BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
7/13/19 7:13 a.m.

I've had my Cub Cadet (yellow and white MTD) for several years, and with around 950 hours, it's served me well. However a couple of years ago we bought our home, and with a very large back yard, and we would like to grow a garden next year. Rather than buy a garden tiller, I'd like to buy a used mini tractor that I can use to mow, run a rear tiller, mount cultivators to the bottom, etc. Maybe even plow snow with.

So I'm looking for a hydraulic system, live PTO. Rollbar is preferred.

I know Kubota dominated this segment for years, and they should be plenty easy to find.

Any models to look for? Any to stay away from? I'm not a brand (color) snob but I know those green tractors tend to demand a premium.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
7/13/19 7:57 a.m.

What are you looking to spend?

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
7/13/19 11:28 p.m.

In reply to rustybugkiller :

Five grand and below.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
7/14/19 4:55 p.m.

One thing i didnt see on your list of wants is a three point hitch. You want that. You say you want to mow with it, do you mean mow your lawn with a belly mower? Or mow weeds with a bush hog or sickle bar mower? They have pull type "finish mowers" but i dont know how nice of a job they do. 

Nate90LX
Nate90LX Reader
7/14/19 9:11 p.m.

I hate to burst your bubble, but $5000 is going to require a lot of compromises and/or finding a great deal and jumping on it. In the price range you might find a 20+ year old compact tractor and it will be missing some or all of the items you want.  Luckily the tiller and a rear blade for snow are both easy to add with the 3 point hitch. Also, tillers are usually expensive (some go for $1000 used) and can get bogged down with a small tractor.

As a counterpoint, you might want to consider getting individual equipment for the exact job you need. You can get a nice tiller, 28” snow blower and a basic new or nice used zero turn mower all for $5000. And they will do everything you want better than the compact tractor. Especially mowing, which is where you will spend all your time. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
7/15/19 7:09 a.m.

In reply to Nate90LX :

I would have to agree that $5k isnt going to go very far on a modern compact tractor. Most of them on the market have a loader and front wheel assist, two very expensive options that OP isnt looking for. 

Brandon, have you considered an old farm tractor? In running usable condition you can get a ford 8n or similar for about $2000. You can get a deere 2 cyl gas tractor (some had 3 point some didnt) or an international/farmall (look for the fast hitch, not exactly three point but are easily converted) for around $3000. Look for a common model that sold well, it makes parts easier to find and cheaper. Make sure the rear tires have some life left in them, they are hella expensive.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/15/19 7:22 a.m.

$5k will buy a nice large garden tractor.  

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
7/15/19 8:07 a.m.

How much grass? Acres?

How large a garden area? How many square feet?

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
7/15/19 8:34 a.m.
Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
7/16/19 8:37 a.m.

I think $5000 is very reasonable.  Tractors do have problems, but for the most part they are built so incredibly beefy that they last forever.  Dad and I restore old tractors, and you'd be susprised at how many old JDs from the 30s/40s we've pulled out of the weeds, put gas in it and jumper cables and they fire up immediately.  I wouldn't go too old because safety, but plenty of options out there for $5000.

Many of the JDs from the 80s are in that range.  If you look for the 600-800 series, they make wonderful tractors.  650/750/850 are manual, 655/755/855 are hydrostat.  Lovely critters.

Mahindra started coming on the scene about 20 years ago, and they are the Hyundai/Kia of the tractor world.  Everyone (especially good-ol-boy farmers in the heartland) wouldn't dirty their butt with an Indian tractor.  They are wonderful tractors with nearly 100 years of experience in India which is a heavily agricultural region.  They're very good, but demand has kept them inexpensive.

Kubota is the Toyota of tractors.  They are fantastic, but really hold their value.

Also look to blue Fords from the 70s/80s.  We have a 1978 model 1900 Diesel that is a true workhorse.

A slightly smaller, but possible option.  JD made a 430 diesel for a while that had an optional 3-point hitch.  Rare, but wonderful.  They look like a slightly larger lawn/garden tractor, but 30 hp in a smaller size made for a really versatile buggy.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R9c4gd3KFhdvsU11aPDsIAX3Q6zNzjpUL9z0E6Mf04p2PL2vEP0ZGGo4CYFwkGMX