5/4/22 6:54 p.m.
Duke said:

Yellow mustard is for hot dogs only

Yellow mustard with a good toasted ham and swiss is good

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/4/22 7:21 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I used to work across the street from a deli that made awesome braunschweiger sandwiches.  Like a pound per $6 sandwich, probably because so few people ordered it that they had to use up a lot of it.

But they used yellow mustard.  Ruins the experience.

I learned to order the sandwich without mustard, pick up a few rolls while I was there, and make like four or five sandwiches. With my own mustard and horseradish.  As a bonus, I never had to de-rind any of it.

The deli I get it from now won't slice it for you, and I don't have any implements sharp enough to cut it.

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
5/4/22 7:46 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

The deli I get it from now won't slice it for you, and I don't have any implements sharp enough to cut it.

Harbor freight sells axes.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/4/22 7:50 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

That mooshes the dogfood without cleanly slicing the cloth/plastic rind/skin/meatpouch, though.

What I need is something like a precision chainsaw.

I have been making do with those 89 cent box cutters they sell at the checkout, but they don't work all that well.  Plus the temptation is strong to lick the knife clean, which is probably a very bad idea.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/5/22 9:57 a.m.

Are yellow mustard haters the same people who think cast iron frying pans work?

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
5/5/22 10:04 a.m.
RevRico said:
J.A. Ackley said:

I love my store-brand stone-ground mustard - I'm a mustard snob, but not as far as brand choice. However, where can one find some good horseradish? Ugh. The stuff out there has no bite!

My local grocer has full on horseradish root. Grate as needed. 

I suggest buying one, cutting it into useable sized pieces then freezing it. It can get funky if you leave the cut end sticking out exposed. 

So I pull a chunk out, cut off like 1/4" slice and toss it, grate what I need, and back to the freezer. 

The finer you grate it the hotter. 

That's awesome. Thank you for the tip. A few years ago I couldn't find any horseradish root at any supermarket near where I live in Tennessee - apparently horseradish is not part of the cuisine here in the South. When I travel back north, I'll get a root and store it like you suggested. Thanks!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/5/22 10:38 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

What about a good bread knife?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
5/5/22 10:53 a.m.

Years ago I was in the habit of making a cold cut sandwich at work each day and shooting a bit of mustard on it.  To prevent the little bit that remains on the twist top from drying into a little mustard scab I'd lick it off.

This went on for a couple of years without incident (my own mustard container mind you) until one day we were having a company picnic and I was mustard it a pair of hot dogs.   Probably 15 people around and for some reason I became the center of attention at the exact moment my muscle memory caused me to lick the communal mustard bottle.  Talk about feeling awkward....

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/5/22 10:58 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

This is just an intentionally inflammatory remark, plain and simple.  laugh Cast iron frying pans are awesome, and yes, they work, as they have worked since the very dawn of time.  One cast iron skillet will outlast 100 Teflon-coated skillets, cook better, and be better for you.

I won't side with the yellow mustard haters.  Not my favorite, but it has its place.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
5/5/22 11:29 a.m.

Mustard is the King of condiments.

TR7 (Forum Supporter)
TR7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/5/22 11:40 a.m.

I like mustard, and condiments in general. Its hard to find a good mustard sometimes. Anyway, lately I have been making a few batches of my own inspired by this guy. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ktONdU_wXU 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/5/22 11:41 a.m.

If you ask nicely, our local Chinese restaurant will slip you some of their house mustard–not the stuff in the little packets. Theirs has some serious kick. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
5/5/22 11:52 a.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

Horseradish is also really easy to grow, apparently. A friend of mine did that with a lot of success - just make sure that you grow in a pot or two, because it has spreading tendencies and you don't want it to take over the county you live in... Apparently it spreads similar to bamboo if you let it.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/5/22 12:01 p.m.

I just buy the store brand stone ground with horseradish. Tasty and only 99 cents.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/5/22 1:17 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Horseradish is also really easy to grow, apparently. A friend of mine did that with a lot of success - just make sure that you grow in a pot or two, because it has spreading tendencies and you don't want it to take over the county you live in... Apparently it spreads similar to bamboo if you let it.

I am suddenly very interested in gardening.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/5/22 1:29 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

I was just looking into growing proper Japanese wasabi root, maybe I should search a little harder and see about horseradish too. 

3 years for a harvest on wasabi in controlled hydroponic conditions had put a halt to that line of thought. But if horseradish can become invasive, it could kill off a lot of stuff I don't like. 

Oooo promising, Penn State extension has a bunch of growing information.

golfduke
golfduke Dork
5/5/22 2:02 p.m.

Horseradish is definitely a weed... Just like Hops- they continue to be the only two varietals of plants I can't seem to kill, haha. 

But back to mustard-  This is clearly rhetorical, because all mustard rules as the superior condiment.  What can't it do?  yellow mustard for burgers and dogs... honey mustard is the perfect white meat baste on smoke or charcoal... whole seed spicy mustard is the perfect sandwich accompaniment... Dijon makes the perfect viniagrette dressing... 

I love them all equally.  You will find no mustard hate from me. 

Bonus Thread points for bringing me back to the Glass Mustard jar nostalgia too-  I have the fondest memories of the steel butter knife clanking around in a mostly empty glass Gulden's jar back in the day at my Memere's house during pool breaks in the hot summers... And along with the Welch's Glass Dinosaur jelly jars, served double duty as our water glasses as well.  I still keep one of each in my glass cabinet to this day, an homage if you will.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
5/5/22 5:42 p.m.

One of my favorites for dipping pretzels, chic fingers, whatever:

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
5/5/22 5:53 p.m.

Horses for courses, the right tool for the job, however you want to put it...

Oh, and in the specialty tools drawer...

nervousdog
nervousdog HalfDork
5/5/22 9:28 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

https://mustardmuseum.com/

Did you know there was a national mustard museum? Now you do.

Been there. They have lots of imported mustards as well as vintage bottles and advertising. It's kitschy fun.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
5/5/22 10:48 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

If you can't get a cast-iron pan to work, you are doing something wrong.

Count me amongst the "Any mustard is good" crew. Best I've ever had came from a Deli in Boise on what was probably the best Reuben I've ever eaten. Century+ old sauerkraut recipe, whole-seed stone ground mustard, and old-world pastrami, all on marbled rye.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/5/22 11:06 p.m.

I'm a 7 day a week sandwich guy with Mustard always the go to.

Now I'm hungry.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/6/22 12:23 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Wow that looks good!

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
5/6/22 12:26 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) :

It was amazing. Too bad it's an hour and a half to get there from my house...

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
5/6/22 12:57 p.m.

Typically Kosciusko mustard. But I break this stuff out if I want something with a real nasal passage opening punch to your face. A dab will do ya. It's HOT.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VPmPEJmqfFf6F4nw6UfdRignaRwbjEg4kqlC1on4KzftyqGmGAzf0Le69Mf3nDbl