1 2
curtis73
curtis73 SuperDork
3/27/12 7:54 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: The guy who wouldn't spend $84 to properly dispose of C&D waste isn't going to drop big geetas on a panel front dishwasher.

You know me... you really know me. You had me at "geetas."

curtis73
curtis73 SuperDork
3/27/12 7:57 a.m.
Josh wrote: Suck it up and pay for a panel ready one, then. Or start trolling craigslist and the re-store.

That may be the plan, I just wanted opinions first. I would have hated to spend the big bucks and then have one of you folks tell me that the Kenmore panel-ready is just their cheap model without a front panel. Then I would be kicking myself.

Re-store is open tomorrow and I'm going to be there. I'm also looking for knobs for the new cabinets.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
3/27/12 9:27 a.m.

You should spend $900+ on your dishwasher by getting the Bosch and you and your wife will absolutely love it. I also got the shakes spending that much on a dishwasher but haven't regretted it once since. Everything on the dishwasher was better than any other dishwasher I've owned or used before or after. It even has a pan under it to catch leaks and if the pan fills up it mechanically shuts off the incoming water supply - that's pretty slick.

One suggestion - use the dishwasher drain input on your garbage disposal. The dishwasher drains in pulses towards the end of the cycle and it's pretty loud (meaning you can hear it, versus the usual completely silent operation) going into a regular PVC neck but going into the garbage disposal it's silent due to the insulation on the disposal.

procker
procker Reader
3/27/12 11:30 a.m.

In reply to curtis73:

Anyway you could find a decal company to make a panel that fits on the front of the dishwasher? Also, is it imperative to have the front of the dishwasher match the cabinets...I mean, its nice to show off a nice kitchen appliance and it can bring some color to the area too. Just a suggestion.

Also, its weird that they don't have more options for dishwasher panels. They make fridges with TVs in it, look like a full size cabinet, and stuff like that...but no interchangeable panels for a dishwasher? Weird...

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 New Reader
3/27/12 11:35 a.m.

we had a Bosch in a rental and it was quiet but man did that thing smell bad if it didn't get run every couple of days. I don't know if there was an issue with the way it was installed but we only lived there for 6 months so I didn't care to much to find out.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
3/27/12 12:08 p.m.

In reply to jonnyd330:

Mom and dad have a Bosch and it will stink, if it is closed tight for several days.

curtis73
curtis73 SuperDork
3/27/12 2:10 p.m.
dculberson wrote: You should spend $900+ on your dishwasher by getting the Bosch and you and your wife will absolutely love it. I also got the shakes spending that much on a dishwasher but haven't regretted it once since. Everything on the dishwasher was better than any other dishwasher I've owned or used before or after. It even has a pan under it to catch leaks and if the pan fills up it mechanically shuts off the incoming water supply - that's pretty slick. One suggestion - use the dishwasher drain input on your garbage disposal. The dishwasher drains in pulses towards the end of the cycle and it's pretty loud (meaning you can hear it, versus the usual completely silent operation) going into a regular PVC neck but going into the garbage disposal it's silent due to the insulation on the disposal.

That catch pan is pretty neat. Right now we don't have a disposal (and might not get one since we compost anything that would normally go in one) but I'll see what I can come up with. I do have access to the drain downpipe. I might give it its own drain/trap further down the line so its noise will be muffled by the sink trap.

Thanks for the advice!

curtis73
curtis73 SuperDork
3/27/12 2:15 p.m.
procker wrote: Also, is it imperative to have the front of the dishwasher match the cabinets...I mean, its nice to show off a nice kitchen appliance and it can bring some color to the area too. Just a suggestion.

No, not imperative, but if its not flush, I won't do a cabinet panel. I've seen them installed like that and it looks like feces held together with duct tape. Ever see a really terrible bondo job on a fender? Its almost worse than the dent it covers up. That's how I feel about a cabinet door not lining up.

I will either do it right, or not at all. I was hoping to be able to get there without the expensive special dishwasher, but I guess I can't.

Also, its weird that they don't have more options for dishwasher panels. They make fridges with TVs in it, look like a full size cabinet, and stuff like that...but no interchangeable panels for a dishwasher? Weird...

Amen to that.

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 New Reader
3/27/12 2:39 p.m.
pilotbraden wrote: In reply to jonnyd330: Mom and dad have a Bosch and it will stink, if it is closed tight for several days.

If that's what all Bosch d/w do then I will never buy one, that thing stunk up the whole kitchen when we would be away for a long weekend.

failboat
failboat Dork
3/27/12 2:47 p.m.

closed how? with half a load of wet dirty dishes in it?

our samsung will only have an odor in this particular situation. It does not smell after it runs a wash cycle, even if it sits closed for a few days after.

my solution is to leave the door cracked open for a few hours after partially loading it so i am not locking in all that moisture, until we have more dishes to fill it up. Even if i leave the door cracked open for more than a few hours, it wont smell.

I know im not talking about a Bosch, but its something for yous guys to think about.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
3/27/12 3:12 p.m.

In reply to failboat:

Closed with a couple of rinsed coffee cups and a few sets of rinsed silverware. I will stop by to check things when they are out of town and have a cup of tea or something. When I open the door it smells bad, like what you would expect half a load of unrinsed dishes sitting in there would smell like. I run it and leave the door ajar when the cycle is complete.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
8/11/16 10:31 a.m.

So, this thread is four years old, but I'm ressurecting it because I am tired of my dishwasher. We bought a Samsung dishwasher maybe 2 years ago to replace the one that was in the house when we bought it that was on it's last legs. The primary features we wanted was a stainless steel front and for it to be quiet when running. On those counts our Samsung is great. However, I am tired of having to pull it out, take it apart and fix every few months. I think I've had it out and apart 4 or 5 times in less than 2 years. There is a big formed plastic piece along the right side that always gets gunked up and then one of the sensors thinks there is a draining problem or too much water in the tub or something else. I bought a new piece and essentially keep swapping them back and forth after cleaning the 'bad' one with q tips, wooden skewers, bleach, and whatever else I can get up into all the little passesways.

To get to the point, I've had it with this POS dishwasher since it gave the oE error code again. I am ready to buy a new one and just stay away from Samsung in the future. Are the Bosch ones still favored by folks here? Is the smell thing something that is unique to Bosch's? We typically don't go more than 2-3 days without running a load, so I don't think the smell issue would really apply since it sounds like that was from extended non-use.

Any other wisdom or recommendations on dishwashers?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
8/11/16 11:06 a.m.

I had just bought all new appliances this spring, and did a wack of research. ~Most~ of the research indicated that Bosch was still pretty good, but also a lot of reviews saying that they quality just isn't there any more, and they have had nothing but trouble with them.

Like a fool, I went with Whirlpool, because they had a fridge, range, and dishwasher that all looked the same (same style, same finish, same handles), and the OCD in me liked that very much. I may regret that when they start to cack.

The Whirlpool shares the guts of the KitchenAid. It is indeed super quiet, takes about 3 hours to do a load, and DOES NO CLEANER than the 25 year old GE Piranha I took out.

But - I get a 1000sqft shop, and the wife gets new appliances and flooring. Sounds fair.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/11/16 11:12 a.m.

Four years later and a move inbetween and the same Bosch dishwasher is going strong. It does dishes for six people now and we cook at home - run at least once a day if not twice - and the only issue was some mold growth in the bottom, under the stainless grating in the middle. I cleaned it up and ran some bleach through. Otherwise no other issues. It's a champ.

Same with the Bosch washer and dryers - I've had them for close to eight years now I think, and they're running about 10 loads a week right now without a hiccup.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
8/11/16 3:01 p.m.

I've had a Bosch-made Kenmore for 6 years now. I had to take all the hardware out to clean out the passages from gunk over the years just this past Spring for the first time. It washes only reasonably well, and the interior is a bit smaller than the Whirlpool-built units, but as far as reliability and quietness goes it's been perfect.

daeman
daeman HalfDork
8/11/16 4:47 p.m.

I'll throw another vote for Bosch. Ours is almost 7 years old, never a problem.

Mum and dad have had good service from their Bosch.

And after killing several dish washers my partners parents bought a Bosch and rate it very highly, so far it's outlasted pretty much every other dishwasher they've had. (I've never seen people who can kill dishwashers so quickly, 2-3 years is pretty standard for them)

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
8/11/16 6:02 p.m.

We just bought the $800-$900 range Bosch dishwasher with a panel front (to match cabinets) as part of the kitchen remodel, and we've been very pleased with it.

It is nice and quiet, which is nice for the few times we run it when we are around. Since we only run it about 3x per week, we always set the time delay to start after we're in bed... so noise isn't the motivator I anticipated in our case. I am pleased with the third drawer at the top - I thought it would be worthless, but it is perfect for large utensils and shallow bowls. The dishwasher can be loaded in a number of different configurations, and it seems to load very well. Large mixing bowls don't seem to fit well anywhere, but that is always going to be the case.

No weird smells, no issues.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
8/11/16 7:03 p.m.

I am sooooo glad I am single. Do you know how much beer you can drink for 1k?

slowride
slowride HalfDork
8/12/16 8:00 a.m.

I put a cheap Whirlpool in my old condo a year before I sold it (stainless outside but plastic inside). It seemed to work pretty well but wasn't quiet. My new place came with an LG with stainless inside and out, and it's also really quiet, but it doesn't seem too well made. I haven't had any problems with it though.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
8/12/16 8:50 a.m.
slowride wrote: I put a cheap Whirlpool in my old condo a year before I sold it (stainless outside but plastic inside). It seemed to work pretty well but wasn't quiet. My new place came with an LG with stainless inside and out, and it's also really quiet, but it doesn't seem too well made. I haven't had any problems with it though.

We just did the same in our current remodel. Washer was around $320 through slickdeals. Bowl storage is less that optimal but otherwise it works pretty well and we have FREAKING hard water...not just regular hard water. Can't really comment on the quietness because I always run it on a 3 hour delay so it runs in the middle of the night. No more stinkiness once I fixed the disposal and we only run it 1-2 times a week and just keep loading until it's full.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h97BIRWEUsDipSYuBFtbRbOq2FJoAgaJBpcPUqABQOlsXEJU7pXtZ5Risb1H8iW0