NickD
NickD UltimaDork
6/22/20 11:36 a.m.

So, our club photographer took this photo of my friend Josh (left) and I (right) at the recent autocross test n tune. This is us not paying attention to the driver's meeting, because we've heard it 3 billion times. And yes, my friend Josh was autocrossing the Ram SS/T

The photographer sent it with this caption: "Who is that masked man? Its the mayor of Truckville and his deputy."

Mine was "We have to set FTD at this autocross or we're losing the shop", riffing on the Discovery "reality" car TV shows

What do you guys got?

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/22/20 11:51 a.m.

The Duke boys have the cleanest Ram truck in town, but even they couldn't keep all the body panels a single color as touches of primer grey striping shown through the hood.

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/22/20 11:51 a.m.

Some say ... their masks meet Snell 2020.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports Reader
6/22/20 11:53 a.m.

Fresh back from the local chili challenge the Burke brothers still can't stand the smell of each other.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/22/20 11:55 a.m.

Merica! berkeley Yeah! 

Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/22/20 11:59 a.m.

Show us to your buffet, and no one gets hurt.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/22/20 12:02 p.m.

If you can't mask it, dodge it. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
6/22/20 12:04 p.m.

It's worth noting that Josh is the same guy that autocrossed a lowered 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited last year, and when he told me he had retired the ZJ for "Something more suitable", a Ram SS/T was nowheres even on my radar. He ended up parking it partway through the day because he said it felt like the whole front end of the truck was shifting back and forth, then discovered that the cab mounts were wasted and the cab was sliding back and forth a good 1/4" through the slaloms.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/22/20 12:04 p.m.
NickD said:

It's worth noting that Josh is the same guy that autocrossed a lowered 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited last year, and when he told me he had retired the ZJ for "Something more suitable", a Ram SS/T was nowheres even on my radar. He ended up parking it partway through the day because he said it felt like the whole front end of the truck was shifting back and forth, then discovered that the cab mounts were wasted and the cab was sliding back and forth a good 1/4" through the slaloms.

That's horrifying. Also, I like your friend. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
6/22/20 12:15 p.m.

Having been recently beaten by a Miata these boys in the V8 truck chose to hide their identities.  

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
6/22/20 12:15 p.m.
Mndsm said:
NickD said:

That's horrifying. Also, I like your friend. 

Before the Jeep, he managed to win the STS class a few times with an automatic '03 Maxima with 260k miles that he got from his grandmother and installed the most hilariously loud exhaust known to man. He made it win through sheer force of effort. We named it Mad Maxima. 

When I heard he retired the Jeep, I figured he was going to race either the free, title-less AW11 MR2 he picked up last fall, or the engine-less Mercury Capri that he was pestering me about the 1.6L out of my Miata for. And then he shows up in a Ram.

He also had a lowered 4x4 '2016 Ram 1500 at one point, the only lowered 4x4 truck I think I've ever seen. His logic: "Even lowered it has more ground clearance than a lot of the vehicles, and now it's a lot more fun to drive."

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) MegaDork
6/22/20 12:17 p.m.

Can't hit a cone that fits under the truck!

Moments later, Jeff's Ford shirt burst into flames mdue to prolonged contact with a Dodge.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
6/22/20 12:35 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) said:

Can't hit a cone that fits under the truck!

Moments later, Jeff's Ford shirt burst into flames mdue to prolonged contact with a Dodge.

There is a certain irony to the fact that I'm wearing a shirt with a Dodge Demon on it and autocrossing the Miata, while he is wearing the shirt that has the word Ford on it and is racing the Dodge.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/22/20 1:04 p.m.

New York - the rest of the state isn't NYC. We promise. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
6/22/20 5:16 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

QFT

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/22/20 5:30 p.m.

"We're on a mission from Dodge."

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
6/23/20 6:58 a.m.

On my Facebook post, Duke's comment was ""...and we only have 48 hours to go from this smoking hulk to a regionally-dominating vehicle." Also playing off the Discovery show host vibes that the photo gives off.

jharry3
jharry3 HalfDork
6/23/20 7:00 a.m.

Why am I driving this red truck when the blue car in the background is the answer?

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
6/23/20 7:09 a.m.
jharry3 said:

Why am I driving this red truck when the blue car in the background is the answer?

Funny enough, in the afternoon he parked the Ram and jumped in the Miata as my co-driver.

Empty the safe and nobody gets hurt. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/23/20 8:08 a.m.

Looks like loading screen from Grand Theft Auto.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/23/20 8:12 a.m.

Yes.  Those guys would fit in pretty well down south.  Better than I do anyway.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
6/23/20 10:22 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Yeah, Central New York is like the South of the North, but with better pizza.

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
6/23/20 10:41 a.m.
NickD said:
ProDarwin said:

Yeah, Central New York is like the South of the North, but with better pizza.

...And delicious Spiedie. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/23/20 11:08 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

I sold an engine to a guy once who came to get it in a lowered LWB 88-89 chevy truck with a 472 cadillac engine.  It said z71 on the bed and asked if he swapped beds and never took the decals off.  Nope, it was a 4x4 that was the height of a 4/6 dropped 2wd.  So probably closer to 6/8 to 7/9 dropped.  It was awesome 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EPNfHDoOmQYCYoZWjtDpuXu144JnuG54beraOeHmkdezak4wXQWsUWkgYUHTsNgT