1 2
Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
6/24/21 8:24 p.m.

I grieving pretty hard today. I got word this morning that my dad had a massive stroke overnight. He is '93. His health has been declining rapidly over the last couple of months. It's looking like he's very close to the end.

I called him last Sunday to wish him happy fathers day. He sounded pretty weak.  He wrapped up the conversation with "I love you." This was out of character for him. Maybe he had sense something was coming.

I love you too Dad.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/24/21 8:26 p.m.

That's something that I'm not looking forward to.  Sorry and hope he recovers enough so that you guys have more time.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
6/24/21 8:33 p.m.

Wow, so sorry to hear this.   Hoping he can rally, I’ll keep you both in my prayers.   

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
6/24/21 8:36 p.m.

In reply to Type Q :

Sorry to hear that. I understand completely . My parents are both over 90 and Mom has had a heart attack, a stroke and suffers with COPD. Whichever of them goes first, the other will be soon follow I fear. Those are the phone calls none of us wants to get. Hang in there.

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) HalfDork
6/24/21 8:36 p.m.

I lost my dad at 82, six years ago.  He was fine right up until he wasn't.  I live 10 hours away, but was up visiting, so I was the one who found him.  So glad I talked to him the night before.

What hit me after is that I am now the eldest in the family.

Go see him if you can.  Tell him you love him, even if it is on the phone, even if he isn't awake.

Take care. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/24/21 9:07 p.m.
CJ (FS) said:

What hit me after is that I am now the eldest in the family

I hope all is better today with your dad - these things are tough.   

Besides me I have an older sister and an aunt alive and there are 25/30 people younger than me.  

I have a million memories in my head about the older generations and nobody knows these details but sis/aunt or even cares to hear iany of it as it's irrelevant to them.  

hobiercr
hobiercr SuperDork
6/24/21 9:17 p.m.

Sending love. I lost my Dad 2 days after Christmas in 2018. If it is possible for you to go be with him I would encourage you to do so.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/24/21 9:33 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Write the details down, they do care. My grandfather spent a long time chronicling not only his life but also his father's. The 'books' are family treasures. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
6/24/21 9:35 p.m.

E36 M3, I'm sorry friend. Can you go see him?

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
6/24/21 9:41 p.m.

That is a gut punch I havent had to experiance yet and I'm terrified of it. 

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
6/24/21 10:42 p.m.

I lost my dad a year and a half ago under similar circumstances, massive stroke. I too lived 9 hrs away. I got the phone call while on assignment in Louisville. That was the E36 M3tiest shortest trip I made back home that night.

I still miss him everyday.

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
6/24/21 11:04 p.m.

He has a brain bleed and is unresponsive.  He was already very weak from an intestinal infection. At this point I am praying for a peaceful transition if that is what needs to happen now. 

I am in California.  He's in Michigan. (Lives in St. Johns. Hospitalized in Lansing). I thought seriously about flying back to try to see him few times in the last year.  He's been in care facilities that had COVID related restrictions that meant that I could not have visited him when I got there. We had some nice phone calls that I will treasure.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
6/24/21 11:21 p.m.

Here is hoping for a recovery or least comfort.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/25/21 12:07 a.m.

Thinking and praying for you and your family.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/25/21 7:16 a.m.

I hope this situation resolves itself the best and most comfortable way possible. So sorry to hear this news.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
6/25/21 7:19 a.m.

Positive vibes coming your way. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/25/21 7:27 a.m.

Praying. Dad had a ministroke last month. Hes 76.

All i can do for you is pray. If there's anything you can think of, im here. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/25/21 8:13 a.m.

Sorry to hear that. My dad ended up in the ER on Father's Day with pericarditis that still don't know why it happened, after being diagnosed with liver cancer and having two operations on his liver earlier this year. 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
6/25/21 8:21 a.m.

I hope for the best for your Dad.  

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
6/25/21 8:48 a.m.

My heart aches reading this.

Go be with your father, make sure he knows what you mean to him.

Remember all those great times.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/25/21 10:40 a.m.

Sending best hopes and wishes. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
6/25/21 11:31 a.m.

Thoughts and prayers.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
6/25/21 2:07 p.m.

I'm very sorry to hear that. I'll be praying for you and your father.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/25/21 4:54 p.m.

Sorry to hear.  Echoing Duke's sentiments, I hope this works out the best for all.  Thoughts & prayers.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/25/21 5:06 p.m.

I'm sending you energy and strength.

Also, my dad is a member here, too.  I love you, Dad (lateapexer). 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fdS10zRPImDOow4syKS709yViPQIJrh8EKAjUP0kc2LyRq5dVNyHcS4P6yWdATZu