1 2 3 4 5
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/21/20 7:13 p.m.

Cut rate kit? Like from AMT? Haha!

9/21/20 7:19 p.m.

Okay. So we got primer. Since it's rust-oleum I have to wait three days to gas out before any painting is done. So I won't be done. Isn't that the opposite of this build theme?

A shame the underneath sucks cause that's one good looking car. (I'm biased. I think virtually all the Bill Mitchell cars are)

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/21/20 9:04 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

And you are correct, Bill Mitchell's cars are all pretty.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/21/20 10:02 p.m.

This one will be done he says confidentlycheeky

Still need a coil wire and a dab of paint on the coil bracket, but otherwise the engine room is done. Oh Gunze....They give the nice header tank but no where on the instructions is it shown...They don't give a coil, that one is from the parts box. The panel under the rear window is 3/16" from meeting the body, you can look into the engine room from the interior, gotta do something about that. No interior door handles or window cranks either, parts box here we come again. No room for air filters either, but that is not Gunze's fault! On the plus side is the great little fuel filter, and photo etch wiper arms/blades.

solfly
solfly Dork
9/22/20 6:34 p.m.

solfly
solfly Dork
9/22/20 6:37 p.m.

Made some progress. I was definitely in a hurry when I started this one 20 years ago. Should look good on a shelf just dont pick it up and look close. Hopefully will get it done by deadline.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/23/20 6:39 a.m.

I owned a 1:1 version of those. Your model isn't accurate because the front fenders aren't rotted away at the back and I should be able to smell the accumulated cow poop stuck to the underside through the internet. Oh, and if it's a 292 the rear main seal will be leaking profusely despite being replaced.

solfly
solfly Dork
9/23/20 8:14 a.m.

Maybe I can add some of that ha ha

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
9/23/20 11:34 p.m.

If scientific progress goes boink, then model building progress goes chug. Like a train. It takes a while to get going but when you get moving you can really move. Or something.

Just posting some crappy photos here to remind myself to keep the train rolling. Window trim is fun.

Chipping away at the inside roof paint, which I don't always bother with, but since this model has nice glass pieces that go in from the outside, the roof is free of obstruction and so I figure it deserves to look at least sort of like the real car. This still needs touched up in spots.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/24/20 5:11 a.m.

I finally made some progress. I got the area under the duct painted, so I could glue it to the body and then I broke out the Dremel and removed the passenger seat, since IMSA cars didn't have them. Things should move a little faster, once I fill the hole with styrene. The interior is simple and the body will be all white. 

9/24/20 9:06 p.m.

Progress?

Have I mentioned how much I hate these molded chassis?

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
9/24/20 10:23 p.m.

Oh man that's some weird-shaped exhaust! But fairly accurate, unless you're building a GS, apparently. My curiosity got the better of me and I had to look it up. https://forums.aaca.org/topic/178870-1965-riviera-gs-exhaust-vs-standard-riv/

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/25/20 6:46 a.m.

Yeah, those suck. You're doing good with it though. I'd have painted the gas tank silver or steel. It also helps if you pick out the bolt heads with a bit of silver. My chrome silver Sharpie is my new favorite tool.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/25/20 3:27 p.m.

I thought the Abarth was done....Then I took these photos, and see several places that need minor paint touch-ups. Condition normal! Kit review: It is a good starting point for an OK curbside, but like vwcorvette's Riviera you do not want to examine the bottom. I added interior panels, door handles, window cranks, pedals,roll bar, signal stalk, and seat belts as well as rectifying the panel under the rear window and replacing the seats. Original seats were accurate, just as awful as full size. Engine room got a coil, HT wires, fuel plumbing, header tank hose, and stainless wire lid supports. The steering tie rod was molded incomplete, the radiator screen was molded into the bumper, and the original exhaust tail pipe was oversized diameter. Kit wheels were an OK 12" with un detailed slicks. I used 13" Fuchs from Scale Productions that look much like the sub 9 lb. Campagnolos all real Fiat owners lust after.

solfly
solfly Dork
9/26/20 6:32 p.m.

9/26/20 7:53 p.m.
ddavidv said:

Yeah, those suck. You're doing good with it though. I'd have painted the gas tank silver or steel. It also helps if you pick out the bolt heads with a bit of silver. My chrome silver Sharpie is my new favorite tool.

I could detail the bottom more, but to be honest I just want to work on the interior and body at this point.

Going for blue leather with wood inserts and aluminum/stainless trim on the inside. Graphite gray metallic for the exterior.

9/26/20 8:40 p.m.

Had to manipulate the photo to give a better sense of color. Camera on my tablet note as good as my phone. This is close. Won't be done by deadline though. Teaching remote and hybrid and in person is taxing my "me" time.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/26/20 9:14 p.m.

That is going to be real pretty.

9/26/20 10:04 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

That is going to be real pretty.

That's what I'm hoping.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
9/27/20 8:16 a.m.

Dig the color vw! 
im hoping to get gone today.... but we will see.

Interior done:

Flocking for the carpets, and instrument cluster lens added. Hard to capture, sorry...

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/27/20 1:16 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

Instrument cluster deserves a better photo for sure. I love the flocked carpet too.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
9/27/20 7:07 p.m.

Headlights and other exterior bits left to put on. I'm still annoyed with the paint and now that I've taken the body off and put it on about 10 times, there's a few edge spots that need touched up as well. And a spot right above the tail light bezel where some errant glue took off the paint. And the wheels are still slightly wobbly. Ugh.

9/27/20 7:58 p.m.
slowbird said:

Headlights and other exterior bits left to put on. I'm still annoyed with the paint and now that I've taken the body off and put it on about 10 times, there's a few edge spots that need touched up as well. And a spot right above the tail light bezel where some errant glue took off the paint. And the wheels are still slightly wobbly. Ugh.

Nice!

9/27/20 9:09 p.m.

Engine with Latham Supercharger and side draft webers (from alternate kit). Engine color too dark. Oh yeah, if I had read the instructions I would have noticed it said not to put charger manifold on until after engine was in chassis and in the body. This should be interesting.

9/27/20 9:13 p.m.

Are there any issues with mixing and matching Tamiya acrylics and Testors enamels? Can one go over the other? (Not mixed together, btw.)

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nIleAdduHDKuXdxqiOkRntgySUKbTD3lDFpdHpzq3Ga7DbfbHLyPWNZI5BTH7fWN