1 2 3
Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/11/20 6:02 p.m.

Time for the next round and we all agreed to finish things. If somebody wants to take over hosting and prizes, feel free to. Or we can just chill out for a month and post progress.

Anyways, dig out your unfinished projects and see what happens.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/11/20 8:49 p.m.

But all of my projects are unfinished cause I have nothing started. Too many choices now. Perhaps now is the time to do that Bond Riviera.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/11/20 9:18 p.m.

My September build is a GunzeSangyo Fiat Abarth 1000TCR that I started around 1997. It is typically Gunze in that much of it is really accurate, but then there are some goofy parts. The radiator cover/bumper was 4 inches too long, and some of the exhaust parts are too large in diameter. I am going to "street" it but based on a photo of a yellow one at an HSR event in Daytona. No sponsor logos or numbers, but with the Italian flag on the roof. I need to make interior panels, pedals, roll bar, and upgrade the seats.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
9/11/20 11:42 p.m.

I have any number of projects that would fit the bill, but I really need to finish this Mustang I promised to build for someone.

Someone come over here and help me buff out this orange peel, please.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/12/20 5:40 a.m.

I'll have to watch from the sidelines this time as I've got nothing. I have a new 1:1 motorcycle project arriving next week so I'd be distracted by that anyway. Count me in for October though.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/12/20 5:41 a.m.

Looks like I'll only have time to try to finish the project I started a couple of weeks ago: Hasegawa Porsche 962C as Al Holbert's 1985 Lowenbrau car.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/12/20 1:01 p.m.

In reply to BenB (Forum Supporter) :

Would it be possible to adapt in the Tamiya drive train and suspension detail to this?

BenB (Forum Supporter)
9/12/20 5:17 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

Would it be possible to adapt in the Tamiya drive train and suspension detail to this?

I'm not familiar with the Tamiya kit, but I guess it would be possible with enough Dremeling and puttying. The Hasegawa kit is a simple curbside kit, so there's plenty of room inside for engine and suspension details.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/13/20 5:57 p.m.

I used to watch Holbert dominate at Watkins Glen. We were all Ford fans during the GTP heydays and would root for ABP=Anybody But Porsche.

Holbert was a master. I was truly saddened by his passing from a plane crash.

solfly
solfly Dork
9/13/20 6:33 p.m.

I've got a 1960 Chevy pickup I started probably in 1999-2000. All painted but no detail. Some of it glued up.

solfly
solfly Dork
9/13/20 6:34 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

If you're hosting/making the rules for October could we go over that early so we have time to prepare?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/13/20 10:04 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

A while ago somebody said something about October being "GRM Challenge" cars....And I have one of these on my shelf with a small hand full of parts stolen out. Maybe not official class rules though.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
9/14/20 8:43 a.m.

I'm in! 
Have been messing with this Super Coupe between other builds, and life in general.

Finished up most of the chassis last night:

interior flocked:

engine:

solfly
solfly Dork
9/14/20 12:40 p.m.

wow! awesome level of details there.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/14/20 3:49 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

This is looking great. What did you use for exhaust paint? The color looks perfect.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
9/14/20 4:32 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Thanks! Sprayed a silver base with thinned smoke, and very thinned copper over it. It's my first attempt at weathering! 

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
9/14/20 7:31 p.m.

I am finishing up this 1/43 FDS kit. The casting was really rough, and it took many rounds of filler, sanding, primer to get it to a workable state. I hope it turns out ok. The decals not yellowed but are stiff, so I am hoping I can lay them down with some hot water. The kit is completely white metal other than the wheel rims. The cast engine has great details at least!

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/14/20 7:37 p.m.

What decals are you using? I have an old set from Fred Cady that are a bit crude. If I ever get to build it I'd like to find better.  I was a big fan of his as well.

Im going to try and finish the Pontiac I was doing last month. I'm trying to make decals for Dick McCabe's Busch North car and they didn't go well, then life got really busy. 

BenB (Forum Supporter)
9/14/20 8:37 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

I'm using decals from Indycals (LINK) and the conversion is from The Model Car Channel Store (LINK). If you're not familiar with them, Indycals has tons of decals for Indy cars and sports cars. They're printed on demand using some kind of laser printer that can print white. The IMSA conversion for the 962 comes in several different versions, with different air intakes on the top.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
9/15/20 7:47 a.m.

I’ve though about clearing out my 1/24 stuff and starting to build all 1/43 stuff for ease of display.... but it’s not any cheaper, lol. They do have a lot of cool subject matter out there though!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/15/20 9:27 a.m.

I mentioned in my previous post about wanting to upgrade the seats in the Abarth. Looking through the stash I saw what I wanted in the Hasegawa Lancia delta rally car kit. I did not wish to make that kit less than complete, so I pulled a mold and copied them in urethane resin. Photo shows the original painted glossy black, the two pieces of the mold, and the first two results. Number 1 has a few air bubbles, but #2 came out super.

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
9/15/20 10:12 a.m.
Saron81 said:

I’ve though about clearing out my 1/24 stuff and starting to build all 1/43 stuff for ease of display.... but it’s not any cheaper, lol. They do have a lot of cool subject matter out there though!

Yeah that is part of why I started building them. You run out of room for 1/24 cars pretty quick!

Zack

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/15/20 12:30 p.m.

In reply to ZackM :

This is the reason they are so much more popular in Europe. Smaller living quarters means smaller models....

solfly
solfly Dork
9/16/20 1:15 p.m.

been slacking so far...

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/16/20 7:04 p.m.
solfly said:

been slacking so far...

Same. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.