1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/29/23 5:33 p.m.

Totally digging my Fujifilm X-T3. 

Currently only have a 23mm lens for it but just ordered a 50mm f/2. :)

Been playing with some lights, too. The big one is the Pixel G1S, and the little one is the Neewer RGB61. I want to say I have about a hundred bucks in both.

The little tripod came free with a camera I bought back in the days of film. Strap is by Couch. The little flash came with the camera. 

You can find pics here, but here’s one:

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
3/29/23 7:11 p.m.

I'm still rocking a refurbed Canon Eos that is at least 7 years old at this point.

I should really upgrade, but I don't have any reason to other than I wanna. 

Edit: one thing I have been battling is focus when looking through the lens.  From other factors I assume my near-sight is fading somewhat. Not sure how I use that knowledge to make sure my pics are in focus, though.  Do glasses work through a viewfinder?

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
3/29/23 9:26 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Edit: one thing I have been battling is focus when looking through the lens.  From other factors I assume my near-sight is fading somewhat. Not sure how I use that knowledge to make sure my pics are in focus, though.  Do glasses work through a viewfinder?

I wear glasses while shooting, no problems... although my prescription isn't for "near sight".  Depending on the EOS model, there mightshouldbe a little knob above the viewfinder that adjusts the focus of the viewfinder/prism to help account for people's vision, iirc.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
3/29/23 9:42 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

I'll look at the viewfinder for a little know.  Thanks.

David S. Wallens
3/29/23 10:03 p.m.

Yes, most modern cameras feature diopter adjustment. Here’s an article from B&H explaining it. 

Can make a huge difference. 

j_tso
j_tso Dork
3/29/23 11:09 p.m.

I bought a Fujifilm X100T back in October to play with, haven't done a real outing with it yet, just sunsets and blooming flowers.

David S. Wallens
3/30/23 9:43 a.m.
j_tso said:

I bought a Fujifilm X100T back in October to play with, haven't done a real outing with it yet, just sunsets and blooming flowers.

How you liking it? Totally digging my X100V. 

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
3/30/23 9:51 a.m.

In reply to j_tso :

I've really enjoyed my X100F. It really does handle like a film camera, and you can set ut up to be as manual or as automated as you like. The output is quite film-like as well, though it usually still needs a bit of massaging afterwards to my eyes. Check out Fuji X Weekly for a bunch of recipes for film simulation using in-camera settings if that's your thing.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
3/30/23 10:14 a.m.

I used to be heavily into film photography (heck, my first real job was at a photo and hobby shop), so went through multiple SLR cameras.  When digital hit, I stuck mostly with long zoom point and shoot cameras.  Shortly before the last challenge, I started looking for something better.  Seems like mirrorless cameras are going to be the future, but I couldn't stomach the prices for a decently reviewed one.  I bought a Canon Rebel T7 kit DSLR as a stopgap.  It's definitely more cheaply built than my old film cameras, but produces way better photos than what I had before.  My 2022 Challenge pictures came out great, but I still need to play with the settings.  I mostly let the camera do the thinking for now.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
3/30/23 11:15 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I like it a lot, though still wrapping my head around all the settings and deciding what to use in each situation.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Thanks for the link, looks like a great source for inspiration. I'll definitely try out some of the settings posted.

David S. Wallens
3/30/23 12:16 p.m.
j_tso said:

I like it a lot, though still wrapping my head around all the settings and deciding what to use in each situation.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Thanks for the link, looks like a great source for inspiration. I'll definitely try out some of the settings posted.

I figure film speed usually remains constant and use aperture to work with depth of field. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/30/23 12:27 p.m.

Side note: I've noticed some younger people (yes, younger than me) taking interest in "vintage" digital cameras in the same way some of us–myself included–have taken interest in old film cameras.

David S. Wallens
3/30/23 12:57 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Yes, that. From the New York Times: The Hottest Gen Z Gadget Is a 20-Year-Old Digital Camera.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
3/30/23 1:50 p.m.

I still have a Panasonic Lumix from around 2005, it's now a "work camera" to take shots of things I've taken apart with grimy hands.

David S. Wallens
3/30/23 3:23 p.m.

Update: My filter is in a truck around the corner while my lens has arrived in Orlando with an ETA of tomorrow. 

David S. Wallens
3/30/23 3:34 p.m.

And ta-da:

David S. Wallens
3/30/23 3:34 p.m.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
3/30/23 10:34 p.m.

That's like the polar opposite of the GRM New Years game.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/31/23 9:09 a.m.

I need to upgrade my current digital setup. I have an ancient Olympus Pen E-P2. Probably going to get a used newer OM-D E10 MKIII. I rarely use my digital though.

I kind wish I could swing a Fuji but they are expensive and from what I have heard not the best for video.

David S. Wallens
3/31/23 9:13 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

That's like the polar opposite of the GRM New Years game.

I know, right?

Well, box is already in the recycle bin. Hopefully it comes back as another box. 

David S. Wallens
3/31/23 9:14 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

I haven’t used my Fuji for video, but for film, I’m totally in love–traditional controls yet the latest digital guts. The cameras just have the right feel to them. 

New lens currently out for delivery. 

procainestart
procainestart SuperDork
3/31/23 11:22 a.m.

Pro tip: I have read a couple horror stories about B&H and Adorama refusing to take back stuff that was damaged in shipping. I always take video of unboxing now, with "before" closeups showing unbroken tape, etc., the whole thing in one long,  take. In one instance I read about, when B&H told a guy that the damage was on him, he said, well, I recorded the unboxing, and how'd you like me to escalate this, and I don't take kindly to being accused of lying, and they promptly decided to accept the return and send a replacement. Evidence matters, maybe not for a lens filter, but a body or lens? Yeah, I want a recording... 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/31/23 11:33 a.m.

I went fully digital in 2001. My current camera (when it's not the super-convenience of a phone) is an Olympus Pen-F with a few of the high end lenses for the platform. Great combo of size and image, just what I need. Great for shows like SEMA because I can put on a pancake prime lens and carry it in my pocket. A proper viewfiender (well, not through the lens but it's not just a screen on the back) for better visibility in strong light and more stability when shooting long handheld exposures. I've been very happy with the image quality, and the styling of the camera is such that I get the film camera frisson without all the hassles of film :) It also feels like it's built like a brick house.

And pour one out for dpreview.com. Amazon is killing it after nearly 25 years. 

David S. Wallens
3/31/23 11:45 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Yeah, I saw that dpreview.com is going away. Lots of good info in there. Major bummer.

David S. Wallens
3/31/23 11:46 a.m.

Good news, everyone. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3A2cEy5p77d3tf4v6aUBRzNBjMwR4nA0LSUzqD4JVJsecY2hVyVV0rcrydEQ8SB6