1 2
P3PPY
P3PPY Dork
9/19/21 6:54 p.m.

I really want #1 to work, but this is all I have for it

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
9/19/21 7:05 p.m.

The trees were actually my phone, but the rest were with my Canon Eos.  I'll post some raws in a second.  Due date is tomorrow, unfortunately.  VA didn't send notice to the program I was in this summer till Friday night.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
9/19/21 7:19 p.m.

Uploading now.  Let me know if you can't download any of them.

.tif are my edits (and are super large) and the .CR2 are the raws.  I purposefully under exposed most as I planned to edit later and wanted to make sure I kept the shadows.  Not sure if that's correct, but the professor told me to do so, so :shrug:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-jXdYdrJxc7kI0RD3m_zIs3QNet9L7tV?usp=sharing

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
9/19/21 7:20 p.m.

Ok bud, your photog skills are legit. And by that, I mean, I was thinking "wolverines!" with the tank in middle america shots. Seriously. They are berkeleying with me. The urban decay shots are more inline with what is pleasant for me to see. Keep it up and keep shooting.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
9/19/21 7:43 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Underexposed is for saving highlights. I think you usually have to shoot digital like that, but I also am not averse to the idea of blowing highlights or letting shadows go black if that's what you want. Seeing the RAW files confirms my feeling that there's too much contrast and saturation added to the brighter shots. I think you want a lighter hand on those, combined with some careful cropping, and possibly a bit of vignetting. With any sort of photo editing, my suggestion is to adjust it to what is most obviously eye-catching, then dial it back about 25-50% (depending on the photo).

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
9/19/21 8:57 p.m.
02Pilot said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Underexposed is for saving highlights.

You're right.  I knew it was one or the other but couldn't remember which was film and which was digital.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
9/19/21 10:32 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

1, 15, 21

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
11/5/21 7:06 p.m.

So, of the pics chosen, this one got picked to be in the catalogue (not a huge deal, roughly half the people in the competition gets in the catalogue) and since its in the catalogue I have to write a blurb about: me, the subject matter, why I chose the subject, how I made the picture, or any other number of things relating to the picture and myself.

Here's what I wrote, anyone have any comments on changes? I need to submit by Sunday night  If you want a refresher on my truck, here's my thread https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/i-bought-a-truck-17-years-ago/182476/page1/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was not always a car guy, but from a young age I got interested in mechanical things.  With help from my parents, I bought an old car and learned to work on mechanical things.  I met Chuck, a veteran of WWII and Korea who taught me how to handle a wrench; he became like a second father to me.  It is because of that old car and Chuck that I am an engineer now.

Roughly 20 years ago I joined the USAF, then about 18 years ago I bought a truck.  It was the first vehicle I fully paid for.  I’ve put thousands upon thousands of miles on this truck, and created equally as many memories within this truck

The truck waited patiently for me while I was deployed, took me on dozens of treks up and down the eastern seaboard and a trip to California and back.  While driving my truck I have experienced America in almost all of her glory.  Behind the wheel we have visited twenty-three out of forty-eight contiguous states.  We’ve crossed the continental divide, seen Monument Valley, visited the Grand Canyon, trekked up and down the Appalachian Trail, added yet more miles travelled by a voyager to Route 66 and the Lincoln Highway, and felt the salt spray from the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.

I’ve had a dozen first dates picked up in this truck, including one who would become my wife.  I’ve experienced heartbreak and elation in this truck.  I’ve brought home three wonderful dogs in this truck.  I’ve moved homes over six times in this truck and helped friends move their homes.  I’ve helped tow vehicles home, pulled friends and strangers from ditches, and helped direct traffic around accidents in this truck.

In many many ways, this truck is me.  I have seen the world behind its glass, her highways roll along under its wheels, and its people talk to me because of the care I put into this truck.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/5/21 8:46 p.m.

8, 13, 16, 23

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tJqIVA7LWnJQWAABqusRIQg2Kghe9L0lSTqniqAHFrf7VS6OVVj3KaTkduCLaxMT