Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/9/08 1:20 p.m.

What are your thoughts on HD radio? Great advancement? Just a fad that will pass? Is it something that you'd spend a bit more money to have when shopping for a car stereo?

I'm planning to buy my girlfriend a new stereo for her car for Christmas. I'm definitely getting one with USB. Debating if it's worth the extra $30 to get a unit that receives HD radio. There are quite a few HD stations in Sacramento, and most of the stations she likes to listen to also transmit in HD.

Seems to me like it would be worth the $30, but I wanted to run it by the rest of you to gather your opinions.

mtn
mtn Dork
12/9/08 1:25 p.m.

I don't have it, but some of my friends do. I would get it where I live because the one country station here is pretty crappy, and its all I have to listen to.

For only 30 bucks, I'd say go for it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
12/9/08 1:28 p.m.

A fad, just comparing the technologies. Regular FM is good enough if you can get a good signal, and regular car speakers are nowhere near good enough to tell the difference.

Well you do get a better selection of channels...but maybe I shouldn't comment, I never use the radio and very rarely use sound systems in cars at all.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
12/9/08 1:29 p.m.

No experience with it, but on the surface it seems pretty ridiculous. Sounds like putting whip cream on a turd to me. It seems to me unless you are driving around in a high end Mercedes with a 50 foot FM antenna, the quality problems with a car radio is NOT the source.

Of course being in Sacramento, reception would almost never be a problem, so if she has a very quite car and her stereo equipment is pretty high end, you might even notice the difference (like I say, no experiance). Given an option, the USB port is certainly a better choice (not that you are choosing).

I believe the main purpose of HD radio is to try and distract people from satellite radio. I think the fact that you have to pay for it already does that though...

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
12/9/08 1:34 p.m.

From what I understand digital radio will be a requirement for broadcasters in the next 10 years like digital TV is now. The only way to recieve it will be to have a HD type stereo.

I can't remember the source on this so if I am wrong... well it will not be the first time.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/9/08 1:40 p.m.

I'm not sure I buy the "you won't notice an improvement in sound quality" argument. Yes, stock speakers generally stink. But I can tell the difference between CD and FM on them. Unless you're saying that the receiver will not be able to get more from a digital signal.

And it will have a USB input, no matter what. That is the greatest feature on a car stereo. I rarely use CDs anymore.

And the price difference is actually more like $23, since I won't have to pay shipping on the nicer radio.

I hadn't thought about the possibility of radio being converted to digital. That is happening to TV. It seems less likely to happen to radio, given that AM is still around.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
12/9/08 2:27 p.m.

The stereo(s) I buy for my truck and Spitfire will be HD capable for the simple fact that the one station I listen to 99% of the time broadcasts in HD and apparently the reception is better on the edge of the signal range. We shall see.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
12/9/08 2:37 p.m.

All the same repetitive programming and commercials, but brodcasted digitally.

If you really loved her, you'd spend the $30 on a cheap sat receiver.

I have xm, but I'll be switching to sirius once I get around to getting a new receiver. XM is just sirius without stern now.

Ian F
Ian F Reader
12/9/08 2:42 p.m.

Personally, I can't stand sat-radio... I miss the interaction of local DJ's. Of course, it helps the stations I listen to are commercial free (college stations) anyway. I suppose that's reason why I rarely listen to CD's in the car either.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
12/9/08 3:13 p.m.

The cynic in me thinks it's a plot to make me buy another radio.

The survivalist in me thinks it'll be impossible to improvise a digital radio from a razor blade and a pencil.

The pragmatist in me wonders which digital radio system will "win" for the next few years.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
12/9/08 3:45 p.m.

Is HD radio digital? If so, be prepared for a bit of a downer if there is any kind of marginal signal.

Anyone remember that cell phones are digital (they used to not be right?), you know, no static, so much better. Of course what they did not tell you was the reason there was no static is because if the signal got bad enough it would just cut out!!! So instead of getting interference and barely being able to hear you get nothing? You know: Ca h e ow? Not only can't you hear through the noise, you can't even tell if they are talking (no clues that the signal is bad)!

Well guess what digital television does when the signal gets low? Yup, just drops the transmission. If you normally get static sometime, be prepared for the television version of a cell phone call.

I see no reason why a digital radio would not be the same, how irritating would that be to listen to?!

Keith
Keith SuperDork
12/9/08 6:19 p.m.

There's a digital equivalent of static as only part of the signal gets through - you'll get compression artifacts. You can see it in a TV signal and hear it (like a bad MP3) in audio.

pigeon
pigeon Reader
12/9/08 7:19 p.m.

On XM, you can get it for $77/year if you ask customer service nicely and repetitively, which you can't do with Sirius - that's one compelling reason to stick with an XM radio. I'd be tempted to go HD for only an additional $23, but then again that same $23 can go a long way towards a USB stick loaded with music.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
12/10/08 1:44 a.m.

I've been very hppy with my XM. I don't miss the local dj's at all but then again yesterday the Local DJ decided I needed to hear Kid Rock 11 times while I worked on the wifes car so I kinda wish he'd die a slow painful death like so many of my brain cells did.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
12/10/08 8:14 a.m.

Only one answer: Sirius

The only thing I miss is local traffic ( Columbus Ohi, ya ) There are about 12 traffic channels but not Cols. I switch to AM briefly when needed.

I haven't played a CD in 3 years.

Great on a trip, No interuptions WIDE choie of entertainment

(Listening to Stern , now as well )

hdradiofarce
hdradiofarce
9/19/13 3:58 p.m.

HD Radio is a scam!

htp://hdradiofarce.blogspot.com

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/19/13 3:59 p.m.

Creative canoe, but still a canoe.