mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/20/13 9:44 p.m.

Problem with PBR is that the damn hipsters started drinking it.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
4/21/13 1:17 a.m.
mtn wrote: A Goose Island Matilda, bottled in November. It was a really, really good beer. Tasted good, not boozey, apple, banana, orange, pear(?), but unfortunately, wheat. I just do not like wheat beers. I don't like fruity beers, but that part worked on this one--it was the wheat taste that came through that I just cannot convince my pallet to like. Oh well.

That taste is not wheat. That taste is common to wheat beers, but is not wheat. That taste is imparted by the yeast and is most common in Bavarian style Hefeweizen (banana, clove, bubblegum). Wheat by itself lends a very mild flavor and a lot of body and head (high protein). Belgian yeast strains also frequently produce those flavors, but not to the degree of Bavarian Weizenbier strains.

As for the awesomeness of Goose Island... InBev bought them up about a year ago. They have changed the company significantly. The original brewery is still in operation, but I understand is only brewing a limited amount of specialty beers. The flagships (e.g. Honkers Ale) are being brewed at larger ABInBev facilities. Word is, InBev has significantly changed a number of the recipes. I do not know if Matilda is still done at the original brewery with the original recipe.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
5/7/13 9:43 p.m.

I just had one of the Full Boar Scotch Ales by Devil's Canyon Brewery.

It was dark, sweet, very malty and was the perfect compliment for my Pastrami and horeseradish sandwich.

I ordered a second one when I was done. Delicious.

http://www.devilscanyonbrewery.com/about/full-boar-scotch-ale/

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
11/25/13 12:40 p.m.

Not much movement in this thread lately.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
11/25/13 12:47 p.m.

Had a big can of Saranac Legacy IPA last weekend. I like it. I'd rate it a 4 out of 5, which puts it up there with some of my favorites. Nothing earth shattering, just good.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/25/13 1:38 p.m.

I absolutely love Abita Beer Save Our Shores. Awesome beer.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
12/10/13 3:54 p.m.

There is a list of the 9 brands of beer losing market share:

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2013/12/09/nine-beers-americans-no-longer-drink-2/2/

t25torx
t25torx Reader
12/10/13 8:13 p.m.

So the Shipyard Pumpkinhead beer is awesome. The Applehead on the other hand just tastes like seltzer water with a little apple flavor, I do not recommend. In the Sam Adams seasonal winter pack, the Chocolate Cherry Bock is disgusting, tastes like cherry cough syrup. i was hoping for more chocolate flavor, but it was not to be.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
12/31/13 11:48 a.m.

Been drinking a lot of Liene's Octoberfest lately. Pretty good, nothing to write home about, but easy drinking and tasty enough.

Also been getting Radeberger Pilsner at Costco. Not a great beer, but a decent one, and it is a good value IMHO when purchased at Costco.

Over break, I had Okocim (O.K. BEER) for the very first time. This might be my new favorite beer, period, upsetting Zywiec's Lager (not the Porter, though I understand that is a lager as well). Currently emailing area liquor stores trying to find a place that can get me a case of it.

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
12/31/13 12:58 p.m.

Last beer I had was Yuengling Lord Chesterfield Ale. You could consider it to be a weak pale ale. It tasted good and was good wash down for spaghetti. Probably will go with a case of it once my current beer stash dries up.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
12/31/13 1:28 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote:
mtn wrote: A Goose Island Matilda, bottled in November. It was a really, really good beer. Tasted good, not boozey, apple, banana, orange, pear(?), but unfortunately, wheat. I just do not like wheat beers. I don't like fruity beers, but that part worked on this one--it was the wheat taste that came through that I just cannot convince my pallet to like. Oh well.
That taste is not wheat. That taste is common to wheat beers, but is not wheat. That taste is imparted by the yeast and is most common in Bavarian style Hefeweizen (banana, clove, bubblegum). Yeast by itself lends a very mild flavor and a lot of body and head (high protein). Belgian yeast strains also frequently produce those flavors, but not to the degree of Bavarian Weizenbier strains. As for the awesomeness of Goose Island... InBev bought them up about a year ago. They have changed the company significantly. The original brewery is still in operation, but I understand is only brewing a limited amount of specialty beers. The flagships (e.g. Honkers Ale) are being brewed at larger ABInBev facilities. Word is, InBev has significantly changed a number of the recipes. I do not know if Matilda is still done at the original brewery with the original recipe.

Probably explains why I wasn't that impressed with what I had at the Chicago airport a few weeks ago.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger SuperDork
12/31/13 3:10 p.m.

I wasn't all that impressed with the goose island beers that were available here about 10-15 years ago. The stout in particular was watery thin, had a generic roasted flavor I associate with chicory and the worst part was the carbonation was exactly like a fountain cola. Very large bubbles, probably due to the pronounced lack of any viscosity or body. All the other goose island varieties were equally bleh. It was on the shelves here for about 6 months then disappeared. I have noticed the name on six packs in coolers since the inbev buyout but never thought of giving it anothrr shot.

It really made me appreciate the local Oregon brews we have.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
1/1/14 7:52 a.m.

I drank a DragonMead Under-the-Kilt. quite good if you enjoy wee heavy's.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2085/6685/

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
1/1/14 5:22 p.m.

If you can find it, Westbrook/Charleston Beer Exchange's collaboration "Citrus Ninja Exchange" is berkeleying bawler. It's the beer that made Mrs. Poop finally "get" IPA's a year or two ago. Needless to say, I bought ALL OF IT when I found it at my local spot.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
1/17/14 10:51 a.m.

Great Lakes Brewing: Dortmunder Gold

This is the first Ohio beer I've tried that really impressed the hell out of me. This is a damned fine beer in a traditional German style that is easily the equal or better of anything comparable I had in Germany. Balanced and quaffable with a nice bisquity, nutty malt profile and just the right amount of earthy, herbal hops to balance the whole thing out.

I have become more and more fond of relatively lighter or simpler beers that pack the most clean flavor into them, and this does that wonderfully. It is up there with Dead Guy. Which of those two is better probably depends on where you are in the country. In OH, I'll drink Dortmunder Gold as the fresh option.

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
1/17/14 10:54 a.m.

I used to work for a company whose headquarters was out near Cleveland and all of the field reps would come out for meetings once a year. Whenever the group went out to eat, Great Lakes was always on the menu. There is a fantastic Great Lakes pub right in Cleveland Airport as well. Dortmunder Gold is stellar to say the least.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/17/14 12:41 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: It is up there with Dead Guy.

This has become a go-to beer for me.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
1/17/14 12:49 p.m.

Just had some Great Divide beers, I really liked the Titan IPA. Yes, it's a highly hopped IPA which is an American staple in microbrews, but I thought it had an amazing amount of flavor beyond just the hoppiness. Given, I love hops, so I'd be okay with the simple "smack me in the tongue with hops" approach, but this thing was good even beyond that.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
1/17/14 1:42 p.m.

I'm a big fan of Green Flash IPA from Great Divide.

I recently had some Trois Pistoles by Unibroue. Dark. Lots of body. Had a lot of traits I'd expect from a winter warmer in terms of spices. Definitely will be tracking down some more.

I used a phone app Untappd to track what beers I try and to rate them. My goal is 200 new beers per year. 2013 I had 206 new beers. It gets harder to find new beers as I go, but it's worth the hunt.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
2/22/14 12:22 a.m.

Delirium tremens, very tasty

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
3/16/14 2:22 p.m.

Found this thread via der google. Couldn't filter adequately with the GRM search. All I got was threads by that Beer Baron fellow.

I discovered Starr Hill Brewery, a somewhat local brewer in Crozet, VA. Their "Pyscho Kilter--Wee Heavy Ale" Scottish style heavy ale kicks butt. Nice and smooth, with a knockout punch. Seriously, I drink one of these and I get silly. I think I'm going to go put on a skirt and learn to play the bagpipes.

Burrito Enthusiast
Burrito Enthusiast Reader
3/16/14 2:48 p.m.

This has been my jam all weekend long. Can't get enough.

I hate it when I fall in love with a Seasonal Ale...

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
3/16/14 3:14 p.m.

Since the beer thread has come to the top...

With this being St. Patrick's day season, corned beef is on sale so today I made one. A favorite recipe is to put a rinsed corned beef into a crock pot, cover with a bottle of Guinness and come back 6 hours later. I will often use whatever flavorful beer I might have in the house.
Today, that was Oskar Blues TenFidy Imperial Stout!

Bakery fresh seeded rye bread, havatri cheese and stone ground mustard created a most wonderful sandwich.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/2/14 10:54 p.m.

Bump for Nixon.

Richard Nixon
Richard Nixon SuperDork
5/2/14 10:58 p.m.

OK, Rueuze by The Bruery is certainly one of the most interesting tasting beers I've had in a long while. I urge you all to try it.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16866/86970/?ba=FosterJM

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yq2sjkpLf7t78xnhkpKqG37FHJusIhizKBLTlqB5g41ssiKoZCKJ3v9QHQMRoAoy