The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
1/5/12 10:21 a.m.

Due to my pack-rat like tendencies when it comes to parts and such I still have the fuel tank, pump and a foot or so of the harness from the Legacy that kindly donated it's EJ22 to my Brighton. The Brighton's fuel mileage isn't the greatest and I've been kicking around the idea of cutting that tank down and mounting it in the trunk to extend the range a bit.

What good is a ZAV if you run out of gas before you get away from Zombie central?

Like the title says, have any of you done this to a gas powered car? (More than slightly inspired by the Greasecar thread.)

Would I be able to just tap into the existing fuel line and count on either pump to prevent reverse flow when the other pump is...pumping?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
1/5/12 10:27 a.m.

The 9th Gen F-Series have two tanks, but I think one pump. It may be a good starting point to help you out.

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
1/5/12 10:35 a.m.

I had a '94 F150 with dual tanks, a 300 six and a five speed (miss that truck) but sadly I never really investigated the inner workings of the fuel system.

ncjay
ncjay Reader
1/5/12 12:05 p.m.

I have a dually that I've been planning on adding another tank to. My plans are to just add a 100 gallon tank to the bed and use a small electric pump with a switch in the cab to refill a tank when it gets low. Thinking of just running a line from the tank in the bed to the fuel filler neck. Chevy duallies have a switch that lets you go back and forth between two tanks. That's one possible solution out of many. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Fuel-Tank-Selector-Valve-ACDelco_18051446-P_831_R%7CGRPSESWAMS_____

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
1/5/12 12:32 p.m.

Yup. My system is a bit different though...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
1/5/12 12:48 p.m.

Carbed vehicles used a switching valve that changed which tank the pump sucked from. EFI mostly had one main pump outside the tank, and a feed pump in each tank that would be switched. There are some diesels out there that transfer from one tank to the other.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
1/5/12 2:26 p.m.

If you put the auxiliary tank higher than the main tank, you can let the auxiliary tank gravity drain into the main tank by tapping into the rubber filler neck of the main tank.

If you also have the auxiliary tank lower than the filler cap, double tap it high and low on the filler neck so you can refill both tanks at the same time.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
1/5/12 3:58 p.m.

want to attract all the wrong attention? Add a HUGE fuel tank to the bed of your pickup and drive up from Florida on I95. I can guarentee you will get stopped a couple of times to search for drugs.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Reader
1/5/12 4:03 p.m.

You should just make one huge tank like that van in Gumball Rally.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
1/5/12 4:55 p.m.

My buddy has triple tanks in his Chevrolet 3/4 ton. I drove it and you sucked a tank dry and rotated a valve to find the other tank.

It usually emptied as you were going down the highway at full speed. Carb setup, of course.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill Reader
1/5/12 6:11 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: If you put the auxiliary tank higher than the main tank, you can let the auxiliary tank gravity drain into the main tank by tapping into the rubber filler neck of the main tank. If you also have the auxiliary tank lower than the filler cap, double tap it high and low on the filler neck so you can refill both tanks at the same time.

Genius!

Gravity: Its not just a good idea, its the LAW

spnx
spnx New Reader
1/5/12 9:37 p.m.

Nope, but my Daimler SP250 has one stock. My dad used it on the first day he bought the car new, when he ran out of gas. It works

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W9p2C5TNMrADocsn5zey81AuvRr4LQKtCoVZGXlvySJSmZfbxjuORcwfMT7W8VKU