David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/12/11 1:02 p.m.

It's Biketoberfest here in the greater Daytona Beach area. Yay.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
10/12/11 1:12 p.m.

Put your earplugs in now.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku Dork
10/12/11 1:14 p.m.

Cue the South Park episode

slefain
slefain SuperDork
10/12/11 2:02 p.m.

Squids!

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
10/12/11 2:06 p.m.
slefain wrote: Squids!

Wouldn't that imply they'd at least wear helmets and that their bikes were fast?

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
10/12/11 2:50 p.m.

Squids don't wear helmets.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
10/12/11 3:04 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Cue the South Park episode

"The only people who try to draw this much attention to themselves are you and 14 year old girls."

Once again, what could be funnier than the truth?

So when it was nice out earlier this month and last, every morning, some idiot would drive by our apartment (which is in an old farmhouse on a nice curvy road) at 5 berkeleying 45 in the morning at WOT with absolutely no pipes or mufflers of any kind on his "bike." It wasn't just loud because I was asleep, it would've been loud if I had earplugs in and was 100 feet away. I was this close to following him home, waiting for him to go to sleep, removing a spark plug, and smoothing out the spark plug threads with a Dremel. We even called the fuzz on him, because there's a noise ordinance in effect until 6, and I think this fell pretty squarely into the unreasonable category, but they didn't do a thing (surprise!).

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
10/12/11 3:08 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Around here they wear helmets to go with their ball shorts and a shirt. When they finally do go down at speed, the remains looks a lot like a certain sea creature.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
10/12/11 4:01 p.m.
MG_Bryan wrote: In reply to Appleseed: Around here they wear helmets to go with their ball shorts and a shirt. When they finally do go down at speed, the remains looks a lot like a certain sea creature.

This

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
10/12/11 4:04 p.m.

Florida doesn't require helmets! Why would anyone want to wear one of those?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/12/11 4:13 p.m.

Over the years Bikeweek and Biketoberfest have become much more mixed --- not just Harleys.

There are plenty of squids--- usually wearing flip-flops, shorts and occasionally without shirts. These guys usually look like they are right off the set of Jersey Shore. They are usually on the big sportbikes too, but they probably never get out of second gear.

The Harley crowd usually are clothed in leather jackets, leather pants, big boots....lots of pretty safe gear....and no helmets. I could care less if you wear a helmet or not, but what bugs me about this crowd is they go bar hopping on 2-wheels. I've seen many, many Harley guys completely wasted drunk on their bikes. This I don't understand.

That said, of all the events in this area, the biker events are the least hassle, bring in the most $$$ and are generally cause the least amount of trouble. They provide a much needed shot in the arm for this area's economy.

I for one welcome our biker overlords!

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
10/12/11 4:15 p.m.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/12/11 4:20 p.m.
MitchellC wrote: Florida doesn't require helmets! Why would anyone want to wear one of those?

The image below is not for the timid but I think everyone should see what can happen if you don't wear a helmet when riding. Sorry if this is too graphic for this board.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
10/12/11 4:33 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Um, wrong pic? Or am I not getting the joke? Or is it not a joke and I'm still not getting it?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/12/11 4:37 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: Um, wrong pic? Or am I not getting the joke? Or is it not a joke and I'm still not getting it?

It was a Ben Rothlisburger joke. Sorry.

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
10/12/11 4:39 p.m.

Don't be sorry. I thought it was pretty damn funny.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
10/12/11 5:12 p.m.

I'd have to leave town. There aren't many groups of people that I tolerate less than Harley people. I know there are folks here that own those things, no offense intended.

cardiacdog
cardiacdog Reader
10/12/11 5:14 p.m.

Now that there's funny- maybe it knocked some sense into Big Ben

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
10/12/11 5:16 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: Um, wrong pic? Or am I not getting the joke? Or is it not a joke and I'm still not getting it?
It was a Ben Rothlisburger joke. Sorry.

Don't apologize. Gary Busey thinks it's funny, too.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
10/12/11 9:42 p.m.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
10/12/11 9:51 p.m.

Titty time at the boothill, say cabbie?

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
10/13/11 1:18 a.m.

Don't they give you new flip flops and a fresh wife beater when you buy a new white and blue Gixxer?

equals this:

rotard
rotard Reader
10/13/11 7:57 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Over the years Bikeweek and Biketoberfest have become much more mixed --- not just Harleys. There are plenty of squids--- usually wearing flip-flops, shorts and occasionally without shirts. These guys usually look like they are right off the set of Jersey Shore. They are usually on the big sportbikes too, but they probably never get out of second gear. The Harley crowd usually are clothed in leather jackets, leather pants, big boots....lots of pretty safe gear....and no helmets. I could care less if you wear a helmet or not, but what bugs me about this crowd is they go bar hopping on 2-wheels. I've seen many, many Harley guys completely wasted drunk on their bikes. This I don't understand. That said, of all the events in this area, the biker events are the least hassle, bring in the most $$$ and are generally cause the least amount of trouble. They provide a much needed shot in the arm for this area's economy. I for one welcome our biker overlords!

I have to agree with this. Any area that has a type of "bike week" has tons of money coming in, and relatively little trouble. Ask Myrtle Beach how they feel about kicking them out. Remember, the same things some of you are saying can also be said about any automotive gathering, as well.

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
10/13/11 9:20 p.m.

for a few years back in the mid 90's, the AMA had a national points flat track race at the county fairgrounds in my home town.. as part of the festivities, they had a Harley rally that took over the entire midway area of the fairgrounds. there was a solid 2 acres of nothing but Harleys (well, there was that one crotch rocket that was parked all by itself..) and the true old school "bad guys" that you think of when you think of Harleys. i'm sure a few weekend warriors managed to blend in, but for the most part it was a few thousand old school drugged up dirtballs. i saw crusty old beat up and worn out dudes wearing crusty old beat up and worn out leather jackets with Hell's Angels and about a dozen other biker gang patches on them- but everyone got along and had a good time.. both of the local bars had hundreds of Harleys lined up out front- with one big scary looking guy guarding them. both of the campgrounds in town were packed full of dudes that rode their Harleys from all corners of the country..

as far as i know, there was no crime on those weekends and they left the place nicer than when they showed up. they also raised a lot of money for local charities, which is something that the bikers i knew as a kid always did.. they also left a LOT of money in the town when they left. yeah, some people freaked out and were afraid to leave their houses, but that was on them and not on the tens of thousands of people that gathered from all over the country to totally overrun a town with a population of around 1000 people.

that all ended when the county fair board decided to convert most of the race track into a parking lot to use for the 5 days of the county fair, leaving only the grandstand and the front stretch for tractor pulls and demo derbies. that marked the loss of one of the many 1/2 mile dirt ovals that used to dot the countryside, and probably cost the town a couple of million dollars each year in lost revenue.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EDkwiNjHUC3HDsEN93Md7LlOB47GdsU6ocgRbTa7nxhFi28g0YuL1m6lYL3rzS7u