alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/25/20 8:01 a.m.

Happy Evacuation Day!  Marking the day that the British finally evacuated New York after the Treaty of Paris.  Just over a week later, Washington resigned his commission, and the Revolutionary War was really over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evacuation_Day_(New_York)

This was celebrated for over 100 years, longer than the official Thanksgiving day, which was set officially in the '30s.  Of course T-giving has been celebrated for a very long, long time. 

But Evacuation Day is something to think about.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/25/20 11:43 a.m.

Well... realistically, the day after Thanksgiving is still Evacuation Day.... it's a lot of food... 

11/25/20 12:06 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

That's the reason it's called black Friday.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/25/20 12:13 p.m.

So it's the celebration of ceremonially and officially taking over the land from those who lived upon it before us. Got it. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
11/25/20 12:21 p.m.

First thought of thread title was colonoscopy prep day.  laugh

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/25/20 12:47 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

So it's the celebration of ceremonially and officially taking over the land from those who lived upon it before us. Got it. 

No, it's the celebration of ceremonially and officially taking over the land from those who had taken it for us from those who lived upon it before us.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/25/20 1:31 p.m.
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) said:

No, it's the celebration of ceremonially and officially taking over the land from those who had taken it for us from those who lived upon it before us.

Doesn't it just BURN you when you go through all the trouble of stealing something and some bastard tries to take it from you!!

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/25/20 1:45 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I was thinking that we were evacuating the system the day before, to make for more room for a big dinner...

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
11/25/20 11:48 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
11/26/20 12:31 a.m.

Go rail against England, Spain, and France. 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/26/20 6:23 a.m.

It sure doesn't take long for some SJW to crap up a thread, does it?

Meanwhile, the British continued to stick it to us with enticing but questionably reliable products. I just spent $800 having a Lucas magneto built. God save the Queen!

11/26/20 7:03 a.m.

In reply to fasted58 :

That's where I found it, too- I had no idea.

Given what happened in that era, it's interesting that the only day we actually celebrate is the day that Independence was declared.  Not when we won, not when the Treaty of Paris was signed, not when we went out on our own.  Just the day we declared.

And given how important the Constitution is- we don't celebrate any of that, either.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
11/26/20 8:18 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Is being a SJW a bad thing? 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
11/26/20 8:22 a.m.

What's SJW translate to?

Tomorrow will be evacuation day indeed after everything consumed today!

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
11/26/20 8:23 a.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to ddavidv :

Only if you don't like SJ. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
11/26/20 8:24 a.m.

In reply to dxman92 :

Social Justice Warrior

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/26/20 8:25 a.m.

Depends on your definition of SJ, and what can be realistically done to promote it.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
11/26/20 8:51 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:
yupididit said:

In reply to ddavidv :

Only if you don't like SJ. 

Got it, I know a good amount of those lol

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/26/20 7:53 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to ddavidv :

When it get inserted into every thread or FB post about something as innocuous as a interesting piece of little known history, yes.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
11/26/20 8:16 p.m.
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to fasted58 :

That's where I found it, too- I had no idea.

Given what happened in that era, it's interesting that the only day we actually celebrate is the day that Independence was declared.  Not when we won, not when the Treaty of Paris was signed, not when we went out on our own.  Just the day we declared.

And given how important the Constitution is- we don't celebrate any of that, either.

I was surprised to learn that also. I was in grade school in the 60's (thorough history I thought) and never heard of Evacuation Day, even through high school.

Thanks for sharing.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
11/26/20 8:42 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

I mean, I would def prefer to shine light on the things that we celebrate that happened to be horrid tragedies to others. In this country, we have a weird habit of romanticizing some truly E36 M3ty E36 M3 and show the people who were negatively affected just how much we don't give a E36 M3. 

But that's from my side of the fence. History wasn't so great from the side I'm sitting on. Maybe it's not worth the effort to be a SJW about the stuff over on your side. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/26/20 8:51 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Having some Native American in the blood line, I’m not bitter about something that was done many generations before I was born. Besides, a bigger tribe just whipped “our” butts, while we where whipping any tribe smaller than “us.” Sucked for “us,” but the real world often sucks. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
11/26/20 9:00 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

It ain't about being bitter or not. It's about telling the truth and real history. But, I'm not telling anyone what to do or what to believe. I simply speaking on social justice and how SJW is a thing, and definitely shouldn't be negative but somehow is. It's goofy and weird to me how we put people down who want social justice. 

But y'all enjoy this holiday lol

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/26/20 9:19 p.m.

I was only saying I’m not bitter. I know folks that are, but I’m not. You definitely have never come off as bitter. 

Happy holiday’s, and happy everyday!!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
exKtDuPR4vJqnc4bgTQDd65Eg0GgXy9DdvxBMquzuddepL0fBJmZf69iDVAhKK3e