Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/23/23 5:55 p.m.

Too many idiots as I travel the Midwest selling hoses.  Need a dash cam.......what day ye?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/23/23 6:40 p.m.
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
3/23/23 6:42 p.m.

While I don't have an answer for you, I would like to take this opportunity to welcome all of the future spammers of this thread throughout the years. 

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
3/23/23 7:34 p.m.

I have zero first hand dash cam knowledge or experience... But will provide this for your, and all future spammers', convenience:

GRM Dash Cam Google Search

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/23/23 8:07 p.m.

Nowhere digs as deep into dashcams more than the link I posted above.  Heck, they even have a forum section to talk about each model if you really want to geek out.  Most of their nput seems to be British as you can see in their on-road videos.  

I have a couple Anker Roav models.  It is wedge shaped like the VIOFO models in the link I provided above.   They have worked well.  If I were buying now, I would highly look at the new styles that offer a rear camera too.  Could be great if you get hit in the rear and the offending party tries to skip out.  Of course, maybe less effective if front license plates are not popular where you are.  

What I want to share most is placement.  If you buy a model with a screen, I suggest you avoid the common placement of center dash like similar. 

You might think, great, I can see whats happening.  Temporarily it is interesting to drive down the road by watching the screen but its dangerous and distracting.  Most distracting for me is then at night, in the dark, you have this rather bright screen in your line of sight.  You might think, "I can see the screen to make adjustments."   But, consider how far forward the dashcam is on the windshield.   The reality is, if you do need menu or setting changes you will likely remove the dashcam from its mount and pull it closer to you to read.  

So, for those reasons, I mount my dashcams like such, very well hidden by the rear view mirror: 

Then, by just folding the rear view mirror away, you have easy access to seeing the screen or removing the unit from its mount.    

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/23/23 8:28 p.m.

I have a pair of dash cams from that other thread for sale for dirt cheap if you want em. Used them for about 18 months but don't have the crazy commute anymore. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/23/23 8:58 p.m.
Javelin said:

I have a pair of dash cams from that other thread for sale for dirt cheap if you want em. Used them for about 18 months but don't have the crazy commute anymore. 

I'm interested, pm sent

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/23/23 8:58 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I've bought 2 of the cheap ones off Amazon that were in your budget range. Both have front & rear cameras, so the display just straps over the rear view mirror. One is in the van, the other in the RV, and they work fine. 

I also got a small Garmin unit for my work anniversary & put it in the Fit. It's self-contained forward-facing only, and is compact enough that it's basically hidden behind the rear view mirror. No idea how much it costs, but it's been working fine too. 

adam525i
adam525i Dork
3/23/23 10:30 p.m.

This was a good watch 7 months ago and dives into the guts of these things.

cfvwtuner
cfvwtuner Reader
3/24/23 12:19 p.m.

I have a cheap $40 amazon one.  It works well enough.  Saved my bacon when some idiot ran a stop and I t-boned them.   They said I flew through the intersection.   I let it play out, cop said that it was he said she said....I said I have a cam. Cop watched the footage. Showed my full stop, and them rolling through theres right into my lane.  Their insurance paid for everything and they got a ticket

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
3/24/23 2:00 p.m.

I have one of these in every vehicle I own as well as all of the kids cars. 

They have already saved us from one accident where a lady pulled out in front of my son on the interstate and he tagged her in the rear end. We sent the video to the insurance company and that was the end of it. 

You also get to see things like this. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/24/23 2:16 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

That looks decent.  What else do I need?  Can I hard wire it easily?

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
3/24/23 2:56 p.m.

It comes with everything except a micro SC card. Get a good card, the cameras are hard on them due to the constant loop recording. 

SanDisk makes a series of high-endurance cards that seem to work well and do not need to be replaced every year or so. 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/24/23 7:02 p.m.

I have a pair of Garmin Mini2 dashcams. Small, decent pic (not 4k or anything) and very discrete. You never even know they are there.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qwGzhkLVGmTHOunTUgarIObVMCoDsqiRSngKDKSbjOrM4BGd1jwE82qbjtrcD2Z7