1 2
Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/23/17 12:57 p.m.

In reply to tb:

I have not seen the $50 Drill Doctor, so can't comment on it. I have one that cost me about a bill maybe 5 years ago. I assume that's the current $150 version. About the only additional accessory I can think of is the large bit holder thingie. It came with one for smaller bits, but the large one lets you do big stuff. Can't remember how big off hand, at least 3/4", maybe up to 1". I really like the thing. When I dull a bit, I put it in a jar. When I am out of bits to dull for a size, I go through the jar and sharpen them all at once and start over. Again, it isn't the cost savings in drill bits, it's the cost savings in time and gasoline running to the store when my last drill bit goes out.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
1/23/17 5:24 p.m.
tb wrote: Is the Drill Doctor the preferred method or should I check out another brand? Can I get away with the $50 model or should I go straight to the $150 version? Are there any must have accessories that I do not know about?

Mine is marked XPK. Not sure what the K is for but it looks like the XP model on their website. IIRC, I got that one because it would do split-points. So far it has sharpened any bit that I wanted to sharpen.

So unless you need the 2 angle function I do not see a need for anything more than the $80 XP model.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
11/9/18 8:54 a.m.

Zombie thread,  canoe deleted

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/3/18 9:20 a.m.

another canoe

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
12/3/18 9:37 a.m.

Try using cutting oil rather then WD40. You can buy cutting oil at any big box home supply store. Look in the plumbing dept. where they sell the pipe threading tools. WD40 is good for drilling aluminum but for steel you want a good cutting oil.

And do try to find a way to slow down that drill press speed.

On mine I tend to drill almost everything on the lowest setting which is around 250 rpms.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
12/3/18 11:02 a.m.
RevRico said:

I was surprised how few options there were without the damn quick change end that ensures you'll never drill a straight hole.

LOL.  WTF is up with those?  I got some at Lowe's.  Chucked one up and spun it.  Looked bent, but it just wasn't concentric with the lump of metal on the chuck end.  Total garbage!  Took it back and got a refund.  I try to avoid Lowe's Depot at all costs, but they're just so darn cheap and easy. 

Aw, shoot!  Zombie thread suckered me in!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4gIfwVRX2fnIhtzNwmAp62QlkIUAciwLmPsWgLtEfthUOluDBYCSX7cj4SfyORKw