11 12 13
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/25/19 9:49 a.m.

Arriving yesterday from Wayneboro, PA

I think those are Miata rear flaps.  My '90 Miata has the same.  The car is not here to compare (winter storage) but I hope they are because I have one that is broken.  

A very cool toy helicopter.

An MP3 player.  I wonder what is on it, I'll put fresh batteries in and see. 

Funny on the speaker, I gave away a Black Blackberry logoed version in the GRM box a few years ago.

A walking pedometer.

Safety glasses...safety is good!

More small zip ties.  It is good to have some back-up stock in this size.  I depleted much of my stock in this size over the summer "restoring" a Mercury Milan.  

It appears that I have been very bad and as such blessed with genuine PA coal.  Continuing the theme, genuine Goethite from PA.  Add to that what looks to be a self melted ingot of aluminum (pretty cool.)  

​​Additional bonuses, Barkeepers Friend, some stickers and a clutch fluid reservoir.  Lastly, some hammers disguised as brushes. 

Thanks Chris!

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
1/25/19 9:55 a.m.
John Welsh said:

I wouldn't eat that muffin...

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Reader
1/25/19 11:23 a.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

Hope you enjoy the brews and glad you figured the coozies out. Spotted Cow is a regional legend and only available in Wisconsin, I usually bring some whenever I'm traveling out of state as it can be a useful bartering tool or a way to make new friends.  No promises on the insulation properties of the coozies but I got a little carried away with making a containment vessel that would be sure not to leak and figured I'd try and make them look cool too.  Could you post a couple pictures of those coozies up?  I neglected to get any photos of those after I finally had a successful print on those and I was kinda kicking myself after I sent the box since those were 40hrs of printing each.

The Milwaukee and Empire tools are extras I had floating around on my desk at work.

The turbo parts are stuff leftover from my DSM parts bin. Hope you can come up with something to use it on.  

-Synapse 44mm wastegate, extra spring of unknown value and another flange

-HX35 Compressor wheel that got chewed up from bearing wear

-4G63 Piston and rod with an exploded ringland

The 3d printed engine block was done a couple years ago on my first printer.  I figured someone with a V8 needed an LS swap for the desk.  That block is an LS3 block I simplified for printing and scaled so that LS spark plugs would fit perfectly.  Like so:

I had no idea about the S30 you had before but I did stalk enough to see you were a fan of the VW Caddy. I had to include the VW and who doesn't like a nice S30?

The button batteries are the ones my digital calipers use which always seem to be dead right when you need them the most.  And the rest of the stuff was the finest junk I had laying around in my printer room or garage.

And Ryan/Ron same difference. No worries.

glueguy
glueguy Dork
1/25/19 7:46 p.m.

Oh man, GRM needs to transform the bladed fan into the Challenge most spectacular failure award.  Or maybe creative engineering award.

I’m glad I sent the box cutters last year. That was the most awesome use of a gift ever. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
1/28/19 5:44 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I was the lucky recipient of said BlackBerry speaker.  I have used it; holds a charge and works pretty well.  Not quite as good a sound as my other, $13 external bluetooth speaker, but it is more compact and was infinitely cheaper.  laugh

Woody
Woody MegaDork
1/28/19 5:12 p.m.
Woody said:

Postal Inspector has noted the arrival of a highly suspicious package...

Unboxification may have to wait wait until some time this weekend.  

Please bear with me as I try to add photos from my phone and then add details from my laptop...

Sorry about the bent photos. Details to come ASAP....

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill PowerDork
1/29/19 1:50 a.m.

And just like that, we're down to the single digits (This is my sad part of the game)

By my spreadsheets it's looking like everyone has received their gift.  If this is incorrect please PM me so we can get something worked out to rectify the situation.

We do have a few people still on the road, or recovering from the holiday season so if you haven't seen your gift posted here I'm sure it's on its way.

Cheers guys, and thanks for playing!

And Clockwork?  I've spent way more time than I should have looking at your fan.  I honestly cant say for sure whether or not I would just HAVE to turn that thing on...   It's like the red button that says "Do not push".  You know it's a bad idea, but that doesn't mean it isn't going to be awesome while it happens. 

I think having typed the above I can safely say that, were I to create such a device, it's operation would almost certainly end in disaster (as I couldnt possibly stop until an incident report was required or nearly missed)

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
1/29/19 6:33 a.m.

So is anyone else getting as geeked out seeing things they've sent out appearing in other people's boxes?Maybe that's the wrong term.

But seeing things I sent out last year and the year before scattering their way across the forum is almost as much fun as getting a mystery box delivered. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
1/29/19 7:32 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

i think it's pretty funny that there are some things that will be regifted for as long as this tradition goes on.  and i hope none of my gifters get offended when they see something they sent me also appear in someone else's photos.  ;-)

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
1/29/19 9:04 a.m.

This is long overdue but here goes:

Box

Box open:

Lots of stickers:

My favorite is the I ❤️Meth one but the wife has said not to put it anyplace conspicuous  

The bags went in the trunk.  

Someone had a good time at PRI.  

The candy disappeared quickly, my daughter grabbed the face stuff and my middle son absconded with the pen and note pad. 

Lots of cool stuff, thanks Santa and a big thank you to Bill for doing this again. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
1/29/19 9:14 a.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

Now to find that condom before my kids go digging through the sticker bags.  I thought i put it in the box.    One of the vendors at PRI was handing out prophylactics with their company name on the wrappers and i grabbed one to stuff in the box.  Apparently it has not lived up to what I pegged it for and is still waiting to be stuck in someone’s box.  Maybe I will stick it in a box next year.  

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
1/29/19 9:27 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

your brand of humor may be too subtle for some, but i kinda doubt it.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
1/29/19 9:43 a.m.

In reply to minivan_racer :

You ended up being the victim of my trying to declutter my basement.   

The sign was  sent to me a few years ago and has been up in my garage but I figured it was time to pass it on. 

The coil and vacuum tube were from last year..

i got the military stuff from when my Unit moved buildings. A bunch of old training were in a box to be chucked so I grabbed it.   

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
1/29/19 9:51 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Did not find that particular item, want my address again? 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
1/29/19 10:26 a.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

That "I Heart Meth" sticker is awesome... I will definitely have to track one of those down if I ever end up using meth injection on any of my cars down the line, I'm sure it will get a lot of double-takes around here... 

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
1/29/19 12:02 p.m.
Aaron_King said:

In reply to minivan_racer :

The sign was  sent to me a few years ago and has been up in my garage but I figured it was time to pass it on. 

The coil and vacuum tube were from last year..

Seeing those items regifted made me smile smiley

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
1/29/19 1:49 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

In reply to Aaron_King :

That "I Heart Meth" sticker is awesome... I will definitely have to track one of those down if I ever end up using meth injection on any of my cars down the line, I'm sure it will get a lot of double-takes around here... 

I might have another one from PRI.  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
1/29/19 1:50 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to Patrick :

your brand of humor may be too subtle for some, but i kinda doubt it.

Dan is old he won’t know wtf is going on.  

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
1/30/19 5:22 p.m.

John Welsh, did you ever get your plan-B backup package? The tracking from USPS shows it delivered a week ago, but I see that your plan-A  package delivered too.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/30/19 5:23 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

Got it. 

Thanks much! I was about to write about it when #1 finally arrived  

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
2/5/19 1:18 p.m.

Alllllriiighty then!

my sincere apologies goes out to Kentucky for the massive delay in opening and posting about my box!   I was out of town for 2 months and just got a chance to breathe after returning a few days ago. 

So, with further ado,  here we go!

Love starting on a positive note....

Lookin good right off the bat   Might be a little large but we shall see!  Gotta represent   But the coolest part are these stickers!   I love them and might have to see about buying some from my secret Santa in the future!  

Oh yeah!  I don’t know that kids would even believe that those things used to be inserted into these machines that would extract music from the tape held within.  The large hook looks like a custom jobbie and I will doubtless be able to put it to use :)

I am not sure if the sticker is mph or *F or psi or iq or hours or lbs....

but I did get 2 of 4 air cleaner adapters! And a better look at the hook and it’s rusty cousin  

Next level looks promising and electrical...I’m guessing a large fuse block

But first!  From the perimeter I pulled several cool hot wheels cars (love the Delorean) and two ball joints.  At least I think they are.  I’ll figure it out.  Application and new/used are pressing questions.  The large staples might necessitate buying an appropriate staple gun  

Final level of the box gets even better!  Awesome stickers that I will wear with pride. A cable. I will at a minimum use the wire if not the plugs as well.   I will use the opener to help access my root beers.   The plastic cup piece puzzled me   It looks like it would sit in a receiving cup of some sort but I’m not sure....

i do love the socket set!  I think it might be absconded by my wife if she gets into wrenching at all    In fact, the pretty colors might just help cast a fairer light on garage activities!

the control panel....   not sure what that would be from.   Maybe I need to buy a car that’s missing it

Seen above is a box-within-a-box.  Here is the box. The case alone is awesome and needs to find a noble place and use in the shop:

I feel like I got two boxes!   Here are the contents of the ammo box:

The DeLorean badge is wicked. Many smaller trinkets that might just get put to use in one thing or another.   The led light is awesome and I will definitely use the etape.  But the stickon reflectors will go perfect on my trailer rehab project and the little jars of misc sockets and tools are fantastic as I already saw at least one that I was missing     I will follow up when I go through those in detail   

In in the meantime, many many thanks for both the fun experience and the gadgets that will all find new happy homes :)

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
2/12/19 8:27 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

Glad you enjoyed it! A few answers to what things are...

The staples are construction staples- last year we bought a good-sized hot tub dirt cheap that I set about refurbishing with the intent of it living out at the vacation cabin we're building (at a far slower pace than promised), and a large part of that refurb was replacing all of the wood framing under it. To my confusion I found that it was held together with MASSIVE staples, and also found that there wasn't really a good alternative to them to rebuild it, so I bought an appropriate stapler and a box of staples- which had like 1-2k staples in it. I'd only really recommend buying the stapler (they're like $400) if you have a specific purpose for it or do a lot of construction with wood as I have found after rebuilding the frame that it's good for stabilizing joints.

Both the control box and the mystery wire (IIRC) are from a 1989 K1500 truck I bought for the engine (the bottom end of it went into the El Camino I was building to take to the Challenge a few years ago but ended up selling to another GRMer) and parted out. 

The ball joints were the the ones that came in the LCA's I got for the Rampage- the ball joints weren't the right size for the steering knuckles for some reason so I had to press the old ones out and press in the right size ones. Don't unfortunately know what other application they'd have...

The ammo box was one of several different options I picked up as potential battery enclosures when I was looking at relocating the Rampage's battery- that one ended up being too small, but worked well to keep all the smaller things in the box from getting all over the place. :)

The DeLorean badge is the one from the front of the luggage compartment cover (most commonly called a hood, though that's inaccurate given it doesn't over the engine- the Brits would call it a bonnet...) of mine- new the lower (non-lettering) portion of it is painted black with the raised lettering raw metal, but over time the black tends to wear off. I've got a NOS replacement to put on mine once I get to all the work it needs, so figured the old one would be a fun thing to send.

Glad you liked the vinyl stickers too- the local Makerspace that I'm (for now) a member of has a vinyl cutter that I went through the training to use and have made fairly extensive use of over the last few years. 

11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bZ63bONd7uYrsG9Vu1PnTnqLUbEJgctvQtfrlWd6bO1FlUCEJMAfwxDGoecZmRmE