calteg
calteg Dork
11/29/18 2:27 p.m.

So I'm filling in an ancient pool on some property I just purchased. I've already tunneled through the bottom of it and installed a French drain with two layers of landscaper's fabric on top. Now I'm at the point of actually filling the pool. In my corner of the world, there's only a thin layer of topsoil before you hit limestone. I can have free fill "dirt" delivered, but it will consist of 80% limestone. Knowing how porous it is, my concern is that it might degrade over time and clog the landscapers fabric...am I crazy?  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/29/18 3:59 p.m.

Unless you have something particularly acidic going on it won't degrade enough to matter over your lifetime. 

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
11/29/18 6:38 p.m.

I say just hire a couple teenagers with sledgehammers to bust it up.   

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
11/30/18 10:00 a.m.

Any stone you use might settle a bit over time, but caves and sink holes take millions of years to form.

So you should be good for a few million years.

Scottah
Scottah Dork
11/30/18 12:11 p.m.

Is this an ancient sinkhole or swimming pool? Why the French drain? Where does it outlet? 

Regarding your main question, the limestone will not break down enough in our lifetime to clog the geofabric. What typically clogs up geofabrics are fines (clays/silts). 

calteg
calteg Dork
11/30/18 12:55 p.m.

@scottah: Swimming pool, built in '88, neglected for the last decade or so. Estimates to "repair" it were more than a brand new pool. I don't want the hassle/expense/liability of having one.  The design is strange, in that the bottom two feet are below grade, then there is a deck that sits flush with the top of the pool. Go under the deck, you have direct access to the sides, so a French drain made sense. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
11/30/18 2:17 p.m.

Neighborhood skatepark???

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
11/30/18 2:22 p.m.

I was kinda thinking about the "why drain" thing.  As long as the concrete floor is sufficiently busted, the ground will do the rest.

Is this a Cali french drain, or a real-people french drain?  Cali french drains are a big hole with stone in it that doesn't go anywhere.  They're just big enough to hold the minimal rain they get a few times a year.  Real french drains have stone that goes somewhere.  A Cali drain won't help much, it just increases the volume of water being held in the pool before the ground can soak it up.  A real french drain will expedite the water drainage, but unless the dirt fill is below pool/deck grade I can't imagine it being a problem.

either way, not sure a drain is really needed.

The issue you'll run into with stone is that the dirt will never fill all the voids, so as water soaks down through it, it will pull some of the dirt.  Every few years you'll need to re-fill unless you mound it up significantly to start.  The best way to minimize that problem is to do the bulk of your fill with stone and sand and maybe stop every foot or so and maybe use a jumping jack or vibrating plate compactor.  Maybe even a concrete pencil.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/30/18 2:46 p.m.

Smaller than a pool, but we had a huge fish pond at my parents place, over 6' deep int he middle and probably 25x15' but irregular shape and depth.  When my father started coming down with Alzheimer and was getting confused my mom gave away all the fish and filled it in.  All she did was make massive cuts in the liner then get some guys to smash the hell out of the concrete (man, all that work we did as kids!!)  Then she had a load of rubble dropped in and covered with top soil.  No drains, no barrier nothing.  It's been perfect for the last 10+ years.

calteg
calteg Dork
11/30/18 5:16 p.m.

@curtis   Again, the layout plays a part. The pool is right on the edge of a limestone cliff.  The drain goes over the edge of the cliff. The pool absolutely held water, I had to bail all of it out with 5 gallon buckets. My primary concern was minimizing any further erosion. 

I really, really wanted to find something clever to do with the empty void (drive over service pit, built a greenhouse over the top of it, turn it into a large rainwater collection basin) but so far I haven't found anything viable

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
12/1/18 10:13 p.m.

Ah... gotcha.

The limestone won't degrade in your lifetime or the lifetime of your next 600 generations.  It may settle as the fill compacts and fills voids, but there is a reason why foundations for houses, roads, and darn near everything else are made with a bed of limestone.  Truth be told, the concrete pool walls will disintegrate before the limestone.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C1bfJj5mPOSA5eDidRDWcePkOQ0cb1XkHOBVEOSQqmycnB4N7M2HP7IuttvHn7oG