1 2 3 4
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/13/16 8:05 p.m.

Looks like I might pick up a third job (Oi!) To make my issue manageable. 15-25 hours a week at 10.50-13.00/hr would make my life much less sucky. I'd still have Saturday or Sunday off for activities and smoochie-smooch.

You can do it.

tjbell
tjbell Reader
11/14/16 11:07 a.m.

Well as someone stated earlier my "living" I guess you could call it is based off of 46k a year and im 10k under that. today I got an interesting call from a shop I used to work for and they want me back, and its a bit over 46k a year. but the issue now is, do I want to go back to turning wrenches for more money or sling parts until I die?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/14/16 11:17 a.m.

Sounds like you could use the cash, that's route I'd go until you get things back in order.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/14/16 12:00 p.m.
tjbell wrote: Well as someone stated earlier my "living" I guess you could call it is based off of 46k a year and im 10k under that. today I got an interesting call from a shop I used to work for and they want me back, and its a bit over 46k a year. but the issue now is, do I want to go back to turning wrenches for more money or sling parts until I die?

Neither. Seriously... 13 years in that world and I cannot say this enough: Get out. Find ANYTHING else. That business will sap your soul and make you miserable. Seriously.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
11/14/16 12:06 p.m.

Use the higher paying job to get back on your feet. Once you're steady and stable again, if you don't like it you can look for other, more fulfilling work.

tjbell
tjbell Reader
11/14/16 12:30 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla: Unfortunately, I have a feeling I will be in automotive until I cant work anymore, its really my only skill, and without a college degree I doubt anyone else is going to pay me 23/hr

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/14/16 12:58 p.m.
tjbell wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: Unfortunately, I have a feeling I will be in automotive until I cant work anymore, its really my only skill, and without a college degree I doubt anyone else is going to pay me 23/hr

You're not really making 23/hr is you're not making 46k per year. There are other options. Trust me. 13 years doing that, no college degree. Making better money doing somethign completely unrelated. You're only "stuck" if YOU think you are "stuck".

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
11/14/16 1:29 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
tjbell wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: Unfortunately, I have a feeling I will be in automotive until I cant work anymore, its really my only skill, and without a college degree I doubt anyone else is going to pay me 23/hr
You're not really making 23/hr is you're not making 46k per year. There are other options. Trust me. 13 years doing that, no college degree. Making better money doing somethign completely unrelated. You're only "stuck" if YOU think you are "stuck".

What he said...

Pretty much anything that a person does, qualifies them to do something very different. I am just wrapping up career #5 and none of them have been related in any way.

For example, if I had been a mechanic and then in the parts business, I might be looking at getting into the insurance estimator/ adjuster side of the game. That comes with a neat side-job as the guy who charges $175 to do classic car appraisals for insurance purposes.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/14/16 1:45 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Agreed. I've done a lot of things over the years. At 39 I made a complete change that was different than anything I had done before. I've worked retail (wal-mart, auto-zone), warehouse work (John Deere warehouse), loaded airplanes for a freight company, worked the shipping side of a steel mill, worked in a factory making interior panels, quickie lube, spent 13 years slinging parts and then left everything I knew behind and entered the office/data side of the world and now analyze oil and coolant samples and do microscope work.

All of this with 3 semesters as a Music Education major which meant nothing. The best suggestion I can make, is take the chance. Had I not tried this world, I would have never realized that there was something not sucky in the world for employment.

tjbell
tjbell Reader
11/14/16 1:46 p.m.

Interesting outlook this this stuff guys, I guess I haven't really opened my eyes to doing anything else. I think for the time being (5 years) or so I plan on wrenching, then maybe I will start seeing what else is available!

I often think inside the box about certain things far to much

edit and the 23/hr is the new job as a tech, parts is ~ 17.50 including commission

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/14/16 1:50 p.m.

In reply to tjbell:

In my case, I had to look outside the box a few times. Steel mill closed down, factory laid off all the new workers, airport job cut staff then closed etc. Sometimes you have to try somethign new to stay relevant.

Not to sound preachy, but everything in my life has led me to where I am today and for htat I am grateful. Was I grateful when I was laid off the week of Christmas at the steel mill? Nope. But without htose life experiences I would not be where I am today.... and I like where I am today. So keep your head up.. things happen for a reason... says the agnostic.

EDIT to your EDIT: yeah, but htat 23/hr is only good if you can turn enough hours. I highly doubt they're paying you 23/hr straight time. flat rate right?

tjbell
tjbell Reader
11/14/16 2:51 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla: It is hourly, small indy shop 8-5 no weekends.

As I sit here and type this I am watching two flat rate techs sit and do nothing at my current spot, so luckily I don't have that to contend with

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/14/16 4:47 p.m.

Take the job with the more money 9-5 AND get a Weekend gig and get the car payments off your back.

Then you can consider other job paths. Focus on killing all your debt and get some savings in the bank.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
11/14/16 7:29 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: people ask my why I'm not buying a new minivan. I'm buying a 2013 or 2014.. It's because.. umm.. This.

I'm not sure that's good enough. I've always been the one to buy with cash and 6 or so years old. That worked out great. Then last year I bought a 2 year old Focus for cash thinking the other sucker took the depreciation hit. Even though my hit has been a fraction of buying new it still upset me. Next time I'm buying back in the 4-6 year old range, Toyota preferably.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
11/14/16 7:51 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Any options in the VW buyback/payout plan that might help?

That's for diesels.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/16/16 8:02 a.m.

I actually did a big spread sheet a while back and figured the best by in to a car is at 6 years and millage between 60 & 80 k.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/16/16 8:10 a.m.
Enyar wrote:
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: people ask my why I'm not buying a new minivan. I'm buying a 2013 or 2014.. It's because.. umm.. This.
Then last year I bought a 2 year old Focus for cash thinking the other sucker took the depreciation hit. Even though my hit has been a fraction of buying new it still upset me.

Depreciation is only an issue if you don't keep your cars. We bought my wife's TSX brand new and it depreciated as new cars do. 12 years later she's still driving it. How is depreciation relevant to that?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/16/16 8:21 a.m.

Exactly. I tend to keep cars. If I never get rid of my FR-S, how relevant is depreciation?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
11/16/16 8:41 a.m.

Its huge.

If you never cash out, it just means you blew ~$20k more on a car than the guy who buys one later for $5k and never gets rid of it. Take the time-value of that money over say 20 or 30 years, and you're talking over $100k difference.

Eventually everyone cashes out. Even if we ignore time-value of money: The Dukewife TSX has depreciated what... $20k in 12 years? So approx $140/month. If she drives it another 5 or 6 years, she may get it down to $100/month or so.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/16/16 9:29 a.m.

We keep them until cancer takes them or it's just too much in repairs to justify. With the old Accent, the rear window regulators were done, the AC compressor was toast, the interior was just bad, the steering rack was getting sloppy and it had somewhere north of 250k miles on it. it was 13 years old. Spending $1000 on repairs on a car that could have another grand the next month was not feasible.

The old Elantra we had for 10.5 years. Cancer was claiming it in critical areas, so we traded it. Truck is now over 10 years. It'll be here another 10 minimum. Forte we got at 2 years old, now on 4 years with it and as much as I want a new car, it's going to be with us another 4 minimum.

To us, resale and depreciation are irrelevant.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
11/16/16 6:09 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Take the job with the more money 9-5 AND get a Weekend gig and get the car payments off your back. Then you can consider other job paths. Focus on killing all your debt and get some savings in the bank.

I like this, the parts job may even give you 10-12 hours weekends that would come close to your monthly nut on the car. That give you the weekday job to focus on getting back on your feet; it sucks while you do it but in a few years you'll be better off.

MDJeepGuy
MDJeepGuy New Reader
11/16/16 7:37 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Exactly. I tend to keep cars. If I never get rid of my FR-S, how relevant is depreciation?

Very relevant if you happen to get in an accident. You might plan on keeping it forever, however, E36 M3 happens sometimes

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/17/16 12:03 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Its huge. If you *never* cash out, it just means you blew ~$20k more on a car than the guy who buys one later for $5k and never gets rid of it. Take the time-value of that money over say 20 or 30 years, and you're talking over $100k difference. Eventually everyone cashes out. Even if we ignore time-value of money: The Dukewife TSX has depreciated what... $20k in 12 years? So approx $140/month. If she drives it another 5 or 6 years, she may get it down to $100/month or so.

You're under the assumption that the value will continue to decrease.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
11/17/16 6:44 a.m.

True. But for both the FRS and the TSX, the value will continue to decrease. The bottom of the depreciation curve is years down the road, for sure.

I get it, you're willing to eat the depreciation on a vehicle, and see it as minimal by stretching the life of the vehicle as far as possible. But claiming it is irrelevant is just poor financial reasoning.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/17/16 7:10 a.m.

If you can sling wrenches why not look around for weekend work? Someone needs cam belt, water pump etc on a car and has been quoted $1,000 by the dealer. You buy the parts on Rock Auto and do the work for $750. They save $250 and you make a months payment? that way you only need to work one weekend a month?

Also what parts have you accumulated from old projects and cars? I raised over $1,000 in about 2 months a few years ago by sifting through the garage and basement for old car parts.

It's a pity you took on a loan to pay medical bills. Now you have to pay the cost of the bills plus interest. I've found with hospital bills that you can call them up and arrange to pay pretty much any amount per month for zero interest. I've done that in the past when I've had the cash to pay up front. Why when you can spread it out for 12-24 months for zero impact.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9yTTNo3eHFpJmXFerNR4WNJ8aNMqJiStMAHJMXSFkU7cIcwUdeYZCoRrgSU2etVv