Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
2/8/23 3:27 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

Just PM me your address.

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/9/23 11:23 a.m.

Quick update - I have been out of commission with work issues for the past 3 weeks and was already behind on shipping my (partially filled) box out. 

I have also received mine, but was holding off opening it until I've done my part outbound. 

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
2/9/23 2:27 p.m.

Time for a quick update:

I sent a couple e-mails out today to people who had senders ship but had not yet posted as "received", so we're still waiting on confirmation from them.  But there are only 6 boxes left in the game if my spreadsheet is correct.  Of those 6, four are showing "received but not yet posted" so if you're one of those please post the pictures when you can so we can all enjoy them.

Cheers guys!

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
2/9/23 2:48 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
2/9/23 3:40 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks for the kick in the...

well, you know. 
I'm running behind on everything lately. 

My box arrived pretty quickly, but I was slow getting mine sent out, and I always wait until I've done that before I open the new submission.
Then, since it's a family event, I held off until everyone was available. That gets harder. Every year, the kids are getting older.

One family member was ready and interested anyhow.

Time to proceed with entry, and I was impressed with how tightly the adhesive holds on these boxes.

The knife wasn't getting it.

Right on top, a vintage car magazine (wait, was 2007 that long ago?). 
lots of cool stuff in here.

Next up, a Tweetie Bird Pez dispenser.  I didn't even get a chance to set that down before the package got opened and the candy doled out by my observers.

This is a useful tool for spark plug changes on overhead cam engines, but what about those two springs? I would like to know what was the intended use for those. 

Next up some closet shelving corner brackets, some stickers (we always love stickers), and an ignition coil for something.

Driving gloves, and some bootleg Top Gear videos!

More stuff, ford Racing plug wire set for a V-8, something I haven't owned in a long time, and all of mine had pushrods.

The mystery from this box is on the upper right, the yellow hooks with the circular wheel type thing in then. I have no idea what those are for.

Fun haul, thanks benefactor from Georgia! I haven't figured out who it was yet, maybe he'll reveal himself here.

2/9/23 3:48 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

You're welcome! That's so cool that you actually own a Subaru that you can use that filter in. I meant to send that last year and it didn't fit in the box.
As for the drawing, I'm really out of practice. I'll be really flattered if it ends up on display, and I'm glad you enjoy it.
It looks like I did OK with this year's submission!

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
2/10/23 9:13 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I started packing the box before I even knew who was getting it, so I forgot some of what I crammed in there. I forgot about the knockoff crayons! The springs were from an old kids bike seat but seemed useful somehow. The coil should be for a GM 2.4L or maybe it was a 3.8L. The plug wires should be Ford 4.6L/5.4L when it had the coils sitting up on the engine. The yellow things are tarp tie downs. Pop out the disc, put the tarp in the now open hole and pop the disc back in. The little plastic levers are for dismounting bike tires.

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
2/10/23 1:43 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to EvanB :
As for the drawing, I'm really out of practice. I'll be really flattered if it ends up on display, and I'm glad you enjoy it.

It ended up on the fridge:

2/11/23 7:46 a.m.
EvanB said:
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to EvanB :

It ended up on the fridge:

I'm flattered, I was running so late on sending the box this year that I didn't have much time.
I knocked that out on a sheet of printer paper in about ten minutes, trying to get it done before the post office closed. 

2/13/23 8:06 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Not to worry. I have your box of.... er, stuff nearly full. I think this is the 3rd year running I've been in the last 5 to send the box out. Keep low expectations and you'll never be disappointed!!

2/16/23 12:38 p.m.

oof!  2-days without an update.  We cant have that!

So I just sent my box off.  I didn't actually sign up this year, but in the true spirit of the game I DID have a box in the garage gathering stuff.  So when one arrived at my doorstep semi-unexpectedly, I had one to send back out.  I did that earlier this week (sorry, I've been getting my butt kicked at work lately) so here my loot!

I've seen some well packed boxes on here, but HoserRacing really nailed it with this one.  (I'm glad I didn't use the chainsaw again this year!)

Chili powder, cilantro, and cumin!  Three of the hardest to get ingredients out here (fun fact.  Ground cumin out here, is actually caraway seed...).

And if you want to make good 'ol fashioned Texican food, you need all of them!

Love this t-shirt!  And I think I have a use for the hat and towel as well

Stikarz and cars!  I told Mrs. Hungary the kids could dig through the box and pick their favorite vehicle

Someone's been reading the Ukraine thread!  Everything here was broken in the truck after the Bamako run. 

The lights and the mirrors have since been replaced, but spares of both are wonderful! 

The PCV tube, the clamps, and the power steering resivoir cap were all very needed, thank you!

and one can always use more Toyota FIPG

footprint gas pedal!  Dang!  (Tell me you didn't read that in Joe Dirt's voice).

Enough talk, time to rock!

The only two clean things in the entire engine bay.

Thanks Hoser!!! laugh

2/16/23 12:39 p.m.

aaaaah, just kidding.

It does look cool though cheeky

HoserRacing
HoserRacing HalfDork
2/16/23 12:45 p.m.

That does look cool!  Figured it might be a better fit on the Dodge (and you got the Joe Dirt reference!!!)  All that baggies was why I made sure to tell you I washed my hands before packing.  I couldn't fit all the bottles in, so got out the vacuum sealer and just went to town filling in crannies, nooks and crevices in the box.  Enjoy, thanks for all you do for us and the rest of the world as well!

2/17/23 11:32 a.m.

In reply to HoserRacing :

Much appreciated, man!

My eldest put on his coveralls and dressed up as a mechanic for "farsang" at school.  I gave him the red towel to have hang out of his pocket and instructed him to use it to wipe his hands anytime he was standing up and talking to someone cheeky

2/20/23 9:04 p.m.

Final (?) box is packed; no US post today but Indy Guy can stop crying soon. I have not yet opened my box, received weeks ago. 

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/20/23 10:06 p.m.

Just popped in to say it was fun spotting some regifted items from years past!

HoserRacing
HoserRacing HalfDork
2/23/23 8:51 p.m.

Ok, just got a box of cool stuff from the old world!  

Cool stickers and a Toyota center cap, possibly from the Dnipro Express?

A Skoda magnet and some Dnipro Express stickers :) 

Assorted bottles of goodness, waiting for the explanation of what they are now :)  Listening to Rocky Leon while I'm posting all of this up, definitely some upbeat happy music!  Had some of the candy, pretty good, now to figure out what the flavor is, and a bag of red powder that had been protected by a helmet bag that I just realized I didn't get a pic of :( 

Waiting for the story on the candy, my son loves the package!

Subaru clutch fork, unidentified water pump, glasses cleaner, ignition module, roll bar clamp?, and a shaft with a gear on one end, made by Champion?

Two air fresheners and two cool car magazines :)  Thanks Bill!

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
2/24/23 8:31 a.m.

Hungarian Paprika. It's the best!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
2/24/23 8:34 a.m.

That Dnipro Express sticker is awesome!!!!

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
2/24/23 11:16 a.m.

I am starting on my box for next year already! 

2/27/23 10:04 a.m.

In reply to HoserRacing :

Oh man, I totally spaced that jar of honey when I got your e-mail!  You could have 100% made biscuits with it!

Ok, here goes

So the center cap was from some 15" aluminum wheels that came with the truck.  They were dented and mismatched compared to the rest of the 16" shoes she was wearing, so I kept the center caps and put the aluminum out for the metal recyclers.

The Dnipro express sticker was a caricature drawn up by someone on instagram (their name escapes me at the moment) and I had stickers made out of it!  I thought you'd enjoy one (The KC light sticker was included when I threw the roof lights on the top of that same truck).

Ok, the assorted bottles:

First the honey.  It's the small jar labled "Akacmez".  This came from a local bee keeper, and the "Akac" variety is considered to be "the best" around here.  Honestly, it must be lost on me because honey always tastes like honey to me

The tall big bottle is strawberry syrup from a local lady who makes such things.  A few years ago I found her at the farmers market selling baked goods, and she's since expanded to making syrups and jam/preserves.  it's good stuff.

The bottle with the pears on it is Hungarian palinka (you guessed it, pear flavored!).  My coworkers grandmother was having trouble filling the hours in her retirement and started making liquor at home.  It turns out she's not half bad at it cheeky

The little round bottle (not the squished oval one) is Slovakian honey liquor and THIS is what I immediately thought of when you said you thought one of the jars was honey laugh  This came from the Budapest to Bamako trip.  When my teammate Katka came back down to get her camping gear out of the truck, she brought this stuff with her.  You can't buy it in stores, but it is DELICIOUS (and strong).

The other bottle is some sort of Swedish grape liquor.  It was given to us by some Swedish friends when they were leaving.  The bottle had no lable, but had a cluster of grapes, with some leaves attached still in the bottle.  Not my favorite, but interesting.

The Patron wrapped candy is just that!  They're chocolates that Mrs. Hungary and I got from VikkiDp when we were last in Dnipro, and we thought we'd share.

And the "Eros Pista".  This is my favorite and now that I've had some, I don't know how I ever lived without it.  Simply make some soup or stew and add like 1/4tsp of this stuff to it.  Taste and add more as you like.  It's got some spice to it, but it's not bad

Rocky Leon!  Ok, so we were lost in the Vienna train station and a street musician was setting up shop.  I asked him for help and it turns out he's an american out kickin around Europe.  He was so helpful that I bought three of his CD's!  He said that this was the one that was "best produced".  I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet though.

The red bag is of course, Paprika.  Again from the farmer's market.  There are a couple people that smoke this stuff, and the person I buy from has been my paprika dealer for years.

The clutch fork is a re-gift (mandatory tradition), the 4-pin HEI was bought as a safeguard against my Toyota's ignition ignitor.  In a pinch, you can re-wire the toyota dizzy to accept a GM HEI module as a replacement.  I never used it, and never will as I later learned that such a mod wasn't possible on the 22RE.

The bracket was to a CB antenna that didn't work with my truck.  I ended up fabbing my own.

The water pump was from my 2004 BMW 330CI (E46).  I bought it as a preventive maintenance measure, and immediately sold the vehicle.

The "shaft with a gear on the end" is actually the igniter from a Pratt and Whitney F117 Turbo-Fan engine.  40,000lbs of thrust starts with that bad boy.

So that's that!  Now go enjoy those honey biscuits! cheeky

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
2/27/23 2:41 p.m.

Well, a box showed up.

Complete with a Card and a nice note:

First look at the loot (note all the little hands around the box, waiting to snatch some goodies):

Unboxed:

Heated scraper, bag of zip ties, impact wrench ! ! ! !

close ups of the haul:

The Hotwheels went lightning quick:

An amazing array of 10mm sockets, maybe I'll finally be able to find one when needed now!

Tach and air hose with gage.

organizing trays, some gaskets, GRM lanyard.

And some band-aids in a pack for when I cut my nub.

Thanks Greg, nice box!

2/28/23 12:46 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

You're very welcome - glad you enjoyed it!

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
4/7/23 4:56 p.m.
preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
4/7/23 5:08 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

They don't know that we deal in Unobtainium.

Amateurs. 

15 16 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fQRWQAIFtZx1PT4O5kfldOniekRhCbLT7NV3YukoPg8OFZ4OyuR8TLvq9D3rxcpP