1 2 3 4 5
Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
12/8/19 9:59 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Those Pen Fs are neat little cameras, aren’t they?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/8/19 10:00 a.m.

The desire for a K1000 is kinda what kicked this off. That's what we used in high school. Then I thought, Wait, I have an A-1 upstairs. I'm not going to mess with the A-1 until an expert checks it out. 

Had a talk with my photo advisor last night (Hi, Mark), and I think my next camera will be a Fujifilm X100F--or its successor. (Assuming there's one announced very soon.)

That would give me something totally different than what I'm using now. The goal is just to have fun with photography. 

And, I admit, this video helped seal the deal:

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
12/8/19 10:22 a.m.

The Olympus Auto-Eye was the first Japanese Automatic exposure camera. Dad bought his on Okinawa when he was stationed there in the ‘60s and gave it to me last year. 

https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/Olympus_Auto_Eye

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/8/19 11:08 a.m.

I've had a Mamiya/Sekor 35mm forever, but these days it sits on the shelf in the closet.  I periodically look at it and wonder what I should do with the thing.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
12/8/19 11:38 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

The mirror damper pad on that Canon might be breaking down which may lead to the shutter release sounding different than you remember.  Give that a good look before messing with it further; that stuff usually turns sticky and getting it on the mirror is a big hassle.

I had my A1 serviced years ago and they replaced the damper before it got too bad. Unfortunately the circuit board went bad shortly thereafter and was NLA so I retired.  When I get a minute I need to dig my stuff out and pick up some film. I miss making people come over and sit through slides after a vacation. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
12/8/19 12:36 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Send it to me; I’ll drive it like I stole it!!!

cheeky

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/25/20 4:51 p.m.

New lens came in the mail today... 200mm/f4 telephoto prime by Osawa. I just put a couple rolls through it, so we'll see how it does. 

grover
grover HalfDork
1/25/20 7:55 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I've been shooting these for a couple of years now (the xt-2) version.  I should bring one by when I'm visiting the in-laws in Deland. 

I've shot quite a bit of film and there are several great labs around. Indie film lab, photovision, Richard photo lab, state film lab, etc. not many like to do E6 though. we have a Nikon FM3A, eos 3, Leica mini ii, Pentax 67, Olympus epic, and some others. I've sadly sold my hasselblad H1. I'd really like an m6. 

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
1/26/20 1:40 p.m.

I just finished servicing this recent acquisition, a 1956 Voigtlander Vito IIa, one of the last folding cameras produced.

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/26/20 5:09 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Medium format?

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
1/27/20 6:15 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Nope, this one is 35mm. I do, however, have a couple of Voigtlander medium format folders: a Perkeo II, which is 6x6, and a Bessa II, which is 6x9. I really don't use them a lot, especially the Bessa - eight (admittedly giant) frames per roll hits the film budget hard.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
1/27/20 7:28 a.m.

I dragged my 4 x 5 color transparencies out to show to a friend of my son's who stopped by yesterday.  I'd really like to find an affordable view camera, especially a Sinar like the ones we had access to in Photography class.  Unfortunately, the stuff still commands high prices.

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/27/20 9:03 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I dragged my 4 x 5 color transparencies out to show to a friend of my son's who stopped by yesterday.  I'd really like to find an affordable view camera, especially a Sinar like the ones we had access to in Photography class.  Unfortunately, the stuff still commands high prices.

Check out Intrepid Camera. They are building modern 4x5 view cameras at a very reasonable price. They'll adapt to all kinds of glass and film, from 4x5 sheet to wet collodion to 120 roll film...

https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/products/intrepid-camera

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/27/20 9:04 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

I'm interested in jumping into medium format, but haven't found a camera yet...

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
1/27/20 4:06 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

What do you want to do with it? There are several options for MF, and they are quite different in use. Basically, you have folders, fixed-lens rangefinders, single lens reflex, and twin lens reflex to choose from (plux box cameras, if you want to go lo-fi). The latter two are usually 6x6, sometimes 6x4.5, while the former two can be almsot anything: 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 and even a few real oddballs beyond those. How you want to use it and what you expect to do with the images (and if printing, how large) all figure in to the decision.

FWIW, I use folders, TLRs, and the occasional box camera and pinhole. I really like shooting with TLRs, but the portability of folders makes them great travel cameras.

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/27/20 5:01 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

I primarily do landscape photography, and prints would be in the 11x14-16x20 range... good glass is pretty much top of the priority pile, everything else is negotiable.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
1/27/20 5:37 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I'm assuming you're using a tripod for that sort of thing. I rarely do, but here's a couple of samples of what 6x9 can look like:

These are reduced substantially, of course - the full scans are ~5500x8000. I took these with a Zeiss Super Ikonta C 6x9 with a 105/4.5 uncoated Tessar. The camera was made in 1932.

I'm happy to print up to 12x18 from good scans of 35mm, but MF adds a lot of tonality, which can be important for the kind of photos you're taking.

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/27/20 6:37 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Yes, I have a couple of good tripods. What would you suggest I look for? Folder, SLR... I'm pretty open as long as it makes good pictures...

noodle
noodle Reader
1/27/20 6:54 p.m.

02Pilot....Looks great.  I love a good gray scale

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/27/20 7:16 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Link to my Instagram, which is where I maintain a fair bit of my collection. I've got a bunch more stored on a hard drive, and of course my negatives in a binder...

https://instagram.com/p/B3iJeoEgGrL/

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
1/27/20 7:41 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I'm not on Instagram, so I could only see a few photos before it locked me out, but I get a sense of what you're looking for. Instagram is square format only, yes? Do you want to shoot squares, or are you cropping because of their formatting requirement? If you like squares, a TLR is the way to go in my opinion. Lots of them out there, and generally pretty easy to deal with. Anything you buy is going to be old, so either get one that's been serviced or budget for it. Everyone goes to Rolleiflex first, but they are pricey as a result, and service costs are eye-watering.

If you want another format, I prefer folders, but I also value portability quite a lot. They can have issues, standards out-of-square with the film plane and holes in the bellows being the most common and problematic. Once you've got one without problems they're great. Get one with a rangefinder if that matters to you (judging by the landscapes I saw, you probably don't need one for most of your work).

I'm a big fan of uncoated lenses. Lower contrast and can produce some lovely color (I usually shoot Ektar in 120). You generally won't find these on post-war cameras, so it does limit choices.

I can't really speak to SLRs and fixed-lens bodies, as I don't have any of those in MF. My GF has a Mamiya 645 that she likes a lot. Having seen the photos it definitely has a more modern look than the stuff I shoot.

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/27/20 8:01 p.m.

Instagram crops everything square; that being said, it's really a small part of my photo hobby. 

I'm not really hung up on a particular format size in MF...

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
1/27/20 8:06 p.m.

When uploading an image to Instagram, on the bottom left corner, there's a 'fullsize' function that takes the square cropping away.  I almost never post square images on Insta.  Here's the last thing I posted; https://www.instagram.com/p/B7Z59vxAzoQ/

I've never used one and I really don't have much interest in moving beyond 35mm film BUT the Fuji MF rangefinders like the Texas Leica always interested me.  I don't want a camera so large that it looks like a childsize cash register (looking at you, Pentax 645).

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
1/27/20 8:25 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

The Texas Leicas are bigger than you think. I've seen people carrying them, and they always look like Fisher-Price toys.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
1/27/20 8:33 p.m.

They're tall and wide but they're not nearly as deep as a Pentax 645 or 67.  Every solution is a compromise.  And like I said, I only idly glance at this stuff, as I am doing what I want with 35mm.  I would feel like even more of an imposter shooting with a medium format camera.  Maybe another decade or so of practice.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vEKAhCU4yHolNFpOKCxTRJrNWRDwlI5ztnBc1huV06Aph8v8aEu8vi3dHka2jjiz