RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Reader
1/9/19 8:12 p.m.

Walked in the door after work and found this on the kitchen table. Must. Find. Knife.

Pop goes the weasel. We're in. Business Card front and center, I'm coming up short on you Screenname Jeremy.

Putty knife, random tension spring, plastic putty knife, bottle opener, what appears to be a hand fishing line?  Also some diecast racecars, thread files and a chinese Walbro carburetor?  

I didn't even know these were a thing but now after looking at them I can think of countless times where thread files would have been a savior.

Layer 2. Consists of two Team Rubicon Shirts. A large for me and a medium for Future Mrs. Racetruck

We have some aged, wood-flavored racing fuel. I do love me some bourbon.

A couple random seals that I'm going to have to run the part numbers on and a small level that looks like a line level without any hooks.  I actually design levels and layout tools for a living so I'll have to put this through the ringer.

The final layer consisted of an XL shirt and an amplifier.  I personally know nothing about audio electronics but it looks like it's in good shape.  I'll have to work this onto a project car eventually.

This is awesome, seriously thank you. The bourbon will be enjoyed and the thread files will make it into my tool box and see serious use.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/9/19 8:25 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Glad you liked my feeble attempt at bringing some joy to the frozen north. cheeky

The rubber boot is the lower shifter seal for an NA/NB Miata.  The line is for a kite (or whatever).  And the carburetor is for a husqvarna concrete saw.  Treasures!

Enjoy the spirits, I live in the heart of bourbon country so it only seemed fair to share.  And a couple years ago I did some work with Team Rubicon and was entrusted with a LOT of shirts to hand out.   Use as you see fit. laugh

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Reader
1/9/19 9:51 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

Derp. There you are.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/9/19 10:26 p.m.

Krankshaft is one of my favorite beers. Good call on that one Robbie

psteav
psteav Dork
1/10/19 1:59 p.m.

Got mine a couple of days ago, opened it and took pictures, bjt now finally have time to sit down and post.

Pretty sure I know who sent it - there were only three of us in the late batch, and I sent mine to someone else.

Ooooh yeah...screaming chicken.

Even better....screaming-unicorn-firebird hybrid?  This WILL go on the hood of something.  Someday.

Sweet.  Windowshades, which I need now that I have a mini-psteav in the back seat.  Digital caliper adn multimeter.  Trouble light.  Vietnamese green tea Kit-Kat (delicious) and some sort of mixed coffee and Coke soft drink, also Vietnamese.  I'm intrigued to try it.

Coozie.  Inline amp fuses.  I'm intrigued to try the car wash system.  Seems like a neat idea.

Bitchin stickers.  Proud to say I get all of them except the "Tuna, no crust".  I'm old.  I'll have to look it up.

Also a throwout bearing that fits a bunch of Toyotas.  Problem:  I don' t have a Toyota.  Solution:  Looks like I get to go car shopping.  SWMBO is not following this logic.

Scoshe mug.  Microfiber cloths.  And a tie covered in 911's and C3 Vettes.

All in all, quite the haul.  Thanks, DT&B.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/10/19 2:38 p.m.

In reply to psteav :

"Tuna, no crust" is what Paul Walker / Brian Spilner orders at the Toretto's deli in the OG Fast and the Furious.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
1/10/19 3:48 p.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to psteav :

"Tuna, no crust" is what Paul Walker / Brian Spilner orders at the Toretto's deli in the OG Fast and the Furious.

Wait, Brian had a last name?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/10/19 4:08 p.m.
Patrick said:
Javelin said:

In reply to psteav :

Wait, Brian had a last name?

And a middle! Remember Dom takes his wallet and pulls out his license and says "Brian Earl Spilner, are you a cop?" That was his cover name though, his "real" name is Brian O'Conner.

dr_strangeland
dr_strangeland New Reader
1/10/19 4:44 p.m.

Holy $%^ this thing was packed.

Let's see.

•  a couple Racecar Engineering magazines
  • some pulp fiction
  • an awesome regional SCCA sticker
  • a tool pouch (I think)
  • an aluminum pedal
  • a sanding sponge
  • a crimping tool that may also double as a torture device
  • 2 hot wheels!
  • a very well used vice grip
  • some kind of double ended socket wrench thing
  • THREE 3/4" box end wrenches
  • a... gasket?
  • a rivet gun
  • an Enkei center cap
  • a work assignment / program from the great deluge, I mean 2018 Nats
  • a set of LED fogs that may just work as sketchy 'headlamps' in the racecar
  • an oil filter
  • a cutting wheel
  • SO MANY hose clamps
  • assorted multitudes of zip ties
  • random springs and stickers

I'm sure I've missed some items, I had trouble getting it all in one shot and I had to put it back and go to sleep. Anyway, it was entertaining to unpack, and there's a lot of neat stuff in here! Thanks, secret santa from PA!

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
1/10/19 4:54 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

And it sounds like a serial killer's name. Had Jessie look him up on the internet, you can find anything online these days.

In reply to psteav :

Glad the box arrived safely @psteav, not much of a secret when there were only a few late comers lol sorry I had no Miata stuff for ya

That fire chicken unicorn is the unofficial mascot of mazdeuce's Unicorn of Destruction Unicorn of Destruction
Kit Kat and Coffee Coke were brought back by my sister on her recent trip to 'Nam  
Caliper and multimeter are a regift from previous years games  
Sunshades are new came in a pack with the windshield shade from Costco I have too many and will never use  
coozie, lanyards and sample quick detailer / wax are from my first ever trip to SEMA in 2018  
Mr Clean car wash kit, I got 3 of them on clearance awhile back and never used them so they've been going out to this game, you are the last receipient unless someone regifts  
inline fuses I had laying around probably won't need  
trouble light was a freebie from harbor freight, not a good hammer and they came out with a newer brighter version so you can have that one  
ditto the microfiber, it doubled as packing material for the mug  
Scoshe mug and tie I found thrifting, Scocshe is local to me so that might have been an employee's mug (or even the CEO's college roommate's mailman, twice removed)   
I thought the tie was cool but then realized I would never wear it so you can have it as well, I would dry clean it if you intend to use it (it is of unknown origin and had creases)  
Throw out bearing was from my first ever clutch job. My sister's Scion tC. The internet suggested I use a different brand throw out bearing than what came in the kit so there you go  
There should be a kobalt bottle opener inside the car wash kit, it's black, heavy and kinda cool 
Stickers are from when I got my vinyl plotter and went crazy making stickers thinking I would start a side business and then realized it wasn't worth it   
There should also have been 4 GM automotive horns, known as Cadillac quad tone horns (A,C,D & F) I have a set wired on my IS300 and now have to be extra careful when I use my horn as it is quite loud. They are hilarious. 110dB I believe. I have sets to go on my LS430, MX6 and my son's Celica and my friends have me getting them sets when I do junkyard runs. Would suggest wiring up with a relay harness. Cadillac quad tone horns on my IS300

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/10/19 4:54 p.m.

Han had a last name too. Only saw it at his funeral in 6. Han Seoul-oh

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/10/19 8:03 p.m.

Does anybody else check this thread regularly for pics of the E36 M3 they sent?

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
1/10/19 8:36 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

No, but I will starting tomorrow.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/10/19 8:54 p.m.

I wanted to see what everyone else sent. I was more confused when my box turned up, before my box turned up. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
1/10/19 10:23 p.m.

Used part of my gift today! 

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
1/11/19 5:07 a.m.
Javelin said:

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
1/11/19 6:09 a.m.

A parcel greeted me from the front stoop as I arrived at my home yesterday eve.

psteav
psteav Dork
1/11/19 8:43 a.m.
DuctTape&Bondo said:

There should also have been 4 GM automotive horns, known as Cadillac quad tone horns (A,C,D & F) I have a set wired on my IS300 and now have to be extra careful when I use my horn as it is quite loud. They are hilarious. 110dB I believe. I have sets to go on my LS430, MX6 and my son's Celica and my friends have me getting them sets when I do junkyard runs. Would suggest wiring up with a relay harness. Cadillac quad tone horns on my IS300

Oh E36 M3!  I forgot about the horns.  I assumed it was some kind of four-horn setup, but I was kind of in the dark.  Turns out you got me some Miata stuff after all - Miata horns suck, and I was going to put HF air horns on my new project.  These will work even better.  Thanks, dude!

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
1/11/19 8:52 a.m.
Javelin said:

Yeah, and the wife threw out the receipt with the tracking number on it so I have no idea if it arrived or not.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
1/11/19 9:09 a.m.
dr_strangeland said:

Let's see.

•  a couple Racecar Engineering magazines
  • some pulp fiction
  • an awesome regional SCCA sticker
  • a tool pouch (I think)
  • an aluminum pedal
  • a sanding sponge
  • a crimping tool that may also double as a torture device
  • 2 hot wheels!
  • a very well used vice grip
  • some kind of double ended socket wrench thing
  • THREE 3/4" box end wrenches
  • a... gasket?
  • a rivet gun
  • an Enkei center cap
  • a work assignment / program from the great deluge, I mean 2018 Nats
  • a set of LED fogs that may just work as sketchy 'headlamps' in the racecar
  • an oil filter
  • a cutting wheel
  • SO MANY hose clamps
  • assorted multitudes of zip ties
  • random springs and stickers

I'm sure I've missed some items, I had trouble getting it all in one shot and I had to put it back and go to sleep. Anyway, it was entertaining to unpack, and there's a lot of neat stuff in here! Thanks, secret santa from PA!

-The LED lamps work well as headlights, they just blind all oncoming traffic.  I used an identical set for night rallycross, then local sites dried up before that new set ever got installed on the new rx car.

-lol @ tool pouch.  Man, maybe i should have used it for that.  They're supposed to be little winter coats for your sideview mirrors so they don't get frosted up overnight.  Yes that's probably useless in WA, but trust me they are also useless in snowy PA and probably useless in Canada too for that matter.  Who buys these things?  My mother.  As xmas gifts.  Idunno. 

-aluminum pedal is an add-on gas pedal overlay to theoretically heel-toe better in a Miata.

-Hose clamps, zip ties, wrenches and torture devices came from a tool lot i bought that had insane quantities of the strangest things.  And a random key to a chevy.  I was planning to include the chevy key in this year's GRM box since April however i - wait for it - lost it again.  Of course.

-The hot wheels are the fastest color.

-Lincoln badge is off my immaculate '83 Town Car that I traded for a Taurus SHO, and found the town car smashed up in the pick-n-pull about 3 weeks later while parts hunting for the SHO.  It was sad.  Took the badges.  

-Small random/cartoon stickers are a regift from last year.  Large ones are a mix of current SCCA contingency stickers and 90's vintage NHRA contingency ones.

volvoclearinghouse
1/11/19 9:28 a.m.

It was the coldest night of the year (so far...) last night, so I retreated tot he (slightly) warmer climes of my wood shop, in leiu of the unheated garage, for the unpacking ceremony.

Unpacking fluid retrieved from the shelf.  Now what hilariously overkill method can I use to open this package?

Measure to where the tape line is...

Note: "Supposed to Rattle"

Set table saw to the same distance.

Set blade height to "thickness of Priority Box cardboard"

Next, set the guide to rip down the edges of the box.

And...success!  The package has been opened!

A good haul in here!

Not really "levels" here, per se, so here's the whole shootin' match laid out on my box opener dealie.

So...what've we got?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/11/19 9:41 a.m.

The ever more elaborate "openings" are comedy gold!!!

volvoclearinghouse
1/11/19 9:45 a.m.

Pic 1: 

• "vintage" car thermometer (before every new car had one of these)
  • Some sort of funny foam padded dealie
  • 3 brass door hinges (will come in handy for all the doors I seem to have to do)
  • 2 valve stem unscrewer tools- always good to have around, will be well-used
  • A bag of new valve stems and caps (ditto)
  • some sort of adaptor that lets you use a normal inflator blow up beach balls (could be useful)
  • 3 swing hangers (kindof eerily useful, and I have 2 kids swings I need to hang up this Spring...were you spying on me?)

Pic 2:

• 2 LED orange warning lights (probably will find a home in the LeMons car
  • A trailer plug tester (How did you know my trailer wiring is always sketchy???)
  • Some cool impact lug nut putter-onner/ taker-offer dealies
  • A pair of wiring terminal blocks (also will come in handy on the LeMons car)
  • a AA battery box
  • 2 lanyards
  • 2 black things that look like you screw them to a wall and then hang stuff on them
  • Some holiday-themed hand sanitizers
  • Another handy trailer wiring doo-dad
  • A bunch of scotch-locks (AKA wiring terminations of final resort)
  • Some black clampie things
  • 4 weird bar-bell-looking things, sort of heavy for their size.  No clue what they do.  Squirrel bodybuilding?
  • A shift knob that will eerily perfectly fit Mrs/ VCH's Suburban

Pic 3

• Some seeds that expired in 2014, that I'm going to plant anyway.  Will keep you posted
  • A government pen.  My dad used to work for the State before he retired, and I used to always have these exact pens to take to school.  I think I'd lost/killed them all, so this is a bit of a memory for me.  :-)
  • A sticker- forget what it said, "Airsmart" or something.  
  • Concrete anchors- will add to the collection, I do use these quite often
  • Some odd pieces of bent up wire
  • A "Peace Junk Food" pin.  Origin unknown
  • More trailer wiring stuff (should I take a hint?)
  • 2 chinese box opener things that wouldn't have worked as well as a table saw
  • A blue...thing.  I'm lost here.  Looks like a glovebox liner...might be vaguely marine in origin
  • A mystery black box
  • Some weird clampie-legged-thingie with a USB port.  

The mystery black box turned out to be a weatherproof first aid kit, which I needed.  It will be going into Mrs. VCH's Suburban

Still unsure what the clampy legged USB thing is...

Lots of good stuff here, some of which may even get used.  laugh

(Written with the government pen.)

java230
java230 UltraDork
1/11/19 9:49 a.m.

The clampy/usb thing is a Ram Mount X Grip, they are awesome. I have one in my DD.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
1/11/19 10:30 a.m.

The foam pad thing is an ankle holster.

Better check the trailer stuff, it's all European 7-pin. That either is really cool or infuriating. 

Should be an 18650 battery holder, not AA. Put a little Tesla power somewhere. 

The hangy thing came with a lock box to use it fo keys. I use it for a handgun instead. 

Not just hand sanitizer, also some poo-pourii.

Black clampy things are the worlds cheapest scope mounts.

Odd pieces of wire are fence clips, for attaching barb wire to T posts. How the west was tamed.

Chinese box opener are from a giant jar of 1000 my dad bought 20 years ago.  Don't bother trying to resharpen them.

The blue thing is a cup for a grain elevator lifting conveyor.  I have dozens and find them to be just about perfect for mounting to something an holding tape measures, writing implements, air chucks, etc.  

The clampy thingy is an ebay knockoff of a RAM x-grip and that one includes a 12v usb adapter for charging your device.  Once you have used one whatever else you were doing with your phone before will seem lame. That particular base mount is designed to go on a motorcycle mirror, but I find it easy to use anywhere you have a bolt.

Check out some of the bandages in the first aid kit; there are some interesting ones I discovered while I spent 6 months with an open wound on my leg this year. 

Hope you enjoy the junk, otherwise you can pass it along next year!

Did the business card make it? They make me laugh. 

Edit: the little bar bell things are brass under the crappy paint and the female ends screw right onto carb air filter studs.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IzGBzlRwypEgBYwXSeJyiYmCLxkbHnwdad0mnyrvCgjeOJrRuOxdH0zkvvl3c2vS