1 2 3
Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
5/2/20 10:31 p.m.

A bucket list item of mine is learning to play the bass. I've got a good musical background, so the musical knowledge part doesn't scare me. 

Recommend me a good bass to start out with? I have no idea on good stuff, what I'll need, or anything else. I don't want to drop a bunch of cash on a Fender or the like; just need a setup to learn the instrument with. What's out there?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/2/20 10:35 p.m.

Ha, we did an entire Zoom chat on this.

My recommendation: a used Mexican-made Fender P-bass or Jazz Bass. Figure $300-$400. That will get you a solid instrument that you won't have to fight. 

I have a Mexican-made P-bass. It's about 20 years old. Stays in tune, no fret buzz, no issues. It's rock-solid. 

David S. Wallens
5/2/20 10:40 p.m.

And here's a pic. Also, yes, get a bass. You'll have fun. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/3/20 12:44 a.m.

There's a lot of options. Personally I like short scales and the Epiphone EB-0  is a favorite of mine and my dads

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/3/20 5:52 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Any specific genre(s)? 

In General, even a cheap Fender will be a good place to start as long as it's either already been setup properly, or you can find a local shop/luthier to do the job. Though if you're a metal guy you may want to look for a 5-string.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
5/3/20 5:57 a.m.

I'm in the same boat and I built a Jazz Bass kit because I like to make things. A kit is a great way to learn about the parts of a bass and how they all work together to make a musical instrument. It's also a good way to overcome fear of berking it up. Truss rod needs adjustment? Adjust it. Intonation off? Fix it. Action too high? Lower it. Hums loudly? Shield it. Make it yours.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/3/20 6:07 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And here's a pic. Also, yes, get a bass. You'll have fun. 

That looks just like the one I used to plink on.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
5/3/20 7:25 a.m.

Yes we did David!  Thanks for that session.  

I’m still looking and still a bit nervous on purchases of used stuff due to the virus.  Stores closed here for a few more weeks too.  

preach
preach Reader
5/3/20 7:43 a.m.

I picked up a Squire Pbass and practice amp for $60 last year on Craigslist. It plays fine, but not as fine as my original 1970 Pbass.

David S. Wallens
5/3/20 8:27 a.m.

Sweetwater has a P-bass demo for $629: black w/maple neck looks so perfect. Figure this would have someone playing right away--no setup, no fab, no problem-solving. 

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/3/20 9:14 a.m.

David's first suggestion is a good one, can't go wrong with a solid basic Fender.

If you want something a little different, I am a fan of the Ibanez SR basses.  Thinner neck, and more electronic features like a bass boost eq knob.  I had one with a big fat active single pickup and my brother has one with active pickups and some sort of a composite body.  It's super light.  Both were on the cheaper end of the model range and still really nicely made.

Like this one.

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
5/3/20 9:48 a.m.

Don't need a five string. Mainly gonna play blues and classic rock bass lines. Also, Steve Harris only needs four strings, and Iron Maiden is one of the best bands ever, soooo....

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
5/3/20 10:07 a.m.

My first choice would be a Mexican P bass. If I couldn't find one for a good price my second choice would be a Squier "vintage modified" P bass. 
There is a reason that all the bass hero's use fender stuff. It's great at almost everything. And with the entry level stuff being so good these days it's hard to go wrong. 
If you play guitar already you may want to go try a few different things out and see what fees best to you. 
I'm a fan of Cort, especially the higher end stuff. It's not for everyone but I like it. 

The other thing to consider is so much of the sound/tone comes from the amp. For a beginner this part is less important but still matters. Again, I'd recommend Fender. The little Rumble series stuff is great for the money. A couple years ago a bought a new Squier VM and new Rumble 40 and walked out of the store under $500. Used stuff is even cheaper. That was an awesome combo. 9.5/10 just because I always want more power. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/3/20 10:08 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Then definitely find a Fender P or J bass(or P-J bass) within yourself budget & rock. 

David S. Wallens
5/3/20 10:12 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Ditto for Geddy. 

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/3/20 10:16 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

+1, I love my little Fender Rumble!

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
5/3/20 12:50 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Recon1342 :

Ditto for Geddy. 

Jazz bass here because Geddy. I'm not planning/expecting to do any more than plonk on my J-bass but if it's good enough for Geddy... 

David S. Wallens
5/3/20 1:10 p.m.

A few years ago I lucked into a Geddy Lee signature model--Japanese made from 2007.  While I have more Jazz basses than P-basses, I think I prefer the P-basses. I know, in some places those be fighting words. But a lot to love either way. 

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
5/3/20 5:39 p.m.

I think the answer is a akin to Miata- P or J bass.

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
5/3/20 6:03 p.m.
dxman92 said:

I think the answer is a akin to Miata- P or J bass.

More bass Is Always The Answer???

looking closely at the Ibanez offerings, particularly the Talman TMB 100 in tri-fade... 

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/tmb100_1p_04.html

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
5/6/20 8:46 p.m.

Still looking at Bass guitars. What exactly is the difference between a P-Bass and a J-Bass?

Also, solid state amp? Tube amp? Both? 

I has the confused...

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/6/20 8:52 p.m.

J bass or jazz bass...has dual pickups, thinner neck profile. Has a wide range of sound capabilities but is kind of focused on higher tones.

P-bass or precision bass...single set of pickups, thicker neck profile, is kore of a big, fat, thick bottom end. Think 70s southern rock. 

This is a '78 P-Bass:

There is also a p-j crossover that uses a jazz bass neck pickup and a pbass bridge pickup. Just to confuse the issue.

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
5/6/20 9:12 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

Still looking at Bass guitars. What exactly is the difference between a P-Bass and a J-Bass?

Also, solid state amp? Tube amp? Both? 

I has the confused...

J stands for jazz and P is for precision. Js are a little smoother and warmer sounding. Ps punch harder and have more clarity. I've had both and would recommend both. The other option is a hybrid PJ. A bit of the best of both. 

Amps are tricky. I've yet to find a solid state amp that can match a tube amp for tone when you start to push them. That said, tube stuff is expensive, heavy, requires some maintenance and care and also LOUD. W for W you'd be shocked at the difference in output. For learning though and for practice the modern solid state stuff (class D) is great for bass. You'll get much more amp for the money (features and bells) and it'll be way better for a beginner to get something solid state in the 20-50w range. Again, the Fender Rumble series is fantastic. 

David S. Wallens
5/6/20 9:54 p.m.

FWIW, I'm seeing some friends tour with little class D solid state amps. Why? Weight: close to 100 pounds for a classic SVT head vs. <10 for a class D. (Of course, says the guy currently playing through a vintage Univox tube amp.) A while back I had a little solid state Ampeg. It sounded good. 

As far as Jazz vs. Precision, try both. I feel more comfortable with my P-basses, but that could just be me. And by "comfortable," I just mean how it sits on my leg when sitting down. Also, less pickups to get in the way. I go back and forth between both, though. 

Also, consider this: P-bass Bass is good enough for Steve Harris, Jazz Bass is good enough for Geddy. So, really, no wrong answer. Maybe a better analogy is Mustang v. Camaro. 

Biggest thing is just getting a guitar and playing. Make your own tone. 

David S. Wallens
5/6/20 9:59 p.m.

And this video is inspiring: In 1988 Tom Morello found an amp tone and said that's my tone--no more fussing and I will write songs with that tone. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hmDl727MV4xNDzeCNdqMGbJV283KnanvpiqOLV3ODMEBRmyuNsRFrdtCxoM31Xxy