored under and shat all over the car last winter. No mercy here either. I don't like the coolant idea, too much collateral damage.. Now I need to get my neighbours dog to stop E36 M3ting in my yard. Shawn

While I feel sorry for your cats, that just reinforces that cats should not be outdoors.

Joey

924guy
924guy HalfDork
5/9/09 9:22 a.m.

simple solution, get a dog...

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
5/9/09 10:09 a.m.

Hate dogs, sorry. I think that would add to the "dog E36 M3 in my yard" problem I have already.

Cats are inside cats now, have been since I lost the first two.

Shawn

The_Jed
The_Jed New Reader
5/9/09 10:36 a.m.

(QUOTE) Thanks for the suggestions all! I'm gonna start with flashing and see where that gets me. (QUOTE) Instantly I am thinking of Foster from Super Troopers-"Uh-Oh I think he's going to the window again!...Did you see him,eww,he's all bulgy.He's like a moose!" In my case the neighbors would prefer a firearm in lieu of the above tactic!

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
5/9/09 10:55 a.m.

flashing might be what it takes. My grandfather had problems with a squirrel getting into the attic of their house. We patched the moldings on the roof several times and the thing would just gnaw a hole through a different spot to get in.

eventually we metal flashed everything.. end of story

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
5/9/09 3:26 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: Hess, any advice on Beaver removal?

Must...resist...smartass...comments...

Woody
Woody Dork
5/9/09 4:03 p.m.

For fun, coat the upper half of the aluminum flashing with Vaseline, just in case the raccoon gets that far!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8tYqys2tLSDZCWbt0MmYiFFXOsrFNTnhittUlqr3yqRAVVchME6F7ihJDVc3wX0u