1 2
Antihero
Antihero Dork
2/12/19 8:58 p.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to Antihero :

23?  Damn...  You're giving my old bass player a run there.  I'm pretty sure he has at least that many.  He talked me into a couple of interesting pedals. An Acapulco Gold fuzz and a Gonkulator octave-fuzz.  For delay I have a vintage Memory Man with a 120V plug. 

I have a ton of effects, but typically only played live straight into the amp - even when my amp was a rack mounted ADA set-up. 

I used a Whammy pedal as a chorus on a couple of songs. 

Are you familiar with Pete Thorn's YouTube channel? He has a video about doing a 4 wire set-up like you are describing. Apparently hiss can be an issue. 

Acapulco is actually on my short list to buy soon and i have a Gonkulator lol

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
2/14/19 1:18 p.m.

So my plan WAS to buy a pile of new pedals and a voodoo “dingbat” board with pedal power & case, but this is on CL for $220, and I figure it might be worth a shot vs. the $800 I was about to plunk down.

Enable/disable me?

Antihero
Antihero Dork
2/14/19 2:52 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

So my plan WAS to buy a pile of new pedals and a voodoo “dingbat” board with pedal power & case, but this is on CL for $220, and I figure it might be worth a shot vs. the $800 I was about to plunk down.

Enable/disable me?

Im not really a fan of any multifx unit

poopshovel again
2/14/19 3:01 p.m.
Antihero said:
poopshovel again said:

Enable/disable me?

Generally speaking, I’m not either, but that’s only based on a $50 “zoom” unit I grabbed at a pawn shop. The TC seems to be a different animal. I dunno. I’ll give it a whirl, and if it sucks, I’ll throw it back on CL.

Antihero
Antihero Dork
2/14/19 3:03 p.m.
poopshovel again said:
Antihero said:
poopshovel again said:

Enable/disable me?

Generally speaking, I’m not either, but that’s only based on a $50 “zoom” unit I grabbed at a pawn shop. The TC seems to be a different animal. I dunno. I’ll give it a whirl, and if it sucks, I’ll throw it back on CL.

Not a bad idea at all, looks like they are going for a little more than that on Reverb so you probably arent risking any money

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/15/19 2:40 p.m.

Know who knows pedals? Vernon Reid and Doug Wimbish. (They're also into cars, too; Vernon doesn't know this yet, but one day we're going to a race together.)

Antihero
Antihero Dork
2/15/19 6:57 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Know who knows pedals? Vernon Reid and Doug Wimbish. (They're also into cars, too; Vernon doesn't know this yet, but one day we're going to a race together.)

I probably should listen to him more, pretty much all ive really delved into Living Colour is Cult Of Personality and the worst cover of Sunshine of Your Love, ever

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/16/19 12:27 a.m.
Antihero said:
David S. Wallens said:

I probably should listen to him more, pretty much all ive really delved into Living Colour is Cult Of Personality and the worst cover of Sunshine of Your Love, ever

The new album's awesome. Here's somerthing live and kinda recent. 

poopshovel again
2/22/19 3:24 p.m.

So I received the Nova, and I’m on the fence. The adjustments are certainly not “user-friendly,” but I’m reminding myself it was made pre-iphone(?) The seller’s presets are berkeleyING_HORRIBLE, so if I can fix that, maybe it’s a keeper, or maybe it goes up for sale. Right now I’m kinda wishing I’d have just held my nose, swiped the card, and assembled my dream board instead.

Antihero
Antihero Dork
2/22/19 3:28 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

So I received the Nova, and I’m on the fence. The adjustments are certainly not “user-friendly,” but I’m reminding myself it was made pre-iphone(?) The seller’s presets are berkeleyING_HORRIBLE, so if I can fix that, maybe it’s a keeper, or maybe it goes up for sale. Right now I’m kinda wishing I’d have just held my nose, swiped the card, and assembled my dream board instead.

Most the time thats my exact feelings of modeling stuff. Although i do like the little Fender Mustang practice amp i have

poopshovel again
2/22/19 6:39 p.m.
Antihero said:
poopshovel again said:

Most the time thats my exact feelings of modeling stuff. Although i do like the little Fender Mustang practice amp i have

Likewise. I’m hoping an afternoon with it might change that. Just need to do a factory reboot and play with it a bit to see if it’ll do what I need it to. 

poopshovel again
3/30/19 7:20 p.m.

Soooooo yeah.

The Nova is not at all “user-friendly,” but I keep reminding myself it was produced pre-iphone. 

I spent a morning...afternoon...evening getting all the settings dialed in/previous user presets dialed out. It really is a glorious thing, and is built like a brick E36 M3house. 

I still don’t have the delay/reverb exactly where I want them, but HOLY_SH1T, I found the hot settings on the phaser. I only use it on one blast-beat section of one song, but the looks on the faces of my band maties when I kicked it on was priceless.

Also, the harmonizer is better than “not bad.”

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/31/19 8:48 a.m.

IMHO, the all-in-one pedals are a simple solution if you just need pedals to color your basic sound once in awhile - guitar with amp distortion or maybe distortion from a separate pedal. When they get iffy is when you're asking them to BE your sound.

I'm not sure I'd want a pre-iPhone era multi-effect unit, technology has progressed so much since then. Mainly with the ability now to plug a laptop into a USB port and edit presets.  A couple of reviews seem to echo your comments about editing on the Nova. Probably not the unit you want if you may need to make changes on the fly.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
el88EHiiPVRMq8PbWBPE02aBhPihnYevua8IhSVKrGho3zwvhouP260mAIp8FQLE