1 2 3 4
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
9/27/22 5:14 p.m.

I'm in my early 50s, 5'10" and weigh about 205.

I was trying to join the 1k club before I broke my arms. Breaking both arms put a stop to that and I literally deleted all of my old workout information. Why? I was depressed as hell that I couldn't do anything at all besides some body weight squats and short walks for 3 months. I tried to go into the gym to use the leg press or whatever, and they laughed and told me to come back when the casts were off.

This was not good, especially since converting bad mental thoughts into physical exercise was one of my coping mechanisms. 

But, now I'm back in the gym! I'm still chasing full mobility in my wrists, so my current goal is to finish my recovery. Just a few weeks ago, I got to the point where I could hold the bar behind my back to do squats! Yay! I'm still not going to be doing power cleans for a while, though. I can do bench presses, but I'm still working on being able to hold myself up to do a proper form pushup- my wrists don't bend quite that far, yet.

My current routine consists of doing the following, in a "lift a weight that doesn't hurt your arms but pushes into uncomfortable range." I do the upper and lower body on a rotating schedule: 3x a week for one, 2x a week for the other, alternating which one is 3x a week every other week. Both currently include a 5.5 mile round trip bike commute to the gym and some dedicated core (sit up, plank, etc.) three days a week.

Upper body day:
Bench press
Barbell rows
Pull ups/lat pull downs
Military press
Forward and reverse curls

Leg days:
Squats
Deadlifts
Romanian dead lifts (light weight)
May add leg curls, I don't know.

I also try to do cardio at least three times a week: biking, running, brisk walk, whatever. I can run a 5k at a 10:xx mile overall pace without stopping, and that's slowly improving. I still prefer to get my cardio in while doing something else: Fishing, mtn bike riding with friends, and so on.

And for the hell of it, here's my current state of existence. Hoping to get the waist down a bit and bulk up a bit again.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
9/27/22 6:59 p.m.

Man I hate running, but I don't know of other cardio forms to do tonight for ~45 mins. Any ideas? Might also just ride my bike.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/27/22 7:26 p.m.

Burpees

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/27/22 8:06 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

Does anybody have a calisthenics/stretching routine? Do you just jump in on it? or cardio?

DeFranco Agile 8

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/27/22 8:21 p.m.

Tried this today:

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/built-for-battle/

I chose the Group One list of exercises and tested my 3RM on the movements. I dig the total-body muscular fatigue feeling. I like this guy's programs though he does cater to the "enhanced" crowd. 

I think I'll do one of the circuits listed in the program two non-consecutive days per week followed by my favorite Grappler's Circuit the following day, then some cardio/boxing on the day after that. For a while anyway, until I hop on a different program. LOL

Heavy Circuit
Grappler's Circuit
cardio/boxing
rest?
Heavy Circuit
Grappler's Circuit
rest or cardio/boxing 

9/29/22 3:38 p.m.

I started really light  when I started getting back in the gym to focus on technique and keep from getting an injury. I've been moving up in weight steadily.

Today, I hit a failure point in dead lifts using a double overhand grip. My grip gave out on my 5th rep at 235 pounds. This was not a failure point before, and I knew grip strength was going to be a problem.

The plan is to use straps to keep working dead lifts up and work grip independently moving forward.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/29/22 5:08 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

Are your digits long enough to use a hook grip? 

9/29/22 7:38 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed :

Funny enough, I was just watching a video on the hook grip earlier. I should be able to use one, and that's better than straps.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/29/22 8:16 p.m.

I took today's workout and maxed out on my lifts to get a baseline (I'm 5'10", 165lbs.)

Bench - 170

Squat - 175 (feel like I left some on the table here)

Deadlift - 265

My goals after 5 months of lifting (and my 45th birthday next Feb.) were 185, 200, and 225. I'm thinking of upping them a little bit. I'm about 15 years removed from any regular weight lifting, so I have the potential advantage of some quicker initial gains, but the disadvantage of not being in my 20s anymore. I'm thinking 195, 215, and 300.  What do you guys think? Am I living in the past, or are those do-able improvements after 40?

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/29/22 8:37 p.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

I'd say, barring any injuries that keep you from safely maxing out on a particular movement, those numbers are 100% attainable. What sort of program are you currently using? 

I made a LOT of good gains on everything but my flat bench using 5/3/1 Triumvirate. My OHP, squat, and deadlift maxes went through the ceiling. Quickly. I also noticed growth in my quads, chest, shoulders, and arms.

This is a handy calculator for building a program based on percentages of your 1RM. 

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/29/22 8:40 p.m.

You'll also make a lot of strength gains while your body learns the mechanics of the movements. When I got serious about putting more weight on the bar I became a student of the lift and studied every aspect of it and how it applied to my particular body mechanics. Dave Tate does a good job of breaking down the science behind powerlifting but, I find his tough guy, gruff act to be more than a little tiring.

9/29/22 9:11 p.m.

Appreciate the feedback!  I'm going to start with working a basic split routine a few times a week (hoping for 2-3 days). Squats, bent-over rows, shrugs, and alternating lunges one workout, and deadlifts and bench (with a curved bar to allow a greater range of motion) the second day. I need to add some shoulder exercises to that.  I'll probably use a higher rep range on the bench and shrugs. I'm trying not to be stupid and chase numbers, so I'll mix up exercises and rep ranges a bit. I've used drop sets with good success in the past, so im sure I'll use them again. I'd also like to add in some power cleans.

I feel like my form is pretty solid in the exercises, I've always been very conscious of form. But I'm sure there's some room for improvement, so I'm looking to checking out the videos you mentioned. I appreciate all the help!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/29/22 9:55 p.m.

Those are 5 month goals?  That should be very very attainable.  I'd just do starting strength and call it good, but my left knee has some stuff to say about that :(

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/30/22 8:43 a.m.

I think you left a lot on the table with that squat. If you're deadlifting 265, you should be squatting >205. I suspect you are having technique issues. Either going unnecessarily low, not bracing properly, or having ankle mobility issues that are putting your weight too far forward.

Get video of yourself from a couple different angles. Ideally get a trainer. Figure out what is holding your back.

Change up your footwear to something with a stiffer sole and either less heel or more heel depending on what's up with your body mechanics.

I second Starting Strength as a good program for you right now while you're making newby gains.

Once you're out of your newby gains phase, there's lots of arguments about what sort of program is best. If you're not an elite level athlete training for a specific purpose, and are just a regular person looking to get fitter, you don't need to complicate it.

• Do compound movements that activate as many muscle groups as practical.
  • Exert force to just below failure. Rest. Repeat.
  • Take time to recover.
  • Vary the stimulus. Use different weights, reps, and exercise variations.

That's all every program is doing. I like to hit each muscle group with one heavy day, one light day (can be hypertrophy or speed), and at least one other day of intensive muscle activation (climbing, park skating, ring calisthenics, an extra lifitng day, etc.). That keeps things varied and from feeling like a chore.

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
9/30/22 11:20 a.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

In reply to The_Jed :

Funny enough, I was just watching a video on the hook grip earlier. I should be able to use one, and that's better than straps.

Ever try mixed grip? I double overhand for warm ups, and mix grip from like 70%+ I just started playing with hook grip, but more in the context of cleans and snatches, not heavy deads.

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
9/30/22 11:36 a.m.
fatallightning said:
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

In reply to The_Jed :

Ever try mixed grip? I double overhand for warm ups, and mix grip from like 70%+ I just started playing with hook grip, but more in the context of cleans and snatches, not heavy deads.

There is a risk of injury to bicep with a mixed grip, if you do a mixed grip alternate your hands and make sure your lifts are smooth. Ultimately hook grip is safer although it is more uncomfortable. I've also added in some forearm focused exercises in an effort to improve grip strength as my deadlift moves up in weight again.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/30/22 3:51 p.m.

I strongly prefer a hex bar for that reason and, for me at least, it beats up my spine a lot less than a straight bar. No need for a mixed grip and less back pain.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/1/22 8:23 p.m.

I go to a mixed grip for heavier reps.  Hook grip has never really worked for me.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a calorie tracking app?  I use MyFitnessPal currently, but as of today they disabled the barcode scanner for free members and you need a premium account.  

I would honestly consider a premium account if the app was any good, but it's... not great to begin with.

10/3/22 6:09 p.m.

I do MyFitnessPal, as well.  Was disappointed to see the barcode scanner go away from the free version, but I eat some variation of the same basic foods most days, so it's not as critical for me.  I'm going to try to live with the free version for now, and see if I can avoid shelling out the extra money.  I actually do like the app, and like I mentioned in the other thread, calorie-counting is a necessity for me in order to hold myself accountable.

10/4/22 1:37 a.m.

I tried the hook grip today, and despite watching videos and such, I don't think I have it down. The bar was still rolling out. That, or my grip strength still isn't very good after the injury.

I got a 275 deadlift up with zero issues- I mean, as smooth as butter- with a mixed grip, though. 

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
10/4/22 8:34 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

I need to just practice, my thumb isn't used to the squeeze. It shouldn't require much grip strength per se, the weight itself pins your thumb and prevents roll out. Like I said, I'm crap at it though, so YMMV. 

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard Marketing Coordinator
10/4/22 9:19 a.m.

Anybody have tips for starting off lifting heavy and avoiding injury? I've been a gym rat for years but lately I've been wanting to challenge myself with heavier lifts. I've also always struggled with building upper body strength and would like to overcome that.

Also, boooo to myfitnesspal making the barcode scanner a paid feature. Noticed that while trying to enter my breakfast this morning.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/4/22 10:14 a.m.

In reply to Nicole Suddard :

Start here. 

https://store.thestrength.co/products/starting-strength-basic-barbell-training-by-mark-rippetoe?gclid=CjwKCAjws--ZBhAXEiwAv-RNL8z5wbmAv-W9BBsrpeSpJjR5p_smTTGow4n6Uz1z4Ow2NMtd_IVqCBoC3okQAvD_BwE

ego lifting will kill you faster than anything. 

consistency matters. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/4/22 10:16 a.m.

I need to get back here. I stopped heavy lifting to ride more bikes and finish a tri. 

earlier this year I was at 280 bench, 315 dead and a 340 squat without trying much.   Not much to go to get 1k club. So back at it. 

Katie Suddard
Katie Suddard Advertising Coordinator
10/4/22 10:32 a.m.

Anyone have tips for building strength back up post-surgery? I'm post physical therapy and technically cleared for take-off, but the arm still hurts. Especially along my tricep where they sliced it open.

I know that unless I keep at it, it'll always hurt but I'm struggling with the pushing through part.  

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uPLPX8tjivXM1EI9jbjrHmflI1G27uIZhNZw3CRIkaubAFa46Nlwbkd1SFwwhzog