2 3 4
aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
2/28/14 9:11 a.m.

Brabham was following behind and stopped to help, deciding, wisely as it turned out, to not give Moss artificial respiration, in case he had broken his ribs. His subsequent diary entry said it all: '18 June, 1960: Shunt. Back. Legs. Nose. Bruises. Bugger.'

nickel_dime
nickel_dime Dork
2/28/14 10:49 a.m.
wbjones wrote: after I spun coming out of Hog Pen (VIR) several yrs ago at a PDX .. ( you have to come into the pits after a "4 off") … the starter asked what happened .. that he'd heard the tire squeals and what-not … I replied that I'd just run out of talent … he laughter as thought that was the first time he'd ever heard that line

I was doing an instructor check ride and intentionally went off there to see how he'd coach a student after an off. When I stopped in the pits and told the marshal what had happened he said "Holy Crap. You meant to go off there? Your either crazy or have a set of big brass ones."

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/28/14 2:58 p.m.

'I looked down at the instruments and up at the doctor'. - Unknown

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
2/28/14 3:24 p.m.

That could easily be attributed to Memo Gidley^

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
2/28/14 3:55 p.m.

"...it will never have enough power until I can spin the wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear." --Mark Donohue (in reply to the Porsche engineers asking if the engine in the 917/10 Can-Am car had enough power).

Donohue was later hurt in a testing accident at Road Atlanta (in the 917/10); George Follmer took over the driving duties and when asked of his thoughts about this turn of events, Donohue replied:

“It just doesn't feel right. Seeing another man driving your car, a car you know so well. I imagine it must feel like watching another man in bed with your wife."

ncjay
ncjay HalfDork
2/28/14 6:48 p.m.

Crew chief - "I want you to hit the pace car". Driver - "Hit the pace car? Why do you want me to hit the pace car?" Crew chief - "Well, you've hit everything else out there, and I want you to be perfect!" Harry Hogg and Cole Trickle in Days of Thunder (like you didn't already know) One of my favorite quotes.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
2/28/14 7:27 p.m.

"If you ain't first yer last"

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
2/28/14 7:43 p.m.
johnp2 wrote: "If you ain't first yer last"

In a related quote: "I was HIGH when I said that"

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
3/1/14 9:32 p.m.